Squirm - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Squirm Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
October 11, 2012
Squirm is Jeff Lieberman's cheesy tongue in cheek horror flick that displays a terrific twist on the nature gone wild genre of horror. Lieberman is a great director and he's able to deliver a fun and entertaining film that will surely please fans of the genre. Although cheesy, the film delivers good tension and is pretty creative in showcasing some terrific special effects. For its low-budget and the time period, Squirm is a stunning if imperfect film that still manages to be great fun despite the flaws. I thoroughly enjoyed Lieberman's third feature, the obscured Slasher Just Before Dawn, and he truly perfected his craft in the horror genre with that film. However Squirm is a fine debut and showcases the director's talent perfectly. This is the type of film that definitely should not be seen as serious. The film does have a special place in the sub genre of nature gone wild films, and is very entertaining from start to finish. If you love creature films, then this film is for you, and it is a must see for genre fans that like low budget tongue in cheek terror. This one film that is a terrific addition to the genre, and it most certainly is a good, underrated film that has enough entertainment value to keep you involved from the first frame onwards. Jeff Lieberman is a terrific director who has made some good little chillers and Squirm has that aspect which make his pictures a must see for horror fans everywhere. Sure Squirm is silly, but in the end that is what makes this flick so entertaining in the first place.
DrLappos
½ February 13, 2009
OMG What an absolute classic.....you will bever look at worms the same way again......the boat scene is nasty.
½ March 28, 2015
This has an interestingly enough story to stay tuned at first, but I wouldn't call it a "horror flick". It's more about a city boy who's unaccepted in a hick town where nobody but a country girl believes him. Things don't pick up until 13 minutes are left.
November 26, 2014
Slow at spots and overall dull, the action takes longer to come than one would have expected and the characters are way too forced. Many sequences with the worms are pretty campy. The film ends pretty flatly as well.
½ June 9, 2013
½ January 14, 2013
½ May 28, 2011
A sluggish 70's B-movie about a small southern town under siege by bloodthirsty, carnivorous worms. An out of towner and a cute redhead investigate the mystery which crawls by at a snail's, er... worm's pace. The first interesting thing doesn't happen until the half way point when the worms finally begin to attack and burrow themselves into the skin of the locals, creep out of shower heads, eat people down to the bones, etc. The effects are actually very well done initially, but it eventually settles for shot after shot of huge masses of worms spilling out holes, ceilings, etc. There's something inherently funny about people running in terror from a bunch worms which makes the last 20 mins of this one pretty amusing. After the slow-as-hell beginning, Squirm ends up being a fairly watchable monster flick.
February 4, 2011
ok this movie was indeed bad, it was an old film and probably had some of the worst acting ive ever seen in a movie, however, the movie was great fun. There are parts that are so stupid u laugh to them but i dont care what anyone says there are parts when millions of worms are just spewing form every corner its gross and that is what makes the movie. To bad it dosent last all that long.
October 17, 2010
I watched this one through "Mystery Science Theater" once and Wow! am I glad I had those guys making fun of it the whole time. Otherwise it would have been unbearable. So the movie itself gets very low scores.
½ August 13, 2010
A campy and fun little film that really manages to go way out with killer animal plot archetype. Maybe you never though worms were scary, but you were wrong. Fishing becomes a nightmare in a rural Georgia town on the coast. Loads of fun for anyone who enjoys cheesy horror at its finest.
July 25, 2009
½ May 9, 2009
Squirm (1976) -- [5.5] -- A movie about killer worms could be much worse than "Squirm". But I don't think a movie about killer worms could ever be better than "Squirm". I was impressed with how director Jeff Lieberman was able to sidestep the hokey concept to create several scary or suspensful scenes, and he does a great job establishing some fairly memorable characters. In other words, this movie is far better than it has any right to be. It almost reminded me of how producer Val Lewton used to craft a fairly sensible movie around a ridiculous title like "I Walked with a Zombie". But despite the valliant directorial effort and an adequate cast, "Squirm" still hits the glass ceiling of its own absurdity.
½ November 25, 2008
Man, can't they come up with negative integer ratings?
This was god awful. AWFUL and hilarious a bit too. Makes me never want to fish.

Oh, the pot-head sister is pretty priceless.
November 24, 2008
When a terrible writer puts a squicky idea down on paper, hands it off to a terrible producer who cries, "YES! THIS IS THE MOVIE I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR!" and passes it off to a terrible director, who casts terrible (and most likely to stereotype the south) actors in the roles, then uses terrible special effects to portray the plight of these terrible characters, accompanied by terrible music that has little or nothing to do with what's actually happening in the movie... THAT'S when you get this movie. So... future scriptwriters, be warned. Worth a single star because of laugh value. The MST3K version of this pretty much rules.
November 13, 2008
This film is rife with Smithee Award nominations! Most Ludicrous Premise, Worst Science, Stupidest Looking Monster, Crummiest Ending, What?, and Whoops!

Seems that high-voltage current being fed into the ground causes regular American ground worms to become man-eating hive-minded roaring worms! I especially laughed at the close-ups of the worms (looked like it was spliced from a National Geographic vid) and the superimposed roaring. Worth a watch if you like stupid B movies like I do!
½ October 14, 2008
Killer bloodworms on the loose in rural Georgia - having lived there, I must say it is all too plausible and real
October 10, 2008
Not a bad little film considering that it's about killer worms. Lieberman manages to make the characters feel real in spite of the somewhat silly concept.

Worth the bored afternoon on cable viewing I gave to it.
½ March 28, 2015
January 28, 2015
Daft and somewhat slow, but Squirm is still quite a bit of fun, especially if, like me, your a sucker for creature feature B-movies. There's certainly not anywhere near enough wormy action ("ahem") and no way is there the sort of level of gross gore i would have liked, in fact only one person gets properly eaten out on screen ("ahem") and everything takes fucking ages to happen, there are even points where you forget there are killer worms in it! but it's surprisingly well made and even decently acted, and the story goes off into unexpected routes (a murder mystery!) and i have to be honest, worms make my mind all bendy with clammy horror (no eyes! where are their eyes?!!!) and there are some gut churningly nightmarish scenes of real worms, those big screaming worm close-ups at the beginning, i couldn't watch.