Splitting Heirs Reviews

½ May 18, 2009
A dull, long, uninspired 87 minutes with occasional fleeting flickers of slightly humorous moments (e.g. the car with the bicycles is fun).
½ October 18, 2006
The actors in this film are certainly trying their hardest but this is a largely unfunny attempt at recreating the classic British farce. It does, however, have one redeeming feature: Sadie Frost (in a small role) is soooo gorgeous and plucky that the film might just be worth seeing if you're a fan of hers (you've seen her in Bram Stoker's Dracula and - maybe - in Paul Anderson's first film, Shopping.)
April 17, 2015
Unwatchable. But there's a pretty funny gag in the opening credits that is worth seeing.
December 14, 2013
Silly, not super great, but ok.
½ June 8, 2013
Not as Funny as Holy Grail or Life of Brian, but very enjoyable--a remake of Kind Hearts and Coronets with a happy ending. That Barbara Hershey, who during the early 70s changed her last name to Seagull after a bird that died while she was filming and who named her son with Caradine "Free"--she changed her name back later and her son changed his to Tom when he was 9--played the hippie mom who named her son Henry Thomas Butterfly Rainbow Peace was a hoot.
August 8, 2012
I had a good laugh with this film, i can't believe i never heard of it until now by fluke i changed the channel.. Splitting Heirs is wack, sarcastic approach to revenge and bitter sweet lies. After the duke (eric idle) was forgotten in a restraunt and never found they quickly replaced him with another baby (rick moranis) brought up westernised he fails to fit into his new role as ruler to England. With many jealous and after his fortune his head is practically on the chopping block.
½ July 4, 2012
This is a very funny film indeed - admittedly it feels very dated and a little clumsy but the script is great and general slapstick feel can be very amusing. Very much worth a watch, just don't expect to be spoon-fed the jokes as its not a modern piece of Hollywood trash which treats you like a 5 year old.
November 25, 2011
Its not a great film, the plot is uninspired and the jokes are very thin, but then again, its light hearted and it has two pythons in, so it's perfectly watchable. Even if only to remind yourself that John Cleese was funny once
July 26, 2010
I liked the film. But i didnīt love it and thatīs odd to say about a Eric Idle ( ex Monty Python work) because I enjoy so much their writing. The story is good but kind of dull at times. But in the end I was able to say: "Nice one!"
May 14, 2010
I suppose you could say that this is a bit loosely put together, but never 'dull' as someone wrote! There are LOTS of lovely moments, lots of surprises, lots of fun: like the fact that - white-skinned, fair-haired and blue-eyed - he believes himself to be an Asian until his mother sees the symbolically signficant silver spoon and tells him he was adopted ...

I love what Eric Idle has done and though I'm not a John Cleese fan, his contribution is enough to satisfy those who are, and not enough to disturb the rest of us! Odd that it's not better-known, I only found it by chance: but well worth a place in anyone's collection and I will certainly watch it several times a year ... ;-)

By the way, he's not a 'lowly bank employee' like the synopsis says, he's a stockbroker handling multimillion-pound deals with his own secretary : but he *lives* in a corner-shop in Southall with his Asian family...