Tobey Maguire Feeling the Afterburn

This article contains no information about Spider-Man 4.

This just in: Tobey Maguire enjoys making movies based on comics.

The star of the Spider-Man trilogy -- and producer of a forthcoming live-action Robotech adaptation -- has joined forces with Neal Moritz to assemble a film version of Afterburn, Scott Chitwood/Paul Ens-written, Wayne Nichols-drawn Red 5 Comics title that kicked off in January. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Maguire and Moritz will co-produce, and the story outline looks a little something like this:

The book...is a sci-fi adventure set against the backdrop of a postapocalyptic Earth, whose Eastern Hemisphere was destroyed by a massive solar flare, leaving what life remains mutated from radiation and fallout. The story revolves around a group of treasure hunters who for the right price extract such objects as the Mona Lisa, the Rosetta Stone and the Crown Jewels while facing rival hunters, mutants and pirates along the way.

The Reporter mentions that Afterburn still needs a screenwriter. Time to start sending in those treatments, everyone!

Source: The Hollywood Reporter

Comments

Elixor

Daniel Klooster

Hey, finally another interesting postapocalyptic movie concept. I'll be keeping my fingures crossed in the hope that it's done well.

Tobey Maguire does nothing for me, I'll be interested in hearing more about this movie as it comes along.

Mar 28 - 05:41 AM

TombstoneLawDog

Daniel Klein

I think I'm on record that I generally accepted and even kind of LIKED TM in at least the first two Spider-Man movies, but I do NOT see the natural connection between him and this project.

Mar 28 - 06:41 AM

Shatter24

Jeremiah Rancourt

Let's not forget that Maguire can act and is quite good at it (Cider House Rules and that horse racing movie). Let's not pigeonhole him as Peter Parker, just b/c he's come to epitomize the role (another hallmark of a good actor).

Mar 28 - 07:36 AM

DaHypr1

Jim Huete

this is a pretty cool concept in my mind, i hope they can pull it off

Mar 28 - 08:05 AM

spitting into the wind

ciaran kelly

The movie concept sounds pretty freaking cool I have to admit.
Tobey Maguire is as dull as dishwater though.
He suited Peter Parker perfectly as he was the whiniest, gayest goody two shoes character ever created.It was a creepy form of propaganda how straightlaced his character was. Totally unlikeable. Would he bang Kirsten Dunst already!!!

Mar 28 - 09:47 AM

mysteriousone

Joseph Guiliano

i think you are the whiniest, gayest person ever created. spider-man is a fantastic character end of story. i hope you die a terrible death! i have spoken!

Mar 28 - 12:09 PM

arendr

Arend Anton

If Tobey is feeling the afterburn, he should take a tums or a pepcid AC.

No screenwriter, eh? Too bad I've never heard of this comic.

Mar 28 - 10:38 AM

dahluzz

joe shmo

i heard they're shooting this one and the prequel simultaneously. I think it's called "Beforeburner" or something. hey Tobey's a franchise boy now, right?

Mar 28 - 10:49 AM

arendr

Arend Anton

The prequel will be called "Beforeburn: Tobey Orders the Chili Cheese Fries".

Mar 28 - 11:07 AM

arendr

Arend Anton

The prequel will be called "Beforeburn: Tobey Orders the Chili Cheese Fries".

Mar 28 - 11:07 AM

mysteriousone

Joseph Guiliano

Mar 28 - 12:09 PM

Ruckas356

william mccloskey

i like the idea of going back after important artifacts and a solar flare as far as i know hasnt yet been used in a post apocaliptic movie. sounds good and original. but toby? im not sure.

Mar 28 - 01:00 PM

Unbreakable Samurai

Unbreakable Samurai

I've never heard of Afterburn before, it sounds pretty damn cool though. And I don't mind Maguire, I thought he was a good Spider-Man. Hopefully this gets a cool supporting cast and a good director.

Mar 28 - 02:00 PM

adml_shake

Robin Goins

Toby...you need to get busy on this Robotech movie. While I don't hold out any hopes of it being a wild success the inner child that grew up watching this show just can't wait to see th SDF-1 on the big screen.

Mar 29 - 09:46 AM

Marktime

Mark Chandler

More post-apocolyptic movies need to be made! Make more!

Mar 29 - 08:58 PM

Dark Knight jr.

Kae LaFond

Why are so many movies comin' out these days based off a post-apocolyptic earth? Hmm. O_o

Sep 23 - 09:03 AM

Richard Linklater
Richard Linklater

What are his Five Favorite Films?

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

Emmys
Emmys

Full 2014 nominations list

Planet of the Apes
Planet of the Apes

Watch interviews with the cast