Comic-Con 2006: "Spider-Man" vs. Venom, Sandman...But Not Hobgoblin??

The cast and director of "Spider-Man 3" were on hand Saturday at Comic-Con to unveil a trailer-sized clip of scenes from the 2007 release, with footage of Spidey's three baddies -- including a closer look at anti Spider-Man, Venom!

Sam Raimi made his announcement confirming what we basically already knew, officially introducing Spider-Man archnemesis Venom (Topher Grace) as one of the pic's bad guys.

Raimi was joined by returning stars Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst, as well as new castmembers Grace, Thomas Haden Church (Sandman), and Bryce Dallas Howard (Gwen Stacey).

The much-antipated "Spider-Man 3" clip that packed in thousands of conventioneers hours in advance (and was packed so tight that many members of the press were shut out) mixed some already-seen scenes with some new, highlighting the digital effects used on Spidey's three nemeses. The new stuff:

• Eddie Brock (Topher Grace) in a church, praying to God to kill Peter Parker
  • Unfinished action scenes showing Harry Osborn (James Franco) against a green screen, in a padded suit ostensibly to be filled in later with CGI; the suit appears to be neither the Green Goblin nor Hobgoblin
  • Black Venom juice seeping into Eddie Brock on all fours as he transforms into Venom
Old footage also in the montage:
  • Peter Parker looking into a mirror, seeing Venom's reflection
  • Sandman rising up from the ground, smashing into people
  • Venom opens his mouth, and black stuff spews out into the camera
In addition to the footage, the panel also confirmed there will be a love triangle between Peter, Mary Jane, and Stacy; in a session with the press, Kirsten Dunst let out a confirmation that at the beginning of "Spider-Man 3," Mary Jane and Peter are indeed a couple.

Raimi wouldn't confirm that Venom originates from space, but did say that, contrary to the comic storylines, Harry Osborn (using his fortune to exact revenge on Spidey) becomes a new kind of goblin baddie, that is neither the Green Goblin nor Hobgoblin!

Comments

Master King Sexington

Tyler Jones

[b]Hobgoblin?[/b]
Why would you even mention Hobgoblin? Of course there's no Hobgoblin for Harry, Hobgoblin is completely different from the Osbornes. How many times do we have to tell you people? But I am a little annoyed that Harry isn't supposed to be Green Goblin though. Raimi, don't let us down now. It seems like every third movie is sucking so please make this the best in the series

Jul 22 - 08:06 PM

Banana Kid

Johnny Estes

Ultimate Spider-Man. Harry's the Hobgoblin there.

Thank you, and goodnight.

Jul 23 - 08:15 AM

ArmyofJuan

Juan Marable

For one, im not sure if Harry is actually the Hobgoblin. I don't remember and i'll check back with you on that.

And for two, even if he is it's ULTIMATE Spider-Man. Ultimate Spider-Man is not in the main Spider-Man canon. All Ultimate Spider-Man is (along with Ultimate Fantastic Four and X-men) is a re-telling and re-imagined version of the old smider-man tales with different twists and such.

I mean, if we want to go by Ultimate Spider-Man, then he should start dating Shadowcat/Kitty Pride in the 3rd film.

Jul 27 - 09:01 PM

dylan21484nj

glenn welsh

maybe Raimi meant that Harry won't have the same crappy costume his father had and that makes him a "new kind of Goblin," or simply a Green Goblin that just looks different from Norman's Goblin.

Jul 22 - 09:07 PM

I Am Remote

Robert Pilkington

I agree. The look of the Green Goblin was a joke. They'll make Harry's better/different looking. I'm assuming Hobgoblin will not be part of this series so as long as Harry is any kind of Goblin at all, I'm sure everyone will be able to connect the dots, despite what color he is.

Jul 22 - 10:04 PM

hellhole

Ken Alleman

Eh. Not sure how I feel about this. I'm not a big Venom fan, but I suppose he could be done well. I'm just not sure that having a thousand villains running around in one movie qualifies as "done well."

Jul 22 - 11:24 PM

Vortec

david mitchell

It will make a billion dolllars.

Jul 23 - 04:50 AM

cgcbooks

Robert Kimberlin

Maybe half a billion.

Jul 23 - 07:20 AM

Vortec

david mitchell

It will make a billion dolllars.

Jul 23 - 04:50 AM

cgcbooks

Robert Kimberlin

Maybe half a billion.

Jul 23 - 07:20 AM

The Iron Invader

Matthew D.

That confirms my fears. Sam Raimi, as a Venom-hater, doesn't understand the character and his relationship to Peter Parker.

Jul 23 - 06:24 AM

dvbtherage

David Bell

[b]To those who think Raimi doesn't understand Venom[/b]
If you actually read any news about the movie, you would know that Sam Raimi is no longer a Venom hater, it's actually his new favorite character. All you crybabies who are angry at the fact that this isn't pulled directly from the original Spider Man need to give it a rest! Do you even realize how many spider-man stories there are?! Raimi hasn't hurt the story in any way. Venom has been a symbiote to a small Eddie Brock, a Large Eddie Brock, and an Eddie Brock with cancer! Let's stop crying and look at the films and trailers for what they really are... 2hr movie adaptions of over 50 years of story.

Jul 27 - 10:09 AM

cgcbooks

Robert Kimberlin

Maybe half a billion.

Jul 23 - 07:20 AM

jram2300

Jose Ramirez

I think that the there will be 2 main villains that fight against Spiderman and the remaining villain will be the threat "introduced" (meaning show his power) near the end of the movie to go into the 4th installment. I think that should make it a very interesting move. If that's the case, I'm sure that Sandman will be without a doubt one of the first two villains. I'm sure he will be fought and defeated. The last villain could either be Harry or Venom. But I think that it might be like this:

Since the Harry character has already been established, the "Harry" situation will be resolved while the Venom story is developing in the background to become a bigger threat in the 4th installment. I've heard that the Venom story is very complex, this is a good solution for his storyline. This makes sense because you mostly see Spiderman with the black suit and at the very end of the movie could end with "black Venom juice seeping into Eddie Brock on all fours as he transforms into Venom." (that sounds a little....) which heads off into the next movie as his archnemesis. If this movie does not do well with 2 main villains, for the 4th installment, they could just concentrate on the Venom character and be back to one primary villain. Also, I think they should end the Harry issue to a rest soon because it'll get old if it still continues in the 4th installment.

Jul 23 - 08:01 AM

ubermonarch

rory morrison

prehaps venom will appear at the end of movie 3 and be a villian in several films, hindering parker in his life and as he battles other villains like rino or vulture (gets them out the way and makes it more of a challenge) and then in, say... movie 8 he starts the final showdown and carnage is introduced and venom and spidey must team up and carnage and possibly venom will be killed off

Aug 7 - 02:48 AM

Banana Kid

Johnny Estes

Ultimate Spider-Man. Harry's the Hobgoblin there.

Thank you, and goodnight.

Jul 23 - 08:15 AM

ArmyofJuan

Juan Marable

Jul 27 - 09:01 PM

djbarry

David Barry

Green Goblin and Doc Ock were a great start to the series, and Sandman continues in that vein. But Venom? Please. The twenty-somethings have enough marketed toward them. Where's the Vulture? The Lizard? Electro?
C,mon, where's the shout-out to the real Spidey fans?

Jul 23 - 08:52 AM

cgcbooks

Robert Kimberlin

I agree.

Jul 23 - 11:50 AM

hellhole

Ken Alleman

DJBarry, I wholeheartedly concur. And I used to think that Sam Raimi felt the same way. Pity, that.

Jul 23 - 11:54 AM

p0pnfresh2002

Patrick Killimett

Can I ask why people don't like Venom? I would think he'd be the favorite villian. Maybe I'm missing something, I can't wait for this movie.

Jul 23 - 08:58 AM

castlerabbit

c j

I hated the Venom character, too. Probably not for the same reasons as Sam Raimi but hating Venom is a good thing, right? I mean I do root for Spider-Man/Peter Parker 100%. Always.

Jul 23 - 10:16 AM

castlerabbit

c j

Jul 23 - 10:16 AM

JoeMovieTack

Joe Russo

[b]I freakin missed out on this![/b]
I was stuck in line the whole time waiting to get in.....luckily some of my other guys were there to catch it...check out their takes @ my most recent journal entry [URL="http://www.rottentomatoes.com/vine/journal_view.php?s=&journalid=266221&action=view&view=public#346757"] By clicking here [/URL]

Jul 23 - 11:27 AM

cgcbooks

Robert Kimberlin

I agree.

Jul 23 - 11:50 AM

hellhole

Ken Alleman

Jul 23 - 11:54 AM

fyoder

fred idesis

does anyone know where they can find a picture or video of the spider man 3 panel and the new trailer? and i wud like to see what the fully formed venom looks like.

Jul 23 - 04:05 PM

ldlobos

Matt Villalobos

[b]new wallpapers[/b]
I dunno if anyone noticed but there are new wallpapers on the official site that might interest you (if you want to see venom...I think)

Jul 23 - 10:50 PM

ldlobos

Matt Villalobos

[b]new wallpapers[/b]

Jul 23 - 10:50 PM

mestomano

First Last

hopefully there is no new trailer from comic con on the net or else they wouldn't bring these great movies to it. i loved every minute of it.

Jul 24 - 01:27 AM

RawIsRamsey

Jonathan Ramsey

Everyone stop complaining...it's Sam Raimi. He spins yarn into gold. The Venom storyline of course isn't going to follow the comic storyline, but neither has GG, Doc Ock, or anyone else for that matter, yet we all love and adore the other two flicks.

Carnage, on the other hand, would be something completely different...

Oh, and villain #4 is Mysterio, played by Bruce Campbell. "Hail to the King, Spidey"

Jul 24 - 09:08 AM

I Am Remote

Robert Pilkington

Mysterio has enjoyed some fame in the books, but as a big screen pick he's a mistake. I can't imagine what they'd do with him to make him more threatening than Goblin or Octavius. I would have gone with Vulture.

Jul 24 - 10:41 AM

Ethan Hawke's 10 Best Movies

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

Pictures of great movie apes

Gone Girl Trailer