Marvel Movie Madness! Part 24: Spider-Man 3

Summary

Ryan: It has to be said: This is the most problematic of the three Sam Raimi Spider-Man films. There are too many characters, too many simultaneous subplots, too many villains, too many meandering lulls in between the big action sequences. With two-plus years to work on the third installment, and with two solid films behind them, Raimi and Co. were perfectly poised to hit another one out of the park. Unfortunately, the director's ambition seems to have gotten the better of him on this go-round. Back to Article

Comments

Superzone

Link O'Fett

Exactly. I hate Spider-Man 3, but Raimi is NOT the one to blame.

Jul 1 - 05:29 PM

T45Red

Mitchell Nash

I agree completely.

Jul 3 - 05:02 PM

roguebot

rogue bot

Yep. When a studio decides to pressure a director into including a character he has no interest in, it will show in the final product.

Venom is already incredibly shallow-- if he's not handled properly by someone who understands his appeal, well... you get Spiderman 3.

Jul 4 - 03:17 PM

MattW

Matthew Wallace

Never saw all the hate for this one, I really liked it. Only thing I didn't like was how they changed Sandman and Topher Grace as Venom. But I did like how Venom looked with the symbiote. I'd give it 8/10.

Jul 1 - 05:31 PM

Superzone

Link O'Fett

Oh Gordon, this site just wouldn't be the same without you.

Jul 1 - 05:33 PM

Superzone

Link O'Fett

All great points. This movie really is a train wreck.

Jul 1 - 05:35 PM

reelguy

Jeremiah Rancourt

Hardly a train wreck. It was a busy film, but it handled all its subplots adequately and its main plot brilliantly.

Jul 1 - 06:08 PM

Manuel G.

Manuel Granados

This movie took all the bad parts of the previous 2 entries and really focused on making them worse.
Peter is more emo, the love story is ALL over the place, villains come in and out.
I just don't like this one at all. It's not the worst movie ever made, it was just a really low note for Raimi and his team. At this point I am pretty sure he hated the series and just wanted out.

Jul 1 - 05:37 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

//well, . . . let's look at PART 3, III, THREES for a minute:

a. JAWS 1 100% Tomatomometer; Jaws 2 56%; JAWS 3 13%

b. The Godfather 100 %; Godfather 2 98%; GODFATHER 3 68%

c. The Terminator 100 %; Terminator 2 98%; TERMINATOR 3 70 %; (Terminator 4 38 PERCENT . . .)

d. NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD 96%; DAWN OF THE DEAD 94%; DAY OF THE DEAD 79%

e. Star Wars 94%; Empire Strikes Back 97 %; Return of the Jedi 78%

f. Star Wars Phantom Menace 62 %; Attack of the Clones 67 %; Revenge of the Sith 80% (a different "animal" . . . these were 4, 5, 6)

g. Batman 71%; Batman Returns 79%; Batman Forever 44%

YEP . . . if there's a 3 NEXT TO THE TITLE . . .it will SUCK compared to the
previous two installments.

----

Jul 1 - 05:48 PM

MattW

Matthew Wallace

Your forgetting LOTR: The Return of the King. That one was a great threequel.

Jul 1 - 05:51 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

CORRECT!!!!! (they say LOTR is all one money . . . but still "3" is in the title). yet BEHOLD: LORD OF THE RINGS 1 92%; Lord of the Rings 2 96 %; Lord of the Rings 3 94% . . . "The 3 Syndrome continues" well, it rated higher than part 1 though. GOOD CATCH. thanks

Jul 1 - 06:03 PM

Ryan N.

Ryan Nolan

The problem with this movie is that Goblin Jr. was the villain that was essential to plot, but he just wasn't exciting enough to carry the bulk of the antagonizing duties so they brought in two more villains who were more exciting to watch but felt useless as their plot lines were completely unnecessary to the story that Raimi was trying to tell. Once the film makers realized this dilemma they should have scrapped the script and started over.

The whole "emo Peter" thing wasn't my favourite, but if it was placed in a better movie I think people would have been more accepting of it.

Jul 1 - 05:48 PM

Justin D.

But wasn't Peter emo enough? Stalking Mary Jane, sulking over his financial woes, did he have to look the part? You know where I saw the symbiote story done really well, the short lived animated show The Spectacular Spider-Man. The art was sketchy but the creators of that show really knew the Spider-Man lore, and their work on the black suit/Venom story arc was superb. And here's something that bugged me about this movie (I know, I know, "what a surprise" lol); in the comics Eddie Brock learns of Peter's identity because the symbiote told him. In the movie Eddie apparently has telescopic vision and uses it to see Peter ripping the suit off nine stories up in a dark church tower. Lazy.

Jul 1 - 08:38 PM

Ryan N.

Ryan Nolan

It was a very lazy movie all around, everything felt like a plot devise just so there could be something to put up on the screen. It was as if they just started filming before the script was even complete and when they realized the characters they wanted to use didn't fit into the plot they just said 'f*** it, we're doing it anyways.' For me it was a really big disappointment because I really enjoyed the first 2.

Jul 1 - 09:42 PM

Ryan N.

Ryan Nolan

About the emo Peter, I'm not saying it wasn't a bad scene as it clearly was, just that if it were in a good movie it would go somewhat unnoticed. It's easier to rag on the worst scene of a bad movie that is already getting ripped on than the worst scene of a good movie that people are praising.

Jul 1 - 09:47 PM

Justin D.

You hit the nail on the head w/ the whole filming before the script was finished thing. This one seems so bad to me because, at the time, I really enjoyed the first two as well. As I said in the post about part 1, this is the entry that made me rethink my love of these movies. I had to ask myself if I ever actually liked any of the characters and the answer turned out to be no. I don't hate the first two, and I can watch them if they're on, but I find myself rolling my eyes a lot. About the emo Parker thing; you definitely have a point there.

Jul 1 - 10:14 PM

MattW

Matthew Wallace

Your forgetting LOTR: The Return of the King. That one was a great threequel.

Jul 1 - 05:51 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

Jul 1 - 06:03 PM

iakobos

J Taylor

I enjoyed SM3 but Venom was completely wasted in this movie. This was an unfortunate circumstance of Raimi not liking and not wanting Venom and the producers and fans wanting Venom. I learned my lesson, I hope the producers did too. Never force a good director to tell a story he doesn't like/comprehend.
The emo Peter under the influence of the symbiote in the bar with MJ didn't work for me.
Still compared to many superhero movies this movie was a good one.

Jul 1 - 05:53 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

Jul 1 - 06:03 PM

reelguy

Jeremiah Rancourt

Excellent review, guys. You give props to Spiderman 3 while also pointing out its occasional weaknesses. Is it perfect? No. Is it still in the same quality range as the other two in the series? Yes, most certainly. Does it rap everything up from the first film? Quite well. I really like Spiderman 3 and think it deserved a follow-up story where Pete's relationship with Gwen Stacy and Dr. Connor could have been more thoroughly explored (The Lizard). Instead, Sony decides to take a similar plot for the originally pitched Spidey 4 under Raimi and reboot the series. Bah, I'm actually mad about this and don't expect to go opening weekend (if at all).

Jul 1 - 06:04 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

I agree . . . the budgets were too excessive for Spidey 4 and I see here that Spidey 4 might have been a total Failure at the box-office if it kept-up its convoluted plotting.

Jul 1 - 06:40 PM

Ryan N.

Ryan Nolan

Gordon, Spider-man 3 was a bad to mediocre(at best) movie for all the reasons that have been posted all over this page. If you liked it that is fine, everyone likes a bad movie from time to time, no big deal.

Jul 1 - 06:06 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

thanks for the consolation. sincerely

Jul 1 - 06:35 PM

reelguy

Jeremiah Rancourt

Jul 1 - 06:08 PM

Ryan N.

Ryan Nolan

JustinD. Just out of curiosity since you seem to be a big comic book movie fan, which films of the sub-genre did you actually like if you didn't like Spider-man 1 and 2?

Jul 1 - 06:11 PM

Justin D.

You know Ryan that's a fair question considering how much venom I've been throwing at these movies. To be fair, some of the movies - like the X-Men films, save the last 3 - that I was harsh on I don't necessarily dislike. It's easy to say a movie we saw and loved almost a decade ago is still amazing when you haven't watched it in a long time and are only working off of memories, but if we watch it again, when we're older, wiser, and w/ evolved tastes in film we might find some things wrong that we didn't see before. We may still like the movie - sometimes not as much as before - and may not. With the Spider-Man film series I'm in the latter category. That said here is a list of comic book movies I do like in no particular order; Thor, Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, Blade, Blade II, 30 Days of Night (don't judge me, it was one of the few non-Twilight vampire movie that came out in a while), Road to Perdition, Scott Pilgrim vs The World, Sin City, V for Vendetta, Red, Men in Black, and Hellboy II: The Golden Army (wasn't a fan of the first one).

Jul 1 - 08:20 PM

Ryan N.

Ryan Nolan

No batman movies, hmmm.... I thought that would be the case as I just don't think we agree on which CBMs were good and which weren't. The one's I felt stood out the most would be the 2 Nolan Batman movies, X2, First Class, Iron Man 1, Spider-man 1 and 2, Watchmen, A history of Violence, V for Vendetta.... I didn't find The Incredible Hulk, Thor or Red to be anything special, but not bad.

Jul 1 - 09:15 PM

Justin D.

Oh crap I left out Nolan's Batman flicks. I could swear I put them in there. Well you can add them to the list because I liked those too.

Jul 1 - 09:48 PM

Justin D.

And I forgot about A History of Violence.

Jul 1 - 09:49 PM

Justin D.

I don't see where we disagree save for the X-Men films and Spider-Man. No, Incredible Hulk, Thor, and Red were nothing special at all, but I was entertained by them (I might have to rethink Red though, now that I think about it). You asked me to list CBM I liked, not ones that I would list as my favorites and from the look of things we agree on a lot of the same flicks.

Jul 1 - 09:55 PM

Ryan N.

Ryan Nolan

You're right, we pretty much agree, I assumed you were one of those against Nolan's Batman and that along with disliking First Class, not thinking much of Spider-man 1 and 2 and X-men 1 and 2 and praising Letterier's Hulk and Thor (which was also assumed) seemed like we were polar opposites. Looks like we really only disagree strongly on the First Class front and are on the same side of the others, just at different degrees.

Jul 2 - 10:32 AM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

thanks for the consolation. sincerely

Jul 1 - 06:35 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

Jul 1 - 06:40 PM

Ethan Hawke's 10 Best Movies

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

Pictures of great movie apes

Gone Girl Trailer