Comic-Con 2006: "Spider-Man" vs. Venom, Sandman...But Not Hobgoblin??Spider-Man 3" were on hand Saturday at Comic-Con to unveil a trailer-sized clip of scenes from the 2007 release, with footage of Spidey's three baddies -- including a closer look at anti Spider-Man, Venom!
Sam Raimi made his announcement confirming what we basically already knew, officially introducing Spider-Man archnemesis Venom (Topher Grace) as one of the pic's bad guys.
Raimi was joined by returning stars Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst, as well as new castmembers Grace, Thomas Haden Church (Sandman), and Bryce Dallas Howard (Gwen Stacey).
The much-antipated "Spider-Man 3" clip that packed in thousands of conventioneers hours in advance (and was packed so tight that many members of the press were shut out) mixed some already-seen scenes with some new, highlighting the digital effects used on Spidey's three nemeses. The new stuff:
- Eddie Brock (Topher Grace) in a church, praying to God to kill Peter Parker
- Unfinished action scenes showing Harry Osborn (James Franco) against a green screen, in a padded suit ostensibly to be filled in later with CGI; the suit appears to be neither the Green Goblin nor Hobgoblin
- Black Venom juice seeping into Eddie Brock on all fours as he transforms into Venom
- Peter Parker looking into a mirror, seeing Venom's reflection
- Sandman rising up from the ground, smashing into people
- Venom opens his mouth, and black stuff spews out into the camera
Raimi wouldn't confirm that Venom originates from space, but did say that, contrary to the comic storylines, Harry Osborn (using his fortune to exact revenge on Spidey) becomes a new kind of goblin baddie, that is neither the Green Goblin nor Hobgoblin!