Weekly Ketchup: Disney buys Marvel, WB announces Lobo & Deadman

Summary

This Week's Ketchup features an unusual number of "threequels," with plans being announced for the third entries to the Bad Boys, Big Momma's House and Halloween franchises. Disney's acquisition of Marvel is also big news, and is accompanied by news about other comic book movies like Lobo, Deadman and Fantastic Four. #1 MARVEL/DISNEY: FROM THE HOUSE OF IDEAS TO THE MOUSE HOUSE The big news this week that was pretty hard to miss was Disney's announced plans to buy Marvel for $4 billion, giving them access to the 5,000+ characters created and owned by the comic book company. This gives Disney access to hundreds of characters that appeal to boys (Disney already has plenty of properties that appeal to girls) in areas that include TV shows, video games, theme parks and of course, movies. It is the movie business, however, that is particularly complicated. Back to Article

Comments

R

R P

3D was a fad in the 50s...and the 80s...and now.

Sep 4 - 10:30 PM

Amy S.

Amy Shartzer

Some movies pander to it so you have unnecessary and distracting movement where an actor will stick his whole hand in your face, for no reason. If it serves the story, fine, but if it is the story (Journey to the Center of the Earth) it's crap

Sep 4 - 11:52 PM

David J.

David Jackson

im afraid you may be right. James Cameron is already pimping a 3D television to coincide with the Avatar DVD release.

Sep 5 - 12:28 AM

John Mclane

Graham Robertson

Ok so we can't argue that micheal bay royally violated transformers 2, but lets not forget the great work he done on the first one and that bad boys 1 & 2 were great action movies. It's just a shame for michael that he is the only director in the history of hollywood to ever mess up. Plus he will have big Jer behind him with a rolled up newspaper *no michael.. BAD MICHAEL*

Sep 5 - 12:37 AM

inactive user

Jared King

Bad Boys II STILL gives me nightmares from it's craptasticness.

Sep 5 - 10:23 AM

King Kubrick

Travis Earl

Perhaps I can offer the definitive tale of the extent of Michael Bay's ineptitude. When I was but a young boy growing up in a trailer park in the wilds of northwestern British Columbia, I brought my vhs copy of Armageddon to my best friend and neighbors home. His father, a good man, a carpenter who focused on nothing more than providing for his family, sat down to watch said film with me and my best friend, his son. Now bare in mind he never graduated past the 9th grade, having abandoned school in pursuit of gainful employment (and I don't intend this narrative to in anyway besmear those who come from a poor socio-economic background because that's background I grew up in). We proceeded to watch said film and as it closed, my friend's father turned to me and in utter dead-pan sarcasm said "if the asteroid was that close to earth it wouldn't matter if they blew it up because it would still crash into earth anyway. Thanks for bringing that movie over. Thanks alot." Keep in mind this man had no background at all in anything approaching cinematic criticism. As an average, intelligent man, he was unable to buy into the bizarre fantasy propagated by Bay's film. I just thought I'd relate this story because I can never understand how people write off bay's lack of cinematic prowess as just mindless entertainment. It's not mindless entertainment. It's a direct insult to the intelligence of the audience. And this is coming from a fan of the first transformers film.

Sep 6 - 01:18 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

People still go to Micheal Bay movie's because they enjoy his brand of escapist cinema which requires them not to care about the logistics of an asteroid destroying Earth. It's no different than the generations of movies that would have us believe guns don't need to be reloaded unless it's to precipitate witty dialog, that gorgeous supermodels fall for bespectacled nerds or work at 7/11 or that space scoundrel Han Solo and pampered princess Leia are just really that much better shots than clone killing machine storm troopers who exist for nothing else but the shoot things. Some people go to movies not to see reality, but as a diversion from the crappy news they are inundated with on a daily basis and sometimes that requires suspension of disbelief. Simple as that. I didn't believe a Kansas girl could be transported by a tornado to Oz, but that didn't mean I didn't enjoy the movie. Bay's premises aren't any stupider than those of a thousand other directors who get tons of praise, his execution, well that's still up for debate. Personally I really enjoyed The Rock, Bad Boys, Transformers and yes, Armageddon.

Sep 6 - 10:14 AM

inactive user

Jared King

Well he nailed it. I'd throw in terrible script and sloppy direction, and that's "Armageddon".

Sep 6 - 09:08 PM

David J.

David Jackson

Nothing really worth anticipating here except maybe Kings Speech
Disney buying Marvel will mean kid friendly pictures. Theres a difference between a PG superhero movie and a movie made for kids.
Bad Boys III will surely replace Bad Boys II in my nightmares

Sep 5 - 12:37 AM

Zengine

john Raines

Keep 'em comin', Stallone. Your 60's only last so long.

Sep 5 - 04:46 AM

Dr. Bekk

Matthew Beck

Disney has been putting out more cutting edge, less fluffy material since joining teams with Pixar. With the limitless budget Disney can provide the Marvel license, who knows what to expect from the upcoming Captain America, Thor, and Avengers films? As long as the current Marvel team headed by Joe Quesada, and with great writers like Michael Bendis, stays on board, you can MAKE MINE MARVEL-ISNEY! Just don't let Michael Bay get his hands on anything or I'm OUT!

Sep 5 - 06:49 AM

Lonnie M.

Lonnie Murphy

Disney won't acquire the rights to any of the franchises that are still ongoing until their run is finished...

Sep 5 - 09:34 AM

Lonnie M.

Lonnie Murphy

You do mean complete and utter nonsense right?

Sep 5 - 09:26 AM

Lonnie M.

Lonnie Murphy

Sep 5 - 09:34 AM

Pseudonym

Pseudonym Psychology

Disney is taking over the world.

Sep 5 - 10:03 AM

inactive user

Jared King

Bad Boys II STILL gives me nightmares from it's craptasticness.

Sep 5 - 10:23 AM

King Kubrick

Travis Earl

And now for a sequel to a film that was called puerile and distasteful by a panel of hillbillies: "All Saints Day."

Just kidding. I agree with the general consensus that boon docks saints was entertaining but not revelatory. I enjoyed it a heck of a lot more in my college days. I'll watch the sequel but I'm borderline indifferent about the whole affair.

Sep 5 - 12:18 PM

King Kubrick

Travis Earl

oops wrong thread! Well smoking crack will do that too ya. Now my witty rejoinder is for naught.

Big mama 3 is a sign of the rapture.

Sep 5 - 12:50 PM

lestatthevampire

Tyler D

Heh... at least it's not Big Momma's House 3D

Actually... that might work....

Sep 5 - 12:53 PM

King Kubrick

Travis Earl

I'd buy that for a dollar. There's a project everyone can get behind.

Sep 5 - 01:10 PM

soul assasin k.

soul assasin killer

i think that the fact disney bought out marvel. Shows how ridiulous and repulsive they have been with there movies. I have tried to give marvel a chance ever since they made spider man. But they ccease to impress me. Ive always been a DC man I dont see the big deal with marvel making that move and selling out more by selling to Disney.And DC Just mad marvel look like stupid ases while there selling out DC hired Guy Ritchie (Snatch, and WB's upcoming Sherlock Holmes) Those are hardcore movies ok. They are sticking to what there good at hardcore comic films. But as i said before im done with marvel always have been always will. And im tired of everyone thinking marvels better. They had one good movie(Iron Man) and everyone was fliping out. But what about DC doing Dark Knight. I rest my Case **** MARVEL!!

Sep 5 - 01:09 PM

inactive user

Jared King

That's very fanboy.

Seriously, I love DC and Marvel, and I'm not gonna judge them by the freakin' movies!

Sep 5 - 02:15 PM

King Kubrick

Travis Earl

I'd buy that for a dollar. There's a project everyone can get behind.

Sep 5 - 01:10 PM

Cutler to the rescue

Ted kruts

Soul assasin you are quite wrong. DC has had two good movies ever, Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. Marvel has had Iron Man, Spiderman, Spiderman 2, X-Men, X-Men 2, Incredible Hulk, Blade, Blade 2, etc. See that is one of many many many reasons why Marvel is better than DC. DC does not suck but they are struggling. Marvel made a great move, kinda like how DC sold out to Time-Warner, who owns them. I just dont understand how people can think that Disney will screw with Marvel. This is not Eisner's Disney, Bob Iger is one of the best CEOs in the country. He lets Pixar run Disney Animation, he has the right people in charge he will let Marvel continue to show why they are the market leader. If you think that they will turn everything into kiddy garbage look at Lost, Desperate Housewives, Miramax, Dimension, Touchstone, etc. they are not kiddy at all.

Sep 5 - 02:06 PM

inactive user

Jared King

That's very fanboy.

Sep 5 - 02:15 PM

damon killian

roy williams

I love Lobo, but it sounds like the movie has a lot working against it. Script by the writer of My super ex-girlfriend and Rise of the silver surfer combined with a PG-13 rating sounds like a recipe for fail.

Sep 5 - 03:12 PM

Mandy H.

Mandy Hummer

Who cares!!! My boyfriend thinks the same with me. He * is eight years older than me, lol. We met online at *** AgelessFriends @ c o m ** a nice place for Younger* Women and Older Men, or Older Women and Younger Men,* to interact with each other. Maybe you wanna check * out.

Sep 5 - 03:31 PM

King Kubrick

Travis Earl

I love your insight into cinema Mandy H. Tell us more. Plus I've always been an activist for cougar rights.

I don't know soul assassin, I've always preferred Marvel's pantheon to D.C.'s. Outside of batman, I've found most of DC characters lackluster. Superman is an especially overrated character. Where's the tension in watching someone who's basically God save people. Will superman man save that jet plane falling out of the sky? Of course he ****ing will he's god.

Sep 5 - 04:39 PM

Zaraki

Rick V

Cougars? Watch out for that burnt one... Freddy Cougar.

Sep 5 - 09:04 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Well, I love Marvel and DC, with ol' Superman often being light hearted (occasionally going into darker areas) and ol' Spider-Man having a lot of issues (with the occasional issue just being to beat up Killer Kangaroo). You need light and dark in the world of comics. Batman is dark. Superman is light. Balance. Spider-Man is dark. The Fantastic Four are light. Balance.

Sep 5 - 09:25 PM

King Kubrick

Travis Earl

I don't mind DC so much. The flash is an awesome character. Superman's the one character I could never get behind. But I do think Superman 2 is a great comic book movie solely because he's up against 3 other super powered people in a fight, instead of Gene Hackman's hokey Lex Luthor. That's what singer's supes was missing, a powerful foe. (And we'll all ignore nuclear man from superman iv)

Sep 5 - 09:53 PM

Zaraki

Rick V

OH MY GOD! I CAN MEET A BEAUTIFUL WOMAN ON THE INTERNET!!!!11!1! I'm so going there!

*meets up and it's a middle aged overweight man with only one nostril and a flock of seagulls haircut*

Yeah, I'll pass. keep that crap out of RT.

Sep 5 - 09:03 PM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 350 Comic-Con Costumes!

The Hobbit
The Hobbit

See the final movie's trailer

Weekly Ketchup
Weekly Ketchup

Read the Comic-Con revelations

Photo gallery of great movie spaceships