Spring Breakdown - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Spring Breakdown Reviews

January 8, 2010
Quite honestly it is a pretty bad movie, but the actresses in this are all so funny I couldn't help but laugh a few times, even if it was in a cringing sort of way. Kind of like a second rate Romy & Michele, but not as funny, and loses points for the inclusion of Sophie Monk (the lips are as bad as the acting).
½ November 30, 2009
Oh, come on! When I see names like Jane Lynch, Parker Posey, and Will Arnett paired with SNL staples like Amy Poehler, Rachel Dratch, and Seth Meyers I am thinking that there might be something funny going to happen even if just borne of improvisation.
I was really wrong.
This was horrible.
This is a Rachel Dratch creation and was stillborn.
This is a very talented group who need to fire their agents for having them put into this long SNL skit cr@pfest.
There were a couple of decent set ups and some funny performances and for that it gets 1.5 stars. The premise was old, the jokes were mostly stale, it basically flatlined out of the gate.
I am very upset with myself for watching this through until the end and I hope that this great group will come together again in some form or another and redeem themselves having taken a few showers to get the stench off first.
Miss this.
September 22, 2009
Add a review (optional)...
May 14, 2008
Hilarious... I just love Amber. : )
June 11, 2009
You might look at this cast and say "how could you go wrong?" and you would be right to think that. I went in (based on the cast list) assuming this was going to easily be a "five star" comedy extravaganza.

Over all this was very ammusing and at times "laugh out loud" funny.
From a comedy stand point, the cast is obviously AMAZING. Not listed here are: Seth Meyers, Missi Pyle, Jane Lynch who were all really good.

Oddly (but not totally surprising) was the fact that amongst all of these comedic power hitters, the person that stole the show was Missi Pyle in a fairly minor role as the alcoholic spring break cougar - "Charlene". Missi seems to get a lot of work, but someone needs to write a film (or tv show) that really showcases her talent. She is HILARIOUS.

Also worth noting was Jane Lynch as gun toting (Republican?) "Senator Hartmann". Imagine if Sarah Palin & Gov. Ann Richards were one person.

Sadly...while the film is filled with some really funny scenes and lines (made even funnier by this exceptional cast), most of the writing and the story itself were sub-par. Better suited for an SNL sketch.

That said, it is worth seeing...just don't let the cast listing get your hopes up too high.
½ June 12, 2009
It was a bad sign when this finally showed up on DVD instead of theaters, but it wasn't a total waste of time and probably would have actually turned a pretty nice profit had it been promoted well and released in mid-march. It does feel like a lengthened SNL skit at times, but the three leads are obviously having a good time and with an extended cameos by jane lynch and seth myers as well as an all to short one by poehlers husband, will arnett, you do get some good laughs. You won't think about this movie after you watch it, you probably wont remember much of it a few hours later, but it is fun at the time, that counts for something.
½ September 5, 2012
I really enjoyed this little piece of gem. Laugh my whole way though. Kinda silly and campy, but the lines were hilarious and the story itself is really cute. The humour used was pretty decent, not like the comedies these days.
½ August 26, 2009
The film starts and ends with no discernible purpose, plot, jokes, characters or screen time for anyone who isn't Amy Poehler (but it's okay, she's very funny), but it's still an amusing, sometimes funny movie that boasts and incredible cast and a hilarious Missi Pyle.
September 9, 2008
It is direct to DVD but I did enjoy this movie because I enjoy most of the actors in it. I'm not sure if I would have liked it so much if I didn't.
½ May 23, 2009
I love Amy so decided to watch this movie...it's kinda cute....nothing to complain about at all.
March 29, 2013
Fun times with a few wacky ladies. This is all the proof I need that you CAN be too old to go on Spring Break.
October 14, 2009
I can't believe so much crap gets to the big screen and this--while no artful film--gets shunted straight to video. It's fun and campy enough and woman-centered enough that I enjoyed it for what it was.
September 4, 2009
I have no idea why it took song long for this to see release. Two of my favorite women, Parker Posey and Amy Poehler star in this pretty amusing story about middle-age nerdy women who go to Spring Break in Florida. A lot of the humor you expect in any wish-outta-water story, but it is fun to watch the two I mentioned. All created unique characters and Jane Lynch was a bonus. Also with another funny pretty woman, Missi Pyle, someone I didn't appreciate before. The movie did glorify hedonism to an extent, but moreso to show how the three women had built that lifestyle up in their respective minds.
½ February 7, 2014
I like Amy Poehler. As a comedic actor, she has fantastic timing and sensibilities, and is one of the better comics to recently graduate from Saturday Night Live. Which makes it even more disappointing how amazingly "meh" this film actually is.

Also featuring Parker Posey, Rachel Dratch, Seth Meyers, Sophie Monk, Missi Pyle and Jane Lynch, this film tells the story of 3 lonely women who crash a spring break to mind the future Vice President's daughter.

I'm guessing the hilarity was meant to come from the way that the 3 leads all fell into 3 different college stereotypes, but I'll admit whatever the joke was, it passed me by. Not much happened here at all, only a couple of minor chuckles.

Disappointing film.
March 3, 2013

"Becky, arn't you tiered of being a door mat, letting the Masons of the world just win all the time?"-Ashley Hartmann (Amber Tamblyn)

Captures the absurdity of the scene.

"Just drink the damn thing!"-Charlene (Missi Pyle)
½ February 27, 2013
Funny almost entirely due to the wildly talented cast not so much the writing which is not terribly original if not entirely cliche. Enjoyable.
August 29, 2012
This film is utterly hilarious as it is awkward. The perfect cast. I would have gone with a different route with the ending, talent shows and those types of competitions have been done. But Posey, Pohler, and Dratch make the perfect match as three awkward friends with one awkward friendship you just can't help but laugh at what they go through together and how they react to what's popular and what they missed in college. A must see comedy. If you enjoy laughing 'til tears come out, you'll love this film.
½ September 5, 2012
½ May 15, 2012
not as terrible as it's being reviewed..!
½ September 21, 2011
First off, let me just say I am not quite sure why this movie is rated "R" cause it says that it's rated 'R" for crude humor and sexual references. But really, the only reasons I see why it was rated 'R' because there was a tiny 'f-bomb' combined with that. So yet another reason why the movie ratings system is messed up since in my opinion, the was barely a "PG-13" movie.
But with that, I didn't care for this movie. I can understand why this premise would appeal to some people, but it wasn't something I enjoyed. The funniest parts would have to be Seth Meyers playing a gay man, and Will Arnet's two minute performance as a blind man.
But other than that, it felt like a really long, awkward Saturday Night Live sketch. And I love SNL, so when I have a problem with a movie that's like a long SNL sketch, there really is a problem. It's giving me a 'Nervy Breaky"!