Total Recall: Robert Rodriguez's Best Movies

Summary

Since breaking into Hollywood in 1992 with his low-budget masterpiece El Mariachi, Robert Rodriguez has done it all -- and not only in terms of his eclectic filmography, which includes action, sci-fi, horror, comedy, and family-friendly thrills. He's also one of the most hands-on filmmakers in the studio system, assuming editing, composing, and cinematography duties on top of directing, writing, and production. Given all that, we felt it was only right that we honor this weekend's return to the Spy Kids franchise by taking a look back at some of the brightest critical highlights from his career. It's time for Total Recall! Back to Article

Comments

Manuel G.

Manuel Granados

Whenever I see that kid from Spy Kids I hope someone suddenly punches him in the face. Maybe it is because I am a sociopath

Aug 18 - 04:43 PM

Wisenheimer

Joshua Dinsmore

It's not one of my all time favorites but it's my favorite of the films he's directed. :)

Aug 18 - 05:37 PM

Brave Sir Robin

Josh Ruprecht

Hahahaha I love sarcasm!

Aug 18 - 09:16 PM

That Random Albino Kid

Dominic Dold

What if Gordon Gecko is related to Seth Gecko... :0

Aug 18 - 09:19 PM

Brave Sir Robin

Josh Ruprecht

I really enjoy Robert Rodriguez. Haven't seen the mariachi trilogy but I have seen everything else. Sin City and Planet Terror are my two favorites. I just love the over the top gore and anyone who puts a machine gun on someones leg is cool in my book. I will also say that I enjoyed Spy Kids, sure it was over the top but that is the point and I thought it was fun but to each their own.

Aug 18 - 09:21 PM

Metamorphstasis

Mark Metamorphstasis

Fine, you got me Fox, the machine gun leg is pretty original, a small grace IN A ZOMBIE FILM WITH A MILITARY COVER-UP AT THE CENTER OF IT. Wow, such vision! But ok, one could argue that it's grindhouse and supposed to be kitschy. But his films are all kitsch. Hitmen, vampires, men with no name... he rehashes old ideas, but he doesn't even do it well. How does he manage to get every actor to overact? That's what I want to know.

Aug 18 - 09:50 PM

chains01

Jason Wilkerson

You do realize that most of his films are homages to exploitation films of the 70's where everyone overacted, right? And originality is not in coming up with a totally new idea that no one has ever seen before, originality is taking an old idea and telling it in a new way and making it your own. Rodriguez does that in spades.

Aug 19 - 11:44 AM

Swampfox

Pat Marion

His films are fun. I agree with Chains, he takes old ideas and puts a new spin on them. Whether that is over-the-top gore, crazy acting, or just ridiculous dialogue, I have a lot of fun with them.

And you are right, the movie WAS an homage to Grindhouse films, therefore, it had a reason to be all of those things. His other movies (besides kids movies) are just a lot of fun.

There are plenty of terrible directors out there but, Rodriguez is not one in my book. I think critics and studios agree on that one.

P.S. (I am only defending his grown up movies)

Aug 19 - 01:33 PM

TJ S.

TJ Seher

Machete was disappointing.
Planet Terror was awesome.
Not a big fan of the Spy Kids movies.
Sin City, I feel, is a tad overrated.
From Dusk 'Til Dawn was pretty good.

Aug 18 - 09:51 PM

Metamorphstasis

Mark Metamorphstasis

The guy is overrated. PLANET TERROR was awful: bad writing, worse acting, terrible casting. Lost reel midway through? Really? Thanks actually, Rob, too bad u didn't lose the rest. A director that gets the worst acting possible from his actors.

Aug 18 - 09:56 PM

RodM

Rod Morgan

Rodriguez reliably provides a wild ride, even if you don't want to admit you laughed or screamed. Can we acknowledge how well he uses music? Tom Morello's blazing solo on "Another Brick in the Wall" for "The Faculty" is just one mesmerizing example. Like his "brother" Quentin, like Scorcese, the music is part of the storytelling and he knows how to tell a story.

Aug 19 - 05:51 AM

Justin D.

Justin D.

I didn't like "El Mariachi" interestingly enough, though I enjoyed "Desperado" and "Once upon a Time in Mexico." I won't even talk about the "Spy Kids" movies (I'm not their target audience anyway). I loved "Sin City" and "From Dusk Till Dawn" was simple, campy, awesome goodness. "The Faculty" is a an underrated film. It wasn't Citizen Kane or anything but I still enjoyed it.

Aug 19 - 09:00 AM

Dave J

Dave J

Then I'm going to have to say that you're not really a movie ethusiest as you appear to be, since it was "El Mariachi"- his first film that solidified Robert Rodriguez's name on the map and made people stand up and take notice!

Aug 23 - 01:56 PM

chains01

Jason Wilkerson

Now you're just being sexist! Why should it matter that a male director respects and likes to work with a female actress? You're claiming that it's all about sex, when it's not necessarily all about sex. There was a rumor that Ethan Hawke left Uma because of Tarantino, but no one besides Uma and Ethan know exactly what happened. I suggest you stop defining things by sex. (Oh, and you forgot to mention the fact that I did refer to Robert Rodriguez working with Carla Gugino a lot.)

Aug 19 - 11:39 AM

chains01

Jason Wilkerson

Rodriguez and Tarantino's shorts were the only bits that I liked of that movie.

Aug 19 - 11:40 AM

chains01

Jason Wilkerson

Why do people always blame the chasm between critics and movie goers on critics? The Spy Kids movies aren't made for the type of people who go to a site like this. Often times they're too young to come to a site like this. Not everyone comes to a site like Rotten Tomatoes or Flixster and rates movies!

Aug 19 - 11:42 AM

kiminesh

ganesh shan

the audience rating is from flixster. =\

Aug 21 - 12:49 AM

chains01

Jason Wilkerson

Aug 19 - 11:44 AM

Dave J

Dave J

Why is it defined as sexist if it involves two grown mature adults who're capable to make decisions for themselves- why can't you label it as 'that it's none of anyones business what s/he do off camera'! And if you read my comment carefully, I never mentioned that Rodriguez wanted to 'score' with Aba- i just simply said that he had a thing for her which doesn't mean f-ck all!

Aug 19 - 12:03 PM