Expect Several Subsequent "Spidey" Sequels

Remember that silly little buzz that used to go a little something like this? "The third Spider-Man movie will certainly be the last one." Yeah, well, forget that. New Marvel Movie-Man Kevin Feige has stepped in to replace Avi Arad, and this guy's got some plans for the web-slinger.

Excerpted from a rather solid article over at MTV's movie division: "There will be many more Spider-Man films to come," he promised. "We already have stacks of ideas for the next one because of the wealth of stories in the comics. We could be making Spider-Man movies for the next 20 years, based on the 50 years of Spider-Man history we have."

That doesn't necessarily guarantee, however, that Tobey Maguire will continue as the man under the mask.

"When you're concentrating on one movie at a time, there's a beginning and a middle and an end to that process," Feige reasoned. "We've been topping each one as they go, [and if that happens again], that's the time for those discussions."

For a whole lot more from Mr. Feige, including news on names like Hulk, Fantastic Four, Captain America, Ant-Man, Silver Surfer, and more, click right here.

Comments

The Paki Don

Shahbaz Sarwar

Now, as a comic book fan (or former, I stopped reading them, because they cost too much) I think it sounds great that there can be many more Spider-Man movies, but is there a difference between movie fans and comic book fans, when it comes to how much "of the same" you wanna indulge yourself in?

I mean, let's face it, the stories are repetitive in the sense, that the hero always wins, but that's how all movies go, but this trend is easier to follow or accept, when it comes to comic books than when it comes to movies. You can't cram enough of the depth of Spider-Man into the movies, no matter how many you churn out, and in the end, the movies would simply turn into installations that present "what's new" in the Hollywood action set-piece department: Impressive movies with great action scenes, but ultimately hollow.

Luckily, Spider-Man is a more complex hero than Superman is, but given enough time, he'd become bland too. It's just to figure out, where to peak and end matters there.

Is this a big bunch of hullaballoo or is this somewhat sensible?

Aug 28 - 02:10 AM

jeremyd4

jeremy d

"We've been topping each one as they go"

...there's only been two!!

Aug 28 - 02:11 AM

Banana Kid

Johnny Estes

He's probably seen a lot of Spider-Man 3 so far and believes it to be even better.

Aug 28 - 07:34 AM

t-joint

Tom Malmin

"Kevin Feige has stepped in to replace Avi Arad..."

This is now officially the best news I've heard all year.

Aug 28 - 02:18 AM

TheIceGhost

Harry Myland

Well doy; when your franchise is breaking records left and right you're not going to stop the train, even if the stories do get stale. This is Hollywood, they'll churn out Spidey until no one wants him anymore. Correction: they'll churn out Spidey movies until people stop paying to see them.

Personally I think the franchise should end when all the big players who have been there since day 1 decide to move on, but that's just me.

Aug 28 - 02:44 AM

Banana Kid

Johnny Estes

Aug 28 - 07:34 AM

Merlin235

Merlin Ambrosius

Ahhh, good news.

Aug 28 - 08:50 AM

jeremyf1977

jeremy fein

[b]Pros and Cons[/b]
Pros - There's a lot to the Spidey Story.

Cons - Comic Book Stroy to Movie doesn't always Work.

Aug 28 - 09:17 AM

lavatory love machine

juan carlos petruchi

that the third film was suppoused to be the last one makes me think that we'll have the whole venom story on number 3, and not a last minute cliff-hanger shot of the venom suit on eddie brock

Aug 28 - 09:49 AM

Merlin235

Merlin Ambrosius

I don't think the 3rd was ever "supposed" to be the last one. The producers always talked about there being as many as 6 films.

Aug 28 - 10:24 AM

cgcbooks

Robert Kimberlin

If they keep making money, why would they stop making them? I would love to see an older Spider-man in his 50's still taking on the bad guys. That could be entertaining.

Aug 28 - 12:03 PM

FILMCZY

First Last

According to the latest news, the cast of SM3 are returning for reshoots because test audiences said there was NOT ENOUGH ACTION! Now I'm worried. I felt SM2 kept a good balance between character developement and action scenes. The same was true of Batman Returns. Don't screw this one up, Sam...

Aug 28 - 01:21 PM

mysteriousone

Joseph Guiliano

you must have misunderstood. they haven't even had any test screenings yet. it was just sam raimi himself calling the cast back, because he wanted more action. from all signs it seems that this one is gonna be loaded with action. so i wouldn't worry at all.

Aug 28 - 04:13 PM

Mattmovies

Matt Grant

[b]Trust?[/b]
I don't know if I can trust this guy... A lot of stuff in comic books does not translate to screen very well. That's why I'm concerned about Marvel's decision to make their own movies. Honestly I don't have high hopes for it. I'm scared everything they pull off will look like X-men 3. If they do it right, they will incorporate an independent film culture with their comic book culture. I think what scares me is that they won't know where to make changes for the screen. Spiderman works for the fact that the story is about Peter Parker, and I don't really feel like his story can go for more than 3 films. Spiderman 3 sounds like the big finale, and I hope they stop there, while they are ahead. I have a belief that Kill Bill got something right. 2 movies works better than 3, with only a couple of exceptions. A good rule is that most series should stop while they are ahead.

Aug 28 - 02:38 PM

Merlin235

Merlin Ambrosius

I wouldn't worry that this movie doesn't have enough action. James Franco (Harry Osborne) said that this one has a whole lot more than SP2, and now they're adding more. If you're worried about TOO MUCH action....I wouldn't worry about that either. If done well, it plays right into the story. More action scenes wouldn't be detrimental....it would be bad if the action scenes last more then 10 minutes each. Of course, POTC2 had a little too much, so I suppose you CAN go too far.

Aug 28 - 02:47 PM

IMAmoose24

Eric Schulze

Im fine with more spiderman films, I just wont like how harry found out about peter being spidy so early then.

Aug 28 - 03:36 PM

mysteriousone

Joseph Guiliano

Aug 28 - 04:13 PM

Stir

Mike Manzi

It's all messed up now.

Marvel jumped the gun with the SM 3 villans and storyline.

The continuity of SM flicks is all over the place.

Introducing Gwen in # 3.... Please....
Venom should have been saved for # 4 or 5
Harry should not have discovered Peters secret untill # 3 or 4
The Lizard should have been in # 3
So, how many more movies will we have to endure Venom? (sigh)

If they were just honest up front about the # of SM flicks..... oh well, leave it to hollywoodland to ruin it all.

Aug 28 - 04:26 PM

mysteriousone

Joseph Guiliano

your being a little to strict with your expectations of continutiy in my opinion. these are movies based on the comic books, not the comic books being retold exactly. the movies have captured the spirit and the quality of the comics perfectly. they can keep making these movies as long as they keep the quality as good as it has been.

Aug 28 - 07:05 PM

blorenze

brian lorenzen

No one knows how much action there is... we're all throwing in ignorant conjecture. Raimi gets it, so trust him. This one will move in a different place for both Parker and Spider-Man. If this series is going to get stale, I don't think it is going to happen yet. As for cast turnover... that doesn't bother me too much. Kirsten Dunst hasn't been anything but cute, and Peter Parker will always be lame while Maguire has the role... he isn't always supposed to be a geek.

Aug 28 - 04:36 PM

edgarandstephen

steve nonyobusiness

end it already! better to go out with a bang than to go out with everyone getting bored of a ridiculous cycle of sequel after sequel! everyone knows a trilogy should always be the definite end of a series or esle they just start getting ridiculous....(unless theres a long time in between such as Star Wars, -but even then the older actors are almost always replaced) .....if Spiderman 3 just sets up the next one like the second one did, youd already loose most your audience

Aug 28 - 05:52 PM

mysteriousone

Joseph Guiliano

Aug 28 - 07:05 PM

synergyred

Nancy Elizabeth

This makes me nevous. Honestly, I'm excited for 3. Hell, I'd even see a 4 if 3 proves to be good enough. At the same time, I don't know if they can keep up the momentum for more than a 3 or 4 movies, especially if they start replacing actors.

Aug 28 - 07:18 PM

New on DVD & Blu-Ray
New on DVD & Blu-Ray

Transcendence, Sabotage, Shōgun...

Pictures of classic movie pairs

Annabelle Trailer
Annabelle Trailer

Horror spin-off of The Conjuring

Laggies Trailer
Laggies Trailer

Keira Knightley is a responsible rebel