Siu nin a Fu (The Kumite) (Star Runner) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Siu nin a Fu (The Kumite) (Star Runner) Reviews

½ November 28, 2014
so so martial arts actioner
October 11, 2012
A chick flick where the main character happens to be a MMA fighter. I saw it because it was nominated for Best Action Choreography at the Hong Kong Film Awards. There's an awful lot of waiting for the action to happen, when it finally happens, it's good. More Rocky than Shamo.
November 14, 2011
Cool martial arts film and I see this also has an emotionally and touching between the teacher and student. The fights range from decent to good, and the final brawl in an international kickboxing tournament is impressive. Korean actress Kim Hyun-Joo is so beautiful and Vanness Wu is okay, but theirb characters is also the weakest element of the film.
deano
November 14, 2011
December 30, 2007
It was funny getting a cantonese movie when I thought this was a taiwan-korea collaboration. the main characters are visibly dubbed-over whilst speaking their native languages, which added to the groan-factor of this movie. Still, it was worth a few laughs, if only to hear those funny dubbed cantonese expressions that I haven't heard in ages, e.g. "Don't dismantle my signboard", which the movie started with. It's a lot funnier in canto, than the translation suggests :)
November 4, 2010
miss Kim is the reason i watched this movie... but "Tank" is quite an eye-candy too :p

jokes aside, the cinematography and sound track did not add value to the basic plot.
June 1, 2009
Ahhh.. TotaLLy CUte..COOL.. AFo!
December 23, 2008
The DVD box is completely misleading- this is not a movie called 'Kumite', but a 90s HK flick called Star Runner. The US release is badly dubbed, but honestly, there wasn't much to work with in the first place. Good action, but strange premise. I think the overall message Star Runner sends is that it's okay and not at all inappropriate to be a student, and fall in love and sleep with your teacher. Oh yeah, and somewhere along the way, there's a martial arts tournament.
December 22, 2008
½ November 12, 2008
Not what I expected, it's like a love story.
½ August 6, 2007
LOVED VANNESS IN IT!! =D
½ August 5, 2008
Just like the karate kid.
August 6, 2008
I loved Vanness in this movie! ^^
½ March 21, 2008
This has nothing to do with fighting and is not entertaining on any level. I don't even get it. I hate Dakota Fanning.
March 1, 2008
Have no idea why I watched it all the way to the end. Most likely wanted to see the fight scenes. The only part worth watchin'.
½ February 12, 2008
Fight scenes rocked but the storyline was HELLA cheesy! I like romances but this wasn't why I checked this one out! Tank = hot!
bbcfloridabound
February 10, 2008
An Ok Movie, was dissapointed in the action, more of a chick flix, Its in My collection but I don't know why.
½ August 9, 2007
combat was poorly filmed and the plot was basically formed around a romance rather than action
December 27, 2007
Definitely more of a love story than a martial arts film, but who cares? It's Vanness Wu's debut, and I loved every single second of it. It's quite possible I giggled through the entire film.
½ September 22, 2007
I saw this movie. I liked it. Like all Kung Fu movies, it is bound to have a few lies, but it is good. Some parts were a bit slow, but the fight scenes were good. Seen many Kung Fu movies, this one is ok.