Marvel Entertainment Announces Its "Big Ten" LineupVariety reports that Marvel Enterprises will now be known as Marvel Entertainment, and that they have ten potential movies lined up to produce, and for Paramount to distribute. Curious to see which characters Marvel didn't lease to the other studios? Well, of course "Captain America" is one of 'em!
"Though many of its best characters, from Spider-Man to X-Men to Iron Man, are set up for adaptations at studios, Marvel has identified 10 characters and groups it will develop as potential feature franchises to produce itself:
* patriotic national defender Captain America
* superhero team the Avengers
* super-spy Nick Fury
* African-American adventurer Black Panther
* Ant-Man, who can shrink to insect size and communicate with ants
* teenage embodiments of darkness and light Cloak and Dagger
* mysterious wizard Dr. Strange
* expert archer Hawkeye
* Power Pack, a young group of sibling superheroes
* martial arts expert Shang-Chi
"We are going to commission a lot of scripts and start the race to see which move quickest through development," Marvel prez Avi Arad explained. "We are not significantly veering from what we have been doing with studios, but we now have the luxury of greenlight rights and better financial benefits.""
Marvel is hoping to have their first feature ready by the summer of 2008.