The Spongebob Squarepants Movie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Spongebob Squarepants Movie Reviews

Market Man
September 10, 2012
I'm a huge fan of Spongebob seasons 1-3, which is basically the Golden Age of the show. After this film, the show went downhill and now lacks the smartly written humor it had before. Honestly, almost every episode of the first three seasons are great. I come to this film and vent my anger because it's the turning point of the show... into lame, unfunny, trite. But the film itself is alright; the humor is hit and miss.
Directors Cat
August 16, 2011
I grew up with Spongebob Squarepants, at the time of this films release I was in love with Spongebob and Patrick and I was over the moon when I found out there was going to be a film released. The first 3 seasons of the show were the best...and then this was made. After this film the writers were fired and the creator of Spongebob Squarepants left the show to nickelodeon. The show was then driven into the ground and became un-funny and predictable. This film is an under rated animated classic that is close to my heart and the last good material I ever saw of Spongebob Squarepants. Hilarious!
michael e.
July 21, 2010
Probably one of the funniest animated films of all time. The film follows the show very faithfully while adding on some new twists to it and it ends up being probably one of the best, if not the best, TV to movie adaptation. The timing for the jokes are fantastically well pulled off, and they keep me laughing every time I watch the film no matter how many times I watch it. Also the comedic voice acting and characters also add to the humor of the film and it is pulled off very well. Also having the film take place in the live action world for about 15 minutes adds a lot of new material that the film can work with, and the scene is pulled off phenomenally well when adding the cartoon characters to the live action world.
½ January 22, 2007
Spongebob is palatable in twenty-minute doses, but ninety minutes is waaaay too much.
Movie Monster
August 8, 2010
Spongebob was my favorite cartoon for the longest time. That changed when Phineas and Ferb came out. The Spongebob Squarepants Movie was released toward the end of show's glory days. In 2006, the show made a turn. A turn in which it can never escape from. A turn in which the show becomes, dare I say it, unfunny and uninteresting.

The show is basically about a manchild sea sponge and his crazy misadventures around the underwater world of Bikini Bottom. In the movie, Spongebob's boss, Mr. Krab's rival, Plankton, steals King Neptune's crown and frames Krabs. The king is set to execute Krabs if Spongebob and his dim-witted buddy, Patrick, don't come back with the crown in six days. So Spongebob and Patrick go on a perilous road trip to the far end of the ocean to retrieve the Neptune's crown from the forbidden Shell City. However, a hitman hired by Plankton named Dennis is after the two.

Rule #1: Take Spongebob as it is.

The film is its own thing. If you grew up watching Nicktoons like Rugrats, Doug, and Ren and Stimpy, I reccomend this one. Even if you don't watch the show, there are some stuff in the film that you can enjoy. Don't expect it to a magical work of Disney's, a smart Pixar film, or a fantastic Studio Ghibli film. Its a cartoon. Cartoony enviroment and characteristics are present throughout. So take the film as it is. Don't expect more of less.

The scripting in Spongebob episodes range from "good" to "average". The scripting in the film is pretty good. They crack some good jokes. However, there is nothing hilarious. You will laugh but your side won't hurt. If you want that to happen, watch something from the minds of Monthy Python, Mike Judge, or Seth McFarlane.

Tom Kenny nails his voice work on Spongebob. Although, he is a totally overused voice actor. If you love him in the show, you'll love him here. A lot of voice actors from the show shine here. Hillenburg adds some well-known actors into the mix as new characters. We have Jeffery Tambor (Hellboy) playing King Neptune, Alec Baldwin (30 Rock) as Dennis, and believe it or not, Scarlett Johansson (Iron Man 2) as Neptune's daughter, Mindy the Mermaid. The new voice cast does well and knows how to add cartoon-like attitudes into their characters.

Lastly, the animation. The lighting is darker and the characters' designs look a tad different but still impressive. There are some live-action sequences that are shot with a good vintage look. Its the best blend of animation and live-action I've seen since Roger Rabbit.

The Spongebob Squarepants Movie is a fun adaptation of this once-great show and features enough for adults and non-fans as much as it has kids. I'm giving it a 80% because it is just to darn entertaining, memorable, and quotable. The show will never go back to these roots and if it did, it will not be the same.

"I listen to public radio."
March 3, 2011
A childhood favorite, Spongebob ismy favorite TV show of my childhood, i still watch it. After not getting the promotion for The Krusty Krab 2, Spongebob goes into depression. Soon Plankton discover Plan Z, where he steals King Neptunes crown, sells it to Shell City, and blames Krabs. When Neptune threatens to burn Krabs, SpongeBob offers to go to Shell City and get the crown back. Soon Spongebob and Patrick on the way must face Bikers, Monsters, a Dark Trench, a Cyclops, and a Bounty Hunter hired by Plankton. The movie is funny, cool, and has quotable times. The story is ridiculous, just the TV show though just remember. I enjoyed this movie a lot, its really fun.
November 27, 2010
Spongebob was my favorite show as a kid so I definitely saw this movie many times. It is more of a sentimental value thing now. How about that Avril Lavigne theme song?
Kyle F.
August 11, 2010
It substitutes the genuinely clever humor from the show's earlier episodes with continuous silly facial expressions. Although Patrick and SpongeBob make a terrific team, this movie obviously suffered from lack of SpongeBob-Squidward chemistry. New characters are unwelcome, and the film seems to make fun of cheesiness while being cheesy at the same time. Some consolation, however, can be found in the rich and often dark animation.
August 3, 2010
Goofy Goober song will have you understanding the coolness of Spongebob immediately.
½ July 28, 2010
great for kids and the whole family. if your an adult there isnt really a reason to watch this. has funny moments. B
½ January 13, 2010
I didn't find it quite as good as the show, and I am in love with the show! Therefore I really, really liked this movie!
May 28, 2008
I'll admit that I LOVE Spongebob because it's stupid-funny and I don't have to think about most of it. It appeals to kids and adults alike and 20-30 years from now when all of today's cartoons are long gone, this is the one that people will still remember. Not Ben-10 or that Phineas and Ferb garbage, Spongebob is a true cartoon classic. But for some reason, the movie just didn't pan out all that well. Maybe it's too much live action intertwined or just because for some reason it's too boring but it just doesn't stand up to the regular show. Worth watching, but not much else.
½ April 17, 2007
Truth be told, I haven't always been a fan of Spongebob. I had heard a lot about the show before, but dismissed it as a weird-looking Nikelodeon product made solely for kids. Not until now, when I took the time to watch some whole episodes (as well as this movie), did I discover and understand why everyone likes it so much. And boy, did it teach me a lesson in not judging something beforehand. Because the more I saw, the more I fell in love with its characters. Not since the golden days of The Simpsons during the 90's, have I enjoyed watching an animated series so much. And I'm happy to say that it was just as great in this larger format. A really enjoyable watch, full of fun and adventure. So if this doesn't put a smile on your face, I regret to inform that you're as humorless as Squidward ;-)
May 30, 2006
SpongeBob SquarePants: And after the promotion ceremony, we're gonna party till we're purple.
Patrick Star: Yay! I love being purple!

A wonderfully enjoyable comedy that brings Nickelodean's SpongeBob Squarepants to the big screen. Its a lot of goofy fun that makes me smile.

I've been a big SpongeBob fan for a long time and I'm not a young child, I started watching while I was in High School and still enjoy him nearly a decade later. A lot of people (non-children) seem to enjoy SpongeBob while high. I don't do drugs, but I still find SpongeBob very enjoyable due to the combination of some weird imagery, absurdest humor, and the innocence of SpongeBob's character.

Squidward Tentacles: [Finds SpongeBob in his shower with him] SpongeBob, what are you doing?
SpongeBob SquarePants: I have to tell you something.
Squidward Tentacles: Whatever it is, can't it wait until we get to work?
SpongeBob SquarePants: There's no shower at work.
Squidward Tentacles: What is it?
SpongeBob SquarePants: I just wanted to let you know I'll be thanking you in my managerial acceptance speech today.
Squidward Tentacles: [shouts] Get out!

The story involves SpongeBob's journey to prove himself worthy of a manager's position at his job by helping retrieve the stolen crown of the king of SpongeBob's home town, Bikini Bottom. The stolen crown is the result of another plot created by the evil Plankton to succeed in his evilness. SpongeBob and his best friend Patrick must now go on their mission and complete it before they are too late.

What certainly helps is how the plot does actually matter. It serves a purpose to keep the film going and even lends itself to a couple of themes involving responsibility while remaining true to oneself.

That being said, this movie is perfectly enjoyable due to it having the same sense of humor that it does on television. It doesn't necessarily try to up the ante, just make a good enough story to last for 90 minutes. Although it does feature not one, but two amazing cameos. Alec Baldwin as a ruthless bounty hunter (comedy gold) and David Hasselhoff as David Hasselhoff (comedy platinum).

I wouldn't say its an acquired taste, but if enjoy the show at all, or Nickelodean's Nick Toons, or feel like having a good goofy time, then this can appeal to you. It certainly makes me smile.

Attendant #1: You two dipsticks wouldn't last ten seconds over the county line.
SpongeBob SquarePants: Oh, yeah? We'll just see about that.
[they drive over the line; a thief stops them]
Thief: Out of the car, fellas.
[thief drives off with Patty Wagon]
SpongeBob SquarePants: How many seconds was that?
Attendant #2: Twelve.
SpongeBob SquarePants, Patrick Star: In your face!
½ December 18, 2008
"Bigger. Better. More absorbent."

Something nefarious is afloat in the depths of Bikini Bottom: King Neptune's crown has been stolen, and the prime suspect is Mr. Krabs, SpongeBob's boss at Mr. Krabs' Krabby Patties. Despite the overwhelming evidence against Mr. Krabs -- not to mention having been turned down for a long-awaited promotion at the restaurant -- SpongeBob (voice of Tom Kenny) refuses to believe that his boss is responsible and teams up with his best friend, Patrick (voice of Bill Fagerbakke), on a mission to Shell City, where he hopes he can exonerate Mr. Krabs and return the crown to its rightful owner. Of course, this is no easy task; once outside the safety of Bikini Bottom, SpongeBob is faced with the overwhelming dangers of the sea, not the least of which being a cyclops that many believe to be responsible for the deaths of countless other unfortunate sea-creatures who ventured outside county lines.

The movie is conventionally animated, with SpongeBob and Patrick on a mission to reclaim King Neptune's crown. SpongeBob's boss, Mr. Krabs, has been framed for the crime, so our heroes hit the road for a forbidden zone known only as Shell City, where the crown supposedly has been taken. SpongeBob is not completely altruistic since he watches the world revolve around him. He's upset that he's been passed over for a promotion at the Krusty Krab restaurant where he toils a bit too happily as a minimum-wage slave. He figures that by saving the boss, he may take the manager job from Squidward, his boringly stable coworker. Along the way he and Patrick encounter a hit man biker named Dennis (voiced by Alec Baldwin) and Neptune's mermaid daughter Mindy (Scarlett Johansson), who encourages the two on their quest. Despite the juvenile antics, the movie has a well-defined sense of humor, thanks to creator Stephen Hillenburg, who links his love of marine biology and animation with a message that kids can accomplish the most just by being kids.
June 5, 2006
Man, if there was an Oscar for cuteness, this would've have cleaned up. Even though Scarlett Johanssen doesn't have a good enough voice to warrant her being cast in this, I liked it anyway. Heehee, "psychic wall of energy".
February 19, 2008
October 2, 2007
Wow...I can't believe this is a Cartoon, Well done...Both 4 Adults and children ^_^
½ October 21, 2006
Accidentally saw it because all of my friends watched this movie in the video that time... But this movie quite funny... Even that, I still says that I still hate that yellow creature and his stupid pink creature...
July 14, 2007
Funnier and less irritating than the series Spongebob Squarepants has some nice sureal moments. Of course there is always an air of being wacky for the sake of it and whenever the scriptwriters felt themselves sinking they seem to throw in somehing absurd. An easy watch but essentially this is an extended episode which will satisfy fans and fly past most others.