RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: Spring Breakers, The Host, and More

Summary

This week on home video, we've got a Harmony Korine film starring James Franco, a Stephenie Meyer adaptation, and a Tina Fey/Paul Rudd dramedy. Then there's also a crime thriller and an Oscar-nominated doc, not to mention a couple of noteworthy rereleases. Click through for the full list. Back to Article

Comments

J.D Dean

J.D Dean

Wow they didn't even put Tyler Perry's new release up at the top, ouch.

Jul 8 - 06:51 PM

George V.

George Voulcan

lol. funny.

Jul 9 - 08:15 PM

Kristen Schaal

Kristen Schaal

Check this legitimate ways to make money from home, working on your own time and being your own boss... Join the many successful people who have already used the system. Only reliable internet connection needed, no prior experience neccessary, that's why where are here. Start here... www.DAY37.com

Jul 12 - 12:46 PM

vinsig0011

vincent Signorile

Saw Spring Breakers really enjoyed it also saw Admission and thought it was decent nothing special
I gotta see the Host just to see how bad it really is and I want to see Dead Man Down also might check out Temptation

Jul 8 - 08:08 PM

SecondBest

This Guy

Want to see Admission, the others...eh.

Jul 8 - 08:30 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

I was gonna see Spring Breakers but I was told by my bud that since I watched MTV's Spring Break as a kid I've pretty much all ready seen it...so thats a downer.

The Gatekeepers seems like a riveting documentary.

Anybody know if the Host is so bad its good?

Jul 8 - 09:04 PM

King Crunk

I have not seen Spring Breakers yet (should be catching it in the next few days), but based on the writer/director, the reviews, and the trailer, it seems like it is the exact opposite of MTV's Spring Break, in that the partying is presented as a cheap and hollow escape instead of something truly enjoyable.

Jul 9 - 01:17 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

I don't really like to delve into the film beyond the surface in my statement. What I meant was there is literally 10 to 20 minutes scenes of non stop "WOOO, ALLRIGHT, YEAH...SPRING BREAK YEAH WOOO!" like literally this is all you see for several minutes at a time. I think it's awesome some critics can see this as art but most all my buddies said "sooo he stole spring break MTV footage and is pretending its art? How much longer do I have to watch this before something happens?"

Jul 9 - 10:48 AM

King Crunk

I think the monotony of those scenes was intended by Korine. He is well known to go out of his way alienate an audience by presenting something in all its ugly glory, so I have no doubts he was trying to beat people over the head with how ludicrous and pointless the partying was, and that this is what most young people see as living it up these days. In my view, it was a scathing critique of modern norms for the current generation. I respect your opinion, though, and Korine is most definitely one of the most uncommercial filmmakers working today.

Jul 9 - 05:37 PM

Vits

Vicente Torres

I laughed twice at the dialogue of THE HOST, but for the most part, it's boring. The pacing is really bad.

Jul 9 - 02:13 PM

Sionnach Oghma

Sionnach Oghma

Spring Breakers is worth seeing for James Franco's performance alone. He's fantastic.

The Host unfortunately doesn't even qualify for the 'hilarious trainwreck' status enjoyed by the Twilight movies. It's just plain dull.

Jul 10 - 05:23 AM

King Crunk

Been waiting on Spring Breakers for a hot minute now, definitely going to be picking it up. The Gatekeepers looks great, too.

Jul 9 - 01:15 AM

Jul 9 - 01:17 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Jul 9 - 10:48 AM

Jul 9 - 05:37 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Jul 9 - 10:48 AM

Jul 9 - 05:37 PM

Vits

Vicente Torres

As someone who actually liked 2 of the TWILIGHT movies (the 1st and 3rd), I still feel that THE HOST is one of the worst movies of the year. The fact that even the talented Saoirse Ronan gave a bad performance shows the level of the material. Although, I put most of the blame on the director.

I admit that SPRING BREAKERS caught my attention because of the girls in bikinis. I'm not ashamed; a lot of the marketing emphazised on that. As long as it's more like the excellent KIDS than the awful TRASH-HUMPERS, I'll probably enjoy it.

Tyler Perry's dramas are so well-intentioned that they're hard to hate. But TEMPTATION has such an uncreative premise (and from what I've heard, a ridiculous plot twist) that I'll skip it. Same with the generic-looking DEAD MAN DOWN (I didn't even like DRAGON TATTOO) and ADMISSION (Fey and Rudd can't keep being asked to carry bad movies anymore).

Jul 9 - 02:12 PM

Andrew Brinkerhoff

Andrew Brinkerhoff

What a lousy week.

Jul 9 - 04:18 PM

Kadeem S.

Kadeem Stewart

Spring Breakers is one of my favorite movies of 2013, but I gotta say James Franco...give that man another Oscar nomination next year. I gotta buy it this week.

The rest of the pack are total duds (Temptation, The Host, and Dead Man Down) Admission, however, not a good Tina Fey movie, but it's a rent for me.

Jul 9 - 05:17 PM

Jul 9 - 05:37 PM

George V.

George Voulcan

lol. funny.

Jul 9 - 08:15 PM

ram b.

ram bond

dead man down is underrated, i personally found it as a great film noir with great music building an atmospheric film, while i found spring breakers real fun

Jul 10 - 03:17 AM

Sionnach Oghma

Sionnach Oghma

Jul 10 - 05:23 AM

Premo Beat

John Noto

I too got sucked into watching spring breakers, at the beach with a gang of friends no less. It is not worthwhile unless you're a real fan of James Franco or Disney sl00tz. Yes there is gratuitous nudity, and it's enjoyable to some degree. If you can stomach 120 minutes of three characters repeating the same lines over and over with a plot more ridiculous than a Uwe Boll film, by all means have at it. The film teeters between making fun of youth party-drug zeitgeist and glorifying it and it makes for an unenjoyable movie. Gucci Mane acting is a plus though.

Jul 10 - 03:50 PM

Jeremy Scott

Jeremy Scott

Spring Breakers is only 92 minutes, and while I will agree that there were a few lines in the movie that were unneccisarily repeated, it was still an enjoyable film.

Jul 11 - 06:23 PM

Jeremy Scott

Jeremy Scott

Jul 11 - 06:23 PM

Kristen Schaal

Kristen Schaal

Jul 12 - 12:46 PM

Richard Linklater
Richard Linklater

What are his Five Favorite Films?

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

Emmys
Emmys

Full 2014 nominations list

Planet of the Apes
Planet of the Apes

Watch interviews with the cast