• Spiders

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Spiders Reviews

Sylvester K

November 24, 2012
Despite the low critical reception, I still enjoyed this film, I've watched it quite a few times. The story was fast paced, with realistic special effects and distinctive characters. The cocoons scared me so much as a child. The roaming of the gigantic spider was a bit kitsch and campy, but overall, it's not a bad sci-fi action film.
Matthew A

March 22, 2009
This is one of those highly low-budget films that are so bad that they are good. The plot is mediocre, some of the special effects are laughable and the dialogue is extremelly cheesy.
Recommended for those who like to sit down and watch this movie for the pure sake of having a laugh.
EVERYTHINGISBIGGERINTEXAS
September 20, 2008
Not as bad as the usual briskly made Sci-Fi horror flick. This movie is fairly enjoyable, though only for quick entertainment.
October 4, 2007
Marci (Lana Parrilla), a college student working for a student newspaper about extraterrestrials and other supernatural phenomena, plus two male co-workers (Nick Swarts and Mark Phelan), head out into the California wilderness following a report of alien sightings. There they witness a spaceship crash, see a scientist being shot by a corrupt military man, stow away on a truck that's loaded down with corpses (from the ship), and end up trapped in Majestic 12 headquarters; a military bunker/lab way underground (you need to take an elevator to get down there) where unorthodox experiments have been taking place. Some scientists have injected a tarantula with some alien DNA, said spider laid an egg inside one of the astronauts and said egg has hatched; resulting in a large, web-shooting spider monster with cell-regenerative properties that sinks its fangs into most of the supporting cast. The monster also grows bigger and bigger from one generation to the next, so at the finale we get a house-sized giant spider going on GODZILLA rampage on a college campus and through the city. It's up to Marci and a buff military dude (Josh Green), both in their matching white tank tops, to stop the monster. Not to spoil the ending, but our heroine ends up hanging out of a helicopter on a rope trying to shoot a missile out of a bazooka (that looks like it was made by Nerf) right into the monster's mouth. As one character says early on, "It's like a bad sci-fi movie!" Well, I've seen a little worse. The story and stock characters have been worn clichés for at least 40 years, the dialog is laughable ("We need bug repellent, not guns!"), the acting is bad to fair and the special effects are highly uneven (there's a pretty good animatronic-model spider by KNB and some lame, but scantly-used, computer fx at the end). There's also a sequel.
SaginTheWolf
August 14, 2007
I had high hopes for this movie, but it fell short in story and bringing any good effects or scares.
January 31, 2014
Spiders (Gary Jones, 2000)
[originally posted 4Apr2001]

Gary Jones, the man who gave us the inimitably bad Mosquitoes and various episodes of Hercules and
Xena, is back with yet another movie about big bugs with bad special effects. My local vidshack had this as a two-day rental, something usually reserved for popular films (to keep them on the shelves, natch), which led me to the illusion that it might actually be a worthwhile movie. More fool me.

Once I figured out that it was typical Grade-Z shlock, I wanted to like it. Really. Some of Hollywood's best films of the 80s are on this scale of badness (Night of the Creeps comes to mind, and the wonderfully silly Troll). Problem is, those movies had something that transcended the stupidity. Maybe they just didn't take themselves seriously-a flaw this film has in spades.

It is, however, the first leading role for up-and-coming actress Lana Parrilla (who also popped up in a much more minor way in last year's cult hit Very Mean Men), who, if there is any justice in this world, will be a supermodel soon. Her performance-at least until the obligatory love story crops up towards the end of the film-is the only thing that makes this halfway watchable. Had they spent a few more million on special effects and gotten a better supporting cast, it might have been watchable all the way round; of course, it wouldn't have been a Gary Jones joint, either. *
The Tornado
January 4, 2014
This low-budget film actually surprised me with some of its effective effects. Ultimately, though, this film fails to entertain with a terrible script and bad dialogue.
Sylvester K

November 24, 2012
jazza923
August 13, 2006
Although it is not a good movie, it does have an endearing nostalgic quality to it as well as some genuinely suspensful scenes. The special effects are fine, but the plot is not very organized and it is predictable. Still, not a total loss.