Tobey Maguire Waves Goodbye to "Spider-Man"

It's a pretty safe bet that (eventually) there will be some more "Spider-Man" sequels, but it doesn't look like those supervillains will have Tobey Maguire to kick around any more.

You know how actors sometimes get that "two sequel deal" for a big tentpole movie? Yeah, just like Tobey Maguire did for his (really solid) work in the "Spider-Man" movies. Well, producers do that for a bunch of reasons, two of which are: 1. To keep the actors locked in at a "reasonable" price, and 2. To hire new (cheaper) actors when that price gets too high. So it comes as no surprise that Mr. Maguire is presently singing the No More Spider for Me tune.

"To me it seems like this is a natural point for the team to break up because we have a lot of story conclusions that were going along for the main characters for the first two movies and we kind of tie almost everything up for the third movie," is what he told an Australian newspaper, as well as "It feels like a trilogy to me and it feels like the end."

Well. I guess that's that. "Spider-Man 3" opens on May 4th.

Source: News.com.au

Comments

privatepilesleftnipple

bobo boboki

I think they need to re-evaluate the entire situation

Mar 6 - 03:06 AM

The Masticator

Chris Lock

Actually I think they should finish with this movie. In 20 years they can make more. Finish on a high note.(assuming its as good as it looks)

Mar 6 - 03:14 AM

medicineman

Kim Hutton

It sounds to me as if he's asking the studio (and rightly so) "How bad do you want me to stay on as Spiderman?"

Mar 6 - 04:42 AM

cgcbooks

Robert Kimberlin

He's a good actor. He should do more than Spider-man.

Mar 6 - 05:15 AM

JackHorner1979

tom brownbridge

[b]Friendly Neighbourhood Hollywood agent[/b]
I think this series has gone as far as any good comic book franchise can. They have done more things with this series, in a short amount of time than anyone can hope for.
Let it fade away after this, maybe it can reappear in some other form in the future.

Mar 6 - 05:40 AM

mojodaddy

joe fish

Awwww Tobey we'll miss you. There are tons of other characters out there who can play this well, but I did genuinely liked Tobey.

Mar 6 - 06:01 AM

frogleg

Josh Quarles

Well said.
It wouldn't make sense for Maguire to stay on anyway; any more than three, and a lot of people can't see him as anything else anymore (he may have that problem already anyway).

Mar 6 - 06:02 AM

Samwise Gamgee

Ryan Sanderson

Every series needs a stylistic change every now and again. I think Tobey's right. Give it a rest before it kills itself, and maybe down the road when there's a fresh new take with a new creative team, then they can come in and wow us all like Batman Begins did.

Mar 6 - 06:49 AM

Merlin235

Merlin Ambrosius

They will make more. I am not opposed to another director taking a crack at it. Now would be the perfect time for James Cameron to do the Spiderman he always wanted, since he doesn't have to establish an origin.

Mar 6 - 06:59 AM

lrm8

john smith

the bottom line is, spiderman makes wayyyy too much money for them to stop making movies. there will probably be a longer wait for spidey 4, (probably 4 or 5 years instead of 3), but im pretty sure sequels will be made. whether they will be any good is up for debate.
Even though im not a HUGE fan of the spiderman movies (especially when it comes to the villains), i can see that they are made by people for genuinely care for the subject matter. will sony just get some hired gun ala brett ratner to take over their baby?

Mar 6 - 07:51 AM

synergyred

Nancy Elizabeth

Tobey Maguire has the right idea. Stop at the top. But as Irm8 said, it's really all about money. I can only see this leading to less than pleasant places. Although not everyone loves Tobey Maguire as Spiderman, most people seems to like him enough to see the movies multipule times. When you replace any major member of the cast (or creative team, as we saw with X-men 3) you're going to get a fair amount of skepticism from the fans, whether it's warrented (again, X-men 3) or not. And by skepticism, I mean outrage.

I'm all for the give the concept a nice long rest before it's touched again, like the did with Batman Begins. The big question is, is Marvel going to do that? I don't think so.

Mar 6 - 08:03 AM

skasforfags

Andy Grant

Thank god. The casting of all these movies has been terrible, with the exception of Willem Defoe. And I do agree with the sentiments of just starting from scratch a few years down the line with a whole new cast, director, etc.

Mar 6 - 08:47 AM

S0BeURself

Mark Lopez

this is good news. spidey needs a fresh face.

jake gyllenhaal would be awesome. if not someone with that look - less like a bitch more like a hero.

oh and before anyone makes a smartass remark, i havent and refuse to see BrokeBack.

Mar 6 - 09:24 AM

falconhero

kris farhy

you want gyllenhall to be spiderman?

wow ... just ... wow.

Mar 6 - 11:50 AM

buddablz

Jammie Hannah

jake gyllenhaal as spiderman? I'm not too much of a fan that idea.
It would be nice to end it as a trilogy, but of course spiderman 3 will make alot of money. I personally liked Tobey Maguire as spiderman. I just hope the future films doesn't end up with a weaker cast and story filled with second-tier villans.

Mar 6 - 01:00 PM

ck100

Chris Kubat

I think three movies is enough. The more movies you have and the more risk you face for overkill. Also, there shouldn't be any further sequels unless it's for creative reasons and not just for money. The characters and story need to deepen or else it will just end up as some soulless CGI-Fest where you got Spidey against some crazy supevillain.

Mar 6 - 10:52 AM

Snoochieflagship

Andrew Nagy

They have enough history to make many more movies. I will be sad to see tobie go but we will most likely see another spidey flick soon. Venom vs Carnage anybody?

Mar 6 - 11:07 AM

skasforfags

Andy Grant

Because Alien V. Predator was so good.

Mar 6 - 12:03 PM

Modano

T H

No way they'll stop at 3 will the bank their making. And it looks like the third will make more than the other 2 with Venom in it.

Mar 6 - 11:23 AM

Chim

Robby Robertson

Good for him, because he's talented.

Best for him and Raimi to walk away.

Mar 6 - 11:47 AM

falconhero

kris farhy

you want gyllenhall to be spiderman?

wow ... just ... wow.

Mar 6 - 11:50 AM

TortillaSoup

Richard Fernandez

Venom spinoff pitting him against Carnage anyone?

Mar 6 - 11:52 AM

skasforfags

Andy Grant

Because Alien V. Predator was so good.

Mar 6 - 12:03 PM

Critics Consensus
Critics Consensus

Transcendence is a Sci-Fi Snooze

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Summer Movies