Early Production Underway for Spider-Man 4

Sam Raimi involved, but in what capacity?

Yep, just a little more vague mumbling about what might happen on Spider-Man 4, but when Sam Raimi has something to say, it's usually worth listening to.

According to a Comic Con report at Empire Magazine, Mr. Raimi states that while he's not exactly sure which hat he'll wear on the third Spidey sequel, the ball has begun rolling on the project: "I don’t know if I’ll just be a producer on it but if I can work with the writer in such a way so that directing would be right for me, I don’t know. We’ve had our first meeting on Spider-Man 4 and we’re looking for the writer."

Sounds to me like Sam's doing the "gradual bow-out" thing where he stays on as producer but goes on to direct something fresh and non-sequel-ish. (Or maybe a certain ... prequel?)

Two things are certain:

1. There will be another Spider-Man movie.

2. We'll have plenty of time to talk about it because it won't be happening real quickly.

Source: Empire

Comments

Mr. Kong

Sam jacobs

Just start the god damn movie. AND NO PREQUELS!

Jul 31 - 11:01 AM

Mr. Kong

Sam jacobs

Just start the god damn movie. AND NO PREQUELS!

Jul 31 - 11:01 AM

ManofStee1

Alec G

Prequel? Prequel to what? Harry Potter? Silver Surfer? Evil Dead? Who's Your Caddy?

Jul 31 - 11:23 AM

Mr. Kong

Sam jacobs

Spider-Man...

Jul 31 - 12:15 PM

FallenTusken

Galen Hughes

I believe the prequel he 1s referring to is The Hobbit.

Jul 31 - 12:15 PM

Hallarian

Corey Hensley

There is only one Lord of the Ring (Director), and he does not share power! Sam Rami can kiss my *** unless he is doing another Evil Dead. The Spider-man movies to me were always just decent at best. They were corny, poorly acted pieces of popcorn fiction; and the movie mistakes that were caught on film were staggering. All three films could have been a lot darker (Without even altering the source material). I've grown completley bored with them and I think Sony should stop whoring this franchise to any moron who will still buy a ticket. Let die for a few years (Like they did with Batman) and bring it back in a time when they have a director who knows what he is doing (Like they did with Batman).

Jul 31 - 12:42 PM

Brad 3000

Brad Arnold

If you want a "darker" Spiderman, you are an idiot who does not understand the character. Spiderman is not Batman, okay?

Jul 31 - 02:49 PM

Hallarian

Corey Hensley

Chill out Fanboy. If you had paid attention to my entire post and not gotten you Spider-man underoos in a bunch you would have read that I said they could have gone darker "Without altering it from the source material." And the Batman comment was show the difference between two directors. By the way, those who get offensive at the first sign of someone elses opinion and and attempt to throw insults (Like idiot) instead offering up any real conversation bring to light their own ignorance. If you like the movies, fine. I'm not going to insult you for that. But in my 'opinion' they could have all been better.

Jul 31 - 05:11 PM

ggfunk

Greg Mizell

Have you read the last few issues?

Aug 1 - 12:07 PM

Brad 3000

Brad Arnold

Yeah, I know - he's gone all dark and angry post civil war, but honestly, there were also times when Batman was light and campy or The Hulk was super smart. These are not however, the classic incarnations of the characters. And while spidey may be all aggro in this current story tangent, he will inevitably return to being the wise-cracking "friendly neighborhood spiderman" that he has been for the majority of the 40 years he's been around.

Aug 2 - 10:52 PM

Mr. Kong

Sam jacobs

Sadly not; I misread it and assumed he was talking about an SM prequel, which I thought would be stupid...

Go ahead and mock me...

Jul 31 - 01:22 PM

Brad 3000

Brad Arnold

I just want to take a minute to complain about the new comment system. Is it just me or are they still posting "Reply to comment #..." when there are no comment numbers on the original comments anymore? How the heck is that supposed to work?

Jul 31 - 02:51 PM

cgcbooks

Robert Kimberlin

You are right.

Jul 31 - 03:03 PM

cgcbooks

Robert Kimberlin

You are right Brad 3000

Jul 31 - 03:04 PM

CoUcH ToMaToE DoUgIe

Shawn Amoroso

i feel your pain, BRAD 3000! we all should revolt and throw some rotten tomatoes for

these guys doing this to our beloved message boards. how can they do this, is there no

justice? no one asked for this change and NO ONE APPROVES OF IT!

Jul 31 - 08:04 PM

ehizzo

Eric Hines

u idiot the prequel being referred to is the hobbit . update your upcoming movie knowledge noob

Jul 31 - 12:36 PM

Missing Reel

Matt nj

Ehizzo, you're a cliche.

Sam Raimi, just go...now.

Jul 31 - 01:18 PM

ManofStee1

Alec G

Well I know my place now. I'm glad you chose the "tough love" method to use to remind me of a rumor that was never that big of a deal in the first place, so now I can shelve it next to all the other rumors I work on memorizing just in case I happen to post on a website. Now if you excuse I'm going to carve "noob" into my forehead with a razor as penance for commiting that awful crime known as "forgetting something".

Jul 31 - 03:22 PM

Dinalfos 2

Rohan B

Oh crap, they still haven't fired him. Raimi, could you please back the **** away from Spiderman? You failed miserably with the third one. And your sappy, soapy, happy-cheery interpretation of the character was starting to piss me off anyway.

Jul 31 - 11:59 AM

EvansIndians88

Chris Evans

Yea I cant believe how much Spiderman 3 ruined everything. The corny scenes ruined the movie and the whole damn franchise. Should just wait and let som1 else handle it years down the road. The director of it will look at Spiderman 3 and know what not to do with the spiderman character.

Jul 31 - 12:04 PM

Merlin235

Merlin Ambrosius

I'm actually excited to see what they do. Theoretically, no one would be better to do the fourth movie then Raimi, since he should learn from his mistakes. I wouldn't be opposed to a director switch, but it could go either way. The switch could be for the worse, and even with disliking so many things about SP3, it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

Jul 31 - 12:13 PM

Mr. Kong

Sam jacobs

Spider-Man...

Jul 31 - 12:15 PM

FallenTusken

Galen Hughes

I believe the prequel he 1s referring to is The Hobbit.

Jul 31 - 12:15 PM

Hallarian

Corey Hensley

Jul 31 - 12:42 PM

Brad 3000

Brad Arnold

Jul 31 - 02:49 PM

Hallarian

Corey Hensley

Jul 31 - 05:11 PM

ggfunk

Greg Mizell

Have you read the last few issues?

Aug 1 - 12:07 PM

cgcbooks

Robert Kimberlin

You are right Brad 3000

Jul 31 - 03:04 PM

CoUcH ToMaToE DoUgIe

Shawn Amoroso

justice? no one asked for this change and NO ONE APPROVES OF IT!

Jul 31 - 08:04 PM

Maxim

Hrvoje Pratezina

Spider Pig, Spider Pig,

Does whatever a... Spider Pig does....

Jul 31 - 12:23 PM

Marktime

Mark Chandler

Well I happened to like Spider-man 3 so I would like it if he came back to direct a fourth, though I'm not sure if I want all the actors and Sam Raimi to get stuck in a Spider-man franchise that they can't escape.

Jul 31 - 12:24 PM

DRaider92

Doug Semick

I also happen to like spiderman 3. I am soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo sick of hearing that everyone hated spiderman 3. spiderman 3 was not the worst spiderman its the best spiderman, If you cant even tell the differnce between a good movie and a bad movie thats pretty pathetic.

Jul 31 - 08:16 PM

D.M.L.

Dylan L

I love Spider-Man 3 and I hope they just start this damn film. Did anybody else notice that it say's SM4 will come in 2009?

Aug 2 - 01:22 PM

ehizzo

Eric Hines

Jul 31 - 12:36 PM

Missing Reel

Matt nj

Ehizzo, you're a cliche.

Sam Raimi, just go...now.

Jul 31 - 01:18 PM

Jul 31 - 02:49 PM

Hallarian

Corey Hensley

Jul 31 - 05:11 PM

ggfunk

Greg Mizell

Have you read the last few issues?

Aug 1 - 12:07 PM

Brad 3000

Brad Arnold

Aug 2 - 10:52 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Just don't rush it. That was what was wrong with Spiderman 3. There was a really good movie there, they just were in such an all fire hurry to make their hundreds of millions they released it before all the bugs (of arachnids) were worked out and severely damaged the franchises credibility and good name. Take your time and give us the best Spiderman possible which I firmly believe we have yet to see.

Jul 31 - 12:48 PM

Simple

Clint Bell

I disagree actually. SM3 wasn't rushed. They had three years to work on it. It was in pre-production for quite awhile before they started filming. They had plenty of time to make sure everything was right. But in the end, they had a poorly written screenplay. And that's what doomed SM3.

Jul 31 - 01:55 PM

Mr. Jamal Everette Foxx

Nick Zinghini

If they are indeed going to come out with another one, then don't cram it if you can't figure out how to balance it out. The reason a film like Batman Begins, and soon The Dark Knight, works out so well with multiple villains and storylines is because Nolan doesn't try to give each story and each villain equal time. Some villains get more, some get less (even Zsasz got a small cameo). In this case, with a villain like Scarecrow, he got about 20 minutes in Begins, but he'll get more time in TDK and possibly the 3rd movie; it all adds up.

But if you can't find a writer who can interwind stories andcharacters like this, then just make your story simple, ie ONE VILLAIN, and this time make it a good one!

P.S. Also, when Spider-Man isn't fighting or when the movies isn't focused on the villain's story, don't have the movie go on about Peter/May Jane's love life, because that's boring as crap. How much farther can you expand it?! Just give Peter something interesting to do during this time.

Jul 31 - 01:05 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Good call, except I don't think just romance was the problem it was the retarded brand of romance we got from Spiderman 3. I actually thought the romance added to the story in 1 &2, but just got stupid in 3. Like why the heck did MJ just cave to Harry when he threatens Peter? Your boyfriend is Spiderman!!! If he can't handle his business who can?

Jul 31 - 01:13 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Jul 31 - 01:13 PM

Missing Reel

Matt nj

Ehizzo, you're a cliche.

Sam Raimi, just go...now.

Jul 31 - 01:18 PM

South_park300

First Last

dammit, i really WAS hoping for a prequel for Who's Your Caddy

Jul 31 - 01:21 PM

CoUcH ToMaToE DoUgIe

Shawn Amoroso

i know, i heard it was to star method man and ice cube in Are we done yet, motherf*&%^

caddie? it would have been legendary as the first movie to get a negative rotten

tomato rating. Oh, and i hope raimi returns for number 4 and please put the black cat

in it. i love her and we all can agree its time to get rid of mary jane.

Jul 31 - 07:53 PM

cgcbooks

Robert Kimberlin

You are right Brad 3000

Jul 31 - 03:04 PM

CoUcH ToMaToE DoUgIe

Shawn Amoroso

justice? no one asked for this change and NO ONE APPROVES OF IT!

Jul 31 - 08:04 PM

Simple

Clint Bell

Jul 31 - 01:55 PM

Brad 3000

Brad Arnold

Jul 31 - 02:49 PM

Hallarian

Corey Hensley

Jul 31 - 05:11 PM

ggfunk

Greg Mizell

Have you read the last few issues?

Aug 1 - 12:07 PM

Brad 3000

Brad Arnold

Aug 2 - 10:52 PM

New on DVD & Blu-Ray
New on DVD & Blu-Ray

Transcendence, Sabotage, Shōgun...

Pictures of classic movie pairs

Annabelle Trailer
Annabelle Trailer

Horror spin-off of The Conjuring

Laggies Trailer
Laggies Trailer

Keira Knightley is a responsible rebel