Spring Breakdown Reviews

June 11, 2009
I really don't know whose great idea this was for a film:

"Let's have three plain, aging comedians run around a beach full of tan, fit young people! For 84 minutes!"

Instant hit?!?

½ December 28, 2009
it was fun watching it. and who wouldn't like Justin Hartley and the crazy parties!!!!
June 16, 2010
Not bad considering the plot was borrowed directly from the Elvis movie "Girl Happy". I was worried it was going to be a 90 minute tampon commercial but that turned out to be mostly unfounded. The talented Parker Posey really pulls together what could have been a big mess.
May 12, 2010
Gayle O'Brien (Amy Poehler), Becky St. Germaine (Parker Posey), and Judi Joskow (Rachel Dratch) were losers in college. Savouring the idea that one day they would be the well off ones with hot husbands that the cool kids wish they could be, instead they find themselves in their 30's and still losers. When Becky gets a job from her boss Senator Hartmann (Jane Lynch) to secretly watch her daughter Ashley (Amber Tamblyn) while she's at Spring Break, Gayle and Judi tag along.

In the early 21st century, we saw the rise of what became known as the new Frat Pack. This was a group of guys who made comedies together and featured Will Ferrell, Owen Wilson, and Vince Vaughn as the prominent members. Spring Breakdown seems like a jumping off point for a sort of female version of that former Frat Pack. As it would seem only natural that Tina Fey was intended to play the part of Becky St. Germaine, they pulled something similar to what Adam Sandler has done with his cronies with Kevin James taking the place of Chris Farley, here they replaced Fey with Parker Posey. So how does the female iteration of the Frat Pack fare?

Not very well. Spring Breakdown seems partly like an homage to Revenge of the Nerds part 2, and for those of us who like Revenge of the Nerds, we know that the second movie isn't the one that you really want to pay homage too. The writing doesn't do much to flesh out the characters in any way that would make people feel for them any more than people would feel from the many caricatures you can find in an SNL skit. While the jokes might have looked good on paper, they would have been better served in a skit, rather than in a full length movie they can't sustain.

The acting is serviceable, particularly from the always good Parker Posey, but the writing doesn't give any of the actresses much to lean on. Amy Poehler's character is nothing more than a walking amalgam of her many SNL characters lumped into one character. Rachel Dratch, a comedienne best known for Debbie Downer on SNL, is an actress best suited to skits and guest stints on TV shows. Even some of the smaller characters, such as Seth Meyers closeted William and Missi Pyle's Charlene, can wear on the nerves in there brief appearances in the film.

There are some laugh out loud moments in the film, but more often you're laughing at the people in the movie for appearing in this mess. I can't recommend this movie, which to me is sad because I always enjoy Amy Poehler, Parker Posey, and Jane Lynch typically in anything they're appearing in. Unfortunately, this film is a fairly big miss.
½ April 9, 2010
I appreciated the confrontation of the double standard in this film!
½ March 24, 2010
Surprisingly funny. Like Revenge of the Nerds but with women.
March 20, 2010
i going to say what many
of you have said this a bad
movie very good actors.
March 8, 2010
not another "gritty urban drama"
January 28, 2010
Hard to fiollow who's who with the adult women, and the teen's.
Towards the end, she get's kissed by someone she accidently slept with.

I kind of enjoyed it, but can't remember much about it to give a good
review. Sorry.

Mark
January 8, 2010
Quite honestly it is a pretty bad movie, but the actresses in this are all so funny I couldn't help but laugh a few times, even if it was in a cringing sort of way. Kind of like a second rate Romy & Michele, but not as funny, and loses points for the inclusion of Sophie Monk (the lips are as bad as the acting).
½ December 25, 2009
Beyond mediocre, extremely average.
½ November 30, 2009
Oh, come on! When I see names like Jane Lynch, Parker Posey, and Will Arnett paired with SNL staples like Amy Poehler, Rachel Dratch, and Seth Meyers I am thinking that there might be something funny going to happen even if just borne of improvisation.
I was really wrong.
This was horrible.
This is a Rachel Dratch creation and was stillborn.
This is a very talented group who need to fire their agents for having them put into this long SNL skit cr@pfest.
There were a couple of decent set ups and some funny performances and for that it gets 1.5 stars. The premise was old, the jokes were mostly stale, it basically flatlined out of the gate.
I am very upset with myself for watching this through until the end and I hope that this great group will come together again in some form or another and redeem themselves having taken a few showers to get the stench off first.
Miss this.
July 10, 2008
Kinda funny in a weird way
Matt S.
½ November 15, 2009
Yet another run of the mill, straight to dvd comedy that wasted alot of talent. This movie was too silly to be considered funny to me and I lost interest in it after 25 minutes and fell asleep. Overall this is like a Romy and Michele's High School Reunion knockoff but not as entertaining. Skip it! Not Recommended!
October 14, 2009
I can't believe so much crap gets to the big screen and this--while no artful film--gets shunted straight to video. It's fun and campy enough and woman-centered enough that I enjoyed it for what it was.
September 22, 2009
Add a review (optional)...
September 4, 2009
I have no idea why it took song long for this to see release. Two of my favorite women, Parker Posey and Amy Poehler star in this pretty amusing story about middle-age nerdy women who go to Spring Break in Florida. A lot of the humor you expect in any wish-outta-water story, but it is fun to watch the two I mentioned. All created unique characters and Jane Lynch was a bonus. Also with another funny pretty woman, Missi Pyle, someone I didn't appreciate before. The movie did glorify hedonism to an extent, but moreso to show how the three women had built that lifestyle up in their respective minds.
September 1, 2009
it was funny at times but seemed like an extend skit from SNL... nothing to get excited about.
divinetrash
½ August 26, 2009
The film starts and ends with no discernible purpose, plot, jokes, characters or screen time for anyone who isn't Amy Poehler (but it's okay, she's very funny), but it's still an amusing, sometimes funny movie that boasts and incredible cast and a hilarious Missi Pyle.