20% The Identical Sep 05

—— Sullivan & Son: Season 3

Sports Night - Box Set Reviews

gillianren
July 12, 2007
Okay, look. I know. You all expect me to loathe sports, and you're quite right. I absolutely do. (Well, some of it's not bad to watch, though I find pretty much all of it tedious to participate in.) And yet I'm giving a 9 to [i]Sports Night[/i]. What gives?

Let's start with the fact that it's not really about sports. Oh, sports permeates the whole thing. Whole episodes revolve, at least in theory, around events in the world of sports that I don't understand and couldn't care less about if I did. However, what's more important is whether Dana and Casey or Jeremy and Natalie are together or apart. How Isaac is doing in recovering from his stroke. And will the station be sold and dismantled?

Dana, incidentally, is Felicity Huffman. Casey is Peter Krause. Jeremy is Joshua Malina of [i]West Wing[/i]. Natalie is Sabrina Lloyd of [i]Sliders[/i]. And Isaac is Robert Guillaume.

And there's the other thing, right there. This is from 1998-2000; nobody had heard of half these people yet. (William H. Macy, who does a recurring character, was somewhat better-known.) This is a training-ground for actors who are [i]at worst[/i] Hey-It's-That-Guys.

And it's funny and silly and sad and thoughtful. It's worth a look. Heck, if it has the word "sports" in the title and [i]I[/i] like it, how bad can it be?
etchy
October 18, 2004
I ended up wasting a bit of time this evening watching the Red Sox - Yankees AL championship game 5. It actually was a pretty great game, the Red Sox are one loss from elimination, so they had to win to stay alive. They tied it up in the 8th. Unfortunately, it STAYED tied til the 14th inning. Apparently it won some record for being the longest playoff game in MLB history. (I'm glad I only watched the last 7 innings...)

Speaking of sports... and continuing my negative rating streak to two in a row... Sports Night is an annoying show. I used to dislike it a lot when it was on Comedy Central, and the moment I laid eyes on it again last week, I was reminded exactly why... It tries really hard to be witty and smart and dramatic... its annoying. I don't know if I should blame the writers or the actors, probably both are equally guilty. But its not funny when it tries to be funny and the drama stuff is just crap to me.
adobedream
July 4, 2004
Dead Man: Beautiful. This rating will only go up after I view the movie again.

Sports Night: It's pure gold.

Six Feet Under: Amazing. Depressing, but amazing.
Fugitive93
March 8, 2004
[font=Trebuchet MS][size=3]So last night was fun. The previous drunken entry sort of blew things out of proportion. Steve (other Steve) did get out of hand and it sucked. But otherwise, things were good. Conversation was good, the laughs were plentiful. Kyle made a very special connection with Kristin. All doubt about who she likes better was erased. And I was alarmingly ok with it. Disturbingly ok. She is hot, she loves movies, she has an enormous vocabulary. But she was making out with Kyle. And it didnt bother me. Still doesnt. Its not that I met someone else at the party. I have no other prospects except busy Laurie from across the street t the Courtyard. I am going to the movies with Kristin this week, and by then she will have likely went out with, or even slept with, Kyle. And I feel I must reiterate, I'm all good. I am scared that this might mean I am maturing. I dont want to be mature. I want to be the guy who chuckles when Erin (the holy roller from last Thursday) says the word "sects," but it comes out sounding like "sex." Then she follows with the statement, "I'm not very good at it, but my mom is awesome." That one brought the house down like Queen Latifah. Anyways I will say that last night was awesome, but not as awesome as the two previous evenings over at Zack and Alicia's. [/size][/font]
[font=Trebuchet MS][size=3][/size][/font]
[font=Trebuchet MS][size=3]Today at work was pretty funny. Kyle's brain was jelly on account of the combination of hangover and lovesickness. He was giddy. He has really fallen for the girl. This prompted Audrey to dryly comment, "I liked you better when you were depressed." That was low, hilarious and insightful all at the same time. It was interesting because it was true. Audrey has gotten so used to Kyle's woes (all relating to the girlfriend of 4 years he broke up with back in the fall, when our little weekend triumvirate was formed. They bonded over mutual insecurities and heartache. Throw in me for comic relief and counsel and you have an asylum thats run by the inmates on Friday, Saturday and Sunday afternoons and evenings. But anyways the dynamic is changing. [/size][/font]
[font=Trebuchet MS][size=3][/size][/font]
[font=Trebuchet MS][size=3]Sports Night is one of the greatest shows in the history of television. It is easily the best-written show ever. It balances absurdity, characters and plot with deft precision. Quotable as all hell. My DVD box set is one of the best $45 I have ever spent. The first 16 episodes are amazing. The rest are awesome, but the first 16 are above and beyond. Brilliant stuff. 45 half hour segments of the best television show ever. Yeah I decided that I am anointing it. Better than Friends, better than Seinfeld, better than Cheers, better than Cosby Show, even better than ER. [/size][/font]
[font=Trebuchet MS][size=3][/size][/font]
[font=Trebuchet MS][size=3]And I am so very very tired. The last 2 days of work have been pure unadulterated hell. Maybe I will tell you about them tomorrow....or later today.[/size][/font]