Star Trek XI Gets Its Chekov

Yelchin to search for nuclear wessels.

It won't arrive on screens until Christmas of next year, but the casting dominoes for Star Trek XI are starting to fall -- fans recently received official word of Zachary Quinto as their new Spock, and now ComingSoon is reporting on who will be taking over for Walter Koenig as navigator Pavel Chekov.

Representing Mother Russia for the new Trek crew? Anton Yelchin, who can be seen with Robert Downey Jr. in the upcoming Charlie Bartlett. Yelchin's filmography is slim, but he doesn't strike us as a bad choice; Koenig often maintained that Chekov's presence on the bridge was an effort to inject a little teen idol flavor into the show, and this should do the trick. We should hear more casting news soon, according to the article:

Casting is under way in New York and London for Kirk, Bones, Uhura, Sulu, Scotty, the film's villain and the Federation captain. J.J. Abrams, who will direct the untitled film, is expected to sign bigger-name actors for the latter two parts.

Source: ComingSoon.net

Comments

ninjaandy

Andrew O'Neill

Wasn't Chekov in his early to mid-twenties during the original series, while Kirk was 35 or 36? They wouldn't even be in Star Fleet academy at the same time.

If nothing else, this seems to add a little bit more definitiveness to the idea that they're rewriting parts of the story. But I suppose you never know.

Aug 8 - 08:55 AM

HeisLegend1231

Jordan Bartlett

I'm really starting to doubt that they are going to do a Starfleet Academy movie, and I'm starting to feel like this is going to be the first voyages of the Enterprise with Kirk and crew, in essence a reboot of the orginal series. Abrams appears to be going in that direction, and also appears to be casting the roles alot younger than the orginals. I think Koenig was in his late 20's early 30's when he was cast as Chekov. This guy is only 18.

While Chekov doesn't appear until the second season of TOS, its never stated that he isn't aboard the Enterprise at a different position. So they really wouldn't have to do any rewriting to get him onboard the Enterprise.

Aug 8 - 09:27 AM

ninjaandy

Andrew O'Neill

I'm thinking the same thing.

As for Chekov, Walter Koenig was older than he looked back then, but I'm pretty sure the character was supposed to be the "fresh out of college" kid joining up with the experienced crew. I'm not going to geek out and go check the fan sites, but I seem to remember Chekov the character being much younger than Kirk and the others.

As for him being on board but off-screen during the first season, that's the more or less accepted explanation for how Khan could recognize his face in Star Trek II -- he was there somewhere, we just never saw him.

Aug 9 - 10:39 AM

jmo2ski

Jimmy Moorer

I'm not a big trek fan, but what in the hell is going on here. But i am sure they know what they are doing. I'm lost.

Aug 8 - 09:04 AM

dracus

Cap Nord

Well, ya' gotta say one thing about Abrams and his Star Trek movie. When it comes to casting, he's sure as hell taking his sweet 'F**kin' time. Get on with it already!

Aug 8 - 09:17 AM

HeisLegend1231

Jordan Bartlett

Aug 8 - 09:27 AM

ninjaandy

Andrew O'Neill

I'm thinking the same thing.

Aug 9 - 10:39 AM

PrecentorEpsilonXVI

James Humpula

Perhaps this is a prelude to the TV series, but not Academy? My memory of the very beginning of the original series is fuzzy, to say the least, but perhaps this movie will be about Kirk first being assigned the Enterprise, and his first voyage?

Aug 8 - 09:48 AM

HeisLegend1231

Jordan Bartlett

Yeah that could be true b/c the 2nd pilot "Where No Man Has Gone Before" takes place after Kirk's 5-year mission is already underway. So this movie could take place around the time that Kirk took command of the Enterprise, and focus on their first mission.

Aug 8 - 11:20 AM

Avi

Avi R

I've never heard of this Yelchin guy, but Zachary Quinto is a great actor so I'm sure he'll do fine.

Aug 8 - 10:52 AM

HeisLegend1231

Jordan Bartlett

Aug 8 - 11:20 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

As long as he's still looking for the "Nuclear Wessels" I'm happy.

Aug 8 - 01:08 PM

JUDGE DREDD

idle one kenobi

SULU, what about Daniel Dae Kim, the guy that plays JIN from LOST ???? That was also abrams too. could be good choice?

UHURA, beyonce ?

SCOTTY, James McEvoy, ??? Last king of scotland.

noy sure who i would choose for kirk and bones yet. still thinking.

Aug 8 - 01:59 PM

Kimmycat24

Kimberly Gibson

I am a lifelong Trekkie. I would like to see a younger cast play all of these parts. There are a lot of excellent young actors out there. It would be interesting if they could stick with the basic 1960's designs, but with updates. They can employ CGI as well. Film techniques have improved a lot since the 1960's. I would like to see these beloved characters reimagined. I would like the backstory on how they all met and became the crew that we know and love. Maybe the prequel could show something about their backgrounds and how they ended up entering Starfleet. They could definitely lose some of the ethnic stereotypes that were in the old TV show and movies. They could use flashbacks. James McAvoy would make a great choice for Scotty. I saw several of his films recently. He is a very talented actor. I think Gary Sinese would make an excellent Dr. McCoy. I am not sure which actress would make a good Uhuru. Rosario Dawson perhaps?

Aug 15 - 11:07 AM

blank blank

bob jones

this kid? seriously? are kirk and spock and all the rest going to be going to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry? wtf.

that being said, it all depends on who they cast as kirk.

Aug 8 - 02:26 PM

JUDGE DREDD

idle one kenobi

UHURA, beyonce ?

SCOTTY, James McEvoy, ??? Last king of scotland.

not sure who i would choose for kirk and bones yet. still thinking.

Maybe VINCE VAUGHN as BONES ??

Aug 8 - 02:41 PM

jstrmereel

Matthew Wilson

Beyonce and Vince Vaughn? With all due respect I hate it when movies try to inject all these well known actors into parts when all we really need is a kick *** story. Casino Royale anyone?!?!

Aug 8 - 02:52 PM

Darkness My Old Friend

Michael Tousey

bat-fink, you honestly could suggest Dane Cook for Captain Kirk and not make worse suggestions than those.

Ok, I give you a pass on McEvoy, that's simply stupid rather than awful. But come on, I mean dear god...

Aug 8 - 10:49 PM

WugDiet

doug wyatt

Ryan Reynolds does a great Shatner-as-Kirk impersonation. I'm sure... he'd MAKE - ahhhhh - fine... CAP-tain, Kirk. SPOCK, doooo YOUuuu... disagree?

Aug 9 - 02:11 AM

WugDiet

doug wyatt

Aug 9 - 02:11 AM

Crenshaw

Bryan Winter

If they even try to cast Beyonce as Uhura I'll gouge my eyes out. I'm all 200% on board for a Star Trek redo, but that's beyond the pale.

Aug 9 - 08:05 AM

Huntressmoon13

M. K.

I mentioned this on the cameo thread:

For the Beyonce as Uhura wish- more acting lessons are in order, but remember when Nichelle Nichols as Uhura would belt out tunes in TOS? Hell yeah to Beyonce if just for a chance for a spacy ballad. It might just work- just as long as Spock is jamming on his lyre :)

Aug 9 - 10:16 AM

ninjaandy

Andrew O'Neill

I'm thinking the same thing.

Aug 9 - 10:39 AM

tiganofamily

joe tigano

thay should cast william shatner as shaft so he an fight crime and colon cancer in space, rename the enterprise "clitoriffic" and then slaughter the entire cast of welcome back kotter with kitkat bars of death made in a black hole's gravitational pull. and while the're at it, have scottie come back to life as jason voorhees and kill everybody in the harry potter movies with a giant dildo made from elephant sperm

Aug 9 - 05:32 PM

msspurlock

Michael Spurlock

God.
They don't even know that Chekov wasn't introduced until after the first season.
He'd have still been in the Academy.

Oh well, the kid can do Star Trek pimple cream endorsements.

When it doesn't sell, they can use it to polish up that Golden Turkey Award.

Aug 13 - 11:00 PM

Ethan Hawke's 10 Best Movies

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

Emmys
Emmys

Full 2014 nominations list

Planet of the Apes
Planet of the Apes

Watch interviews with the cast