65% Hercules Jul 25

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Spiritual Warriors Reviews

laura m.
February 17, 2011
Someone once said "if you want to change, put your left shoe on your right foot and vice versa, then walk." The Spiritual Warriors writer-producer team John-Roger and Jsu Garcia dare the audience to challenge their perceptions of who we are, what we're doing here and the meaning of success. We're all Spiritual Warriors in our hearts the movie proclaims, whether we know it or not.

Finn, whose only day job seems to be drug running, is one step way from the slammer when the movie begins. Even his acting coach berates his inability to connect with anyone, including himself. And his patient girlfriend shows signs the relationship may be wearing thin. Then, in a chance encounter with an eccentric man, he finds a connection that is both disturbing and strangely comforting. Visions appear soon after, and Finn jumps without a net into an action adventure both across the globe and deep into his soul, -- in a time traveling hair raising saga from Malibu's Pacific to the desert plateaus of Egypt. With the help of special effects, temples and cities rise from the earth before his eyes. He climbs the Great Pyramid in sight of the Sphinx, travels down the Nile, traverses the Valley of the Kings in Luxor and sees his own death in Petra, the ancient lost city carved from pink sandstone. Sword fights on mystical Chumash land compete with good old American violence in Los Angeles. Along the way Finn loses love, is betrayed and learns the answers are inside him: that nothing is impossible, that sometimes you win by surrendering and become rich by giving. He begins to look into his heart, not his bank account or a movie screen for validation. Novel concepts for the spiritually uninitiated. A new world unfolds with more dimensions than he has ever experienced before. The challenge is, do we want to look, or keep our heads in the sand? This is a film that provocatively states religions divide, spirituality unites.

This is Jsu Garcia's first film as a producer, and unabashed homage to his teacher John-Roger, the man who helped him open his eyes and start on a quest to self-discovery that parallels Finn's extraordinary adventure.

The movie is an invitation to a journey to the remotest of all places - inside ourselves.