• PG-13, 1 hr. 50 min.

79% You're the Worst: Season 1

St. Elmo's Fire Reviews

Carlos M

June 15, 2014
It plays like a rejected backdoor pilot for a coming-of-age prime time TV drama series, with not very interesting storylines despite the good acting - and it does not help a bit that the characters and their personal conflicts don't get enough individual screen time to fully grow on us.
Alice S

September 13, 2012
It's really quite enjoyable - the humor, the drama - but it just doesn't make much sense to me. All these friends have such disparate personalities that there's no way they would all hang out and remain friends after college - and that's not even speaking of Wendy's completely baseless infatuation for Billy. My friend pointed out that my own circle of friends have vastly different characters, but we coexist because we've had the benefit of hanging out a lot in real life. The St. Elmo's gang are never shown "just hanging out." They're always doing something, getting into trouble, plotting grand gestures - all these huge moments of which culminates in an overwrought, melodramatic climax that of course brings them all together. The explanation of the title also doesn't hold much water.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

January 24, 2010
You can always count on your friends. Don't ever let the fire go out.

Very good movie from the 80's! The music from this movie is phenomenal. I think the reason I love this movie despite all its flaws is it makes me put my life in perspective and think about the friends and decisions I have made. Every time I hear the love theme I can't help but feel sentimental. Admire what it wants to say. Take it for what it is. I really enjoyed what this film was about. And it made me feel a bit better about life, after all, we're all going through St. Elmo's Fire. Go see it!

Seven friends - Alec, Billy, Jules, Kevin, Kirby, Leslie and Wendy - are trying to navigate through life and their friendships following college graduation. Alec, who aspires to political life, has just shown his true colors by changing his allegiance from Democrat to Republican, which freaks out girlfriend Leslie, who he wants to marry. Budding architect Leslie, on the other hand, has an independent streak. She believes she has to make a name for herself to find out who she is before she can truly commit to another person in marriage. But Leslie and Alec have decided to live together. Because Leslie refuses to marry Alec, he believes that justifies certain behavior. Kirby, who wants to become a lawyer and who pays for his schooling by working as a waiter at their local hangout called St. Elmo's Bar, and struggling writer Kevin are currently roommates. They are on opposite extremes of the romance spectrum. Kirby has just reconnected with Dale Biberman, a slightly older woman he knew in college who is now a doctor. He is madly in love with her and will do *anything* to impress her. Kevin, on the other hand, doesn't date and states he doesn't believe in love, making his friends speculate that he's a closet homosexual who is secretly in love with Alec. Kevin will eventually open himself up to the one friend who matters the most. Billy, married with a child, is the irresponsible one of the group who would rather sleep around and play the saxophone than face the realities of being an adult with family commitments. He still lives for the memory of his fraternity glory days. Virginal and sheltered Wendy, who comes from a wealthy family, works in a low paying social services job. Her family provides for all her financial needs. She is in love with Billy, who in turn takes advantage of her adoration of him. And most are concerned about Jules, who works in a bank, lives a life of excess in all facets and doesn't have the financial means to live that lifestyle. The question for all seven becomes whether their friendship can survive adult real life.
murphmann93
murphmann93

June 24, 2011
St. Elmo's Fire is an enlightening and coming-of-age ensemble that warms your heart and leaves you feeling all happy inside. The cast is one of the best, being the brat pack, nobody could get enough of them in the 80's and I can see why. It's also a great learning film, that teaches you all about drugs, sex and everyday things that teenagers are influenced by and still are. A great little film and I'd really reccomend it. Definite must see!
movieguru12
movieguru12

December 8, 2007
This movie shows and tells you about the transition to life after college. Just a really good honest film about life. Great story and great 80s music, this is another classic! :) I love it! :) :) :)
Alexander D

August 8, 2011
I first heard the song "St. Elmo's Fire," and I liked it, but the movie was much better. That said, ST. ELMO'S FIRE could have easily been titled THE BREAKFAST CLUB: PART II, as it both has similar actors (Judd Nelson, Ally Sheedy, Emilio Estevez) and a much similar plotline--just age the characters by a few short years and take away the weekend detention setting. It certainly isn't as good as THE BREAKFAST CLUB, an instant John Hughes classic without a doubt, but it has every shade of drama available, a hint of humor, and great acting.
Jennifer X

May 28, 2007
Yuck. 80s angst gone bad.
AJ V

September 6, 2010
I know that this film is usually considered an 80s classic, and yes it has a lot of great actors, but there are things about it I don't like. This romantic college drama has all the great stars except Ringwald, which disappoints me, the story is pretty good, but not realistic enough, and some of the characters are a bit annoying. It's not bad, I just don't really like it.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
LorenzoVonMatterhorn

May 15, 2010
"The passion burns deep."

A Group of friends, just out of college, struggle with adulthood. Their main problem is that they're all self-centered and obnoxious.

REVIEW
Anyone who left home after high school to go to college or for any other reason will relate to this movie. Only people who don't understand the futility of life will not comprehend nor appreciate its artistic analysis of yuppies. Truly a brat pack relic, up there with the Breakfast Club! First, the ensemble sufficiently consist of a vast variety of characters with real issues. Life is certainly fleeting and the fresh graduates attempt to prove else-wise. Second, who cannot help but fall in love with that music score that richly encompasses DC in the fall. Lastly, I love it because it stars the brat pack though at their twilight still keeps the audience attracted performances.
Conner R

May 8, 2010
Whether they knew it or not at the time, St. Elmo's Fire captures just about every stereotypical character from the 80s and groups them together as friends. You see the yuppie lifestyle in full, cynical writers, unhappy divorces, coke whores, loser musicians and shy virgin girls. While I think the first time I saw this it was not as interesting or revelatory, this movie has a lot to offer in terms of the thought process of the 80s. What better way to tell that than with heartthrobs and stars of the time. In many ways this takes every John Hughes movie and laughs in its face, by showing all the dark sides of those characters. While it does have some weird themes and moments, this is such a time capsule of the 80s.
Phil H

October 25, 2009
This may be a seminal 80's film for the youth of the time but I never really liked this, it just comes across as an over acted young ego trip for these young stars which kinda makes you hurl haha
The plot is rather dull and uninteresting and there is no humour or anything engaging throughout, pretty overrated if you ask me.

The Breakfast Club is the better cast ensemble film :)
James A

May 28, 2006
The only way for Schumacher to make this good would be to add nipples to all the cotumes and throw in George Clooney.
Tim S

July 30, 2007
Judd Nelson is terrible. The whole cast is pretty bad. Except for EMILIO!
Red L

September 3, 2007
The brat pack figuring out their lives after college. 20 years later the movie would have been called "Friends"
thmtsang
thmtsang

July 14, 2007
Great 80s flicks about a group of friends. Whatever happened to Judd Nelson?
garyX
garyX

March 9, 2007
A bunch of self-absorbed yuppies teach each other life lessons to a hideous 80s soundtrack. No thank you.
Leigh R

March 5, 2007
Wow... that was pretty good.
deano
deano

October 5, 2006
Cool Brat Pack's drama movie and this should be the younger version of 'The Big Chill'.
Joseph E

July 10, 2010
Joel Schumacher Co-wrote and directed this 1985 Brat Pack film.

Story A-, Direction B+, Acting B, and Visuals C+

From this films emotional start , throughoiut it's very engaging storyline, until it's somewhat melo-dramatic ending lies a really fascinating romantic-drama that is derived from the age old line-Do you really know what you hve until it's gone?

This is a movie about mixed emotions. It will also make you feel mixed emotions. The most involving rolke was Kirby"Estevez". He didn't have the biggest role, but it made you feel like he he felt you needed to feel, and share his pain. Know his love for "Andie MacDowell's" Charcter.

The most intriguing role was Billy, "Lowe". He was rude, crude, and sometimes a little sweet on top. He really cared for the rest of them, but couldn't admit his feelings as openly as others.

Now, Jules"Moore", was the most shocking role. Never, well since G.I. Jane, had I seen her act so different, so emotional. So, well Dayum!? Crazy!~ She made you like the movie for what it was, rather then what it wasn't.

As for Judd's role"Alec", he kind of had different emotions. That well varied my opinions on him. He was likeable, more than he was in "The Breakfast Club", but sometimes he wasn't. The times when he was angry, he might have not been angry enough, or too angry, yet when he was nice, and caring, he was pin point,.

Of course the adults scenes were about as cheesy as "The Fly", but the rest of the emotion packed film amde up for that, and eveb though, it was part Melo-drama, that didn't matter. The story was that good.

This is one Brat Pack film, that not only the 80's fans, most likely enjoyed, but others like me might also enjoy, as did I. I give this film "Three and half stars out of Four." I'm not sure about you, but I'd actually reccomend this one.
Mike T

July 20, 2006
There are lots of glaring flaws in St. Elmo's Fire, in both the writing and direction. It's awkward, dated and hard to believe a lot of the time, but I enjoy it despite the problems it has. The Brat Pack cast is charming and convincing, and their chemistry is something to be enjoyed in itself. The story touches on a lot of themes that I'm personally interested in, and at times the film was genuinely engaging. Overall, it's a hit-and-miss venture that by no means deserves a spot among the quintessential films of the '80s.