Shatner Upset Over Star Trek Exclusion

"Abraaaaaaamms!"

It appears the friendly rivalry between William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy is going to extend beyond Priceline commercials. While Nimoy is reprising his role as Spock in the Star Trek reboot, Shatner has not been invited back to play Captain Kirk and he's feeling the sting of being the odd man out.

''I couldn't believe it. I'm not in the movie at all," Shatner reportedly said on Thursday. "I thought, what a decision to make, since it obviously is a decision not to make use of the popularity I have to ensure the movie has good box office. It didn't seem to be a wise business decision.''

Shatner met with Star Trek director J.J. Abrams several times to discuss the film, but ultimately nothing came out of it.

"Leonard, God bless his heart, is in, but not me," Shatner said, ''Having been in on the creation of it, I was hoping to be in on the re-creation.''

Plot details remain closely guarded for the eleventh Star Trek movie. Casting news, on the other hand, spills out from Paramount frequently, including Zachary Quinto as young Spock, and Chris Pine as lord of the Enterprise manor, Captain Kirk.

Star Trek is scheduled for a Christmas 2008 release.

Source: Associated Press

Comments

Bardego

Robert Hamer

That sucks. Oh well, at least he can still fall back on Danny Crane. Nimoy pretty much has nothing else.

Oct 27 - 06:50 PM

thereign

lance berry

Actually, Nimoy has his very successful photography to fall back on, along with enough money to never have to work again unless he chooses to. Unlike Shatner, he didn't go through 3 or 4 divorces and have to keep working just to pay off all his alimony.

Oct 27 - 07:26 PM

Bardego

Robert Hamer

thereign: True, Nimoy is probably more financially secure than Shatner. But in terms of fame and recognition, what can Leonard claim fame to other than Spock?

Oct 28 - 12:25 AM

Drunken Mastermind

John Doe

wow,that sucks that the guy who made the show famous isn't in the movie.

Oct 27 - 07:46 PM

alohajoe1007

joe hall

I too think this sucks. Wanna bet they didn't hire him because of his weight?

Oct 27 - 07:54 PM

See-Jay

Chris *******

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Oct 27 - 08:01 PM

See-Jay

Chris *******

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Oct 27 - 08:01 PM

Now it's dark

Kirby K

I agree with Shatner. As a life long Trekker, I will boycott this film.

Oct 27 - 08:03 PM

JackHorner1979

tom brownbridge

I don't get these fools. They complain most there lives about being type cast and always approached to do nothing more than Star Trek follow ups and the second they get their wish and are excluded from Star Trek, they cry and whine.

Oct 27 - 08:07 PM

lameboy

Canaan C

its even worse jack, so not only are they now typecast, they don't even get the benefit of being typecast and being put in a movie!

Oct 27 - 08:23 PM

~Spirit-of~

Tim V.

I can't assume to know the plot, but perhaps the Nimoy section(s) of the film take place somewhere near the end of Spock's life, long after Kirk and the crew have passed on.

Shoehorning Shatner into the movie just because he's whining about it, isn't going to make the movie better. I think I'd rather give JJ a pat on the back for having a vision and story, and not compromising it for the sake of one actor's over inflated ego.

Oct 27 - 08:31 PM

RottenRob

Rob Potter

Amen. Seems stupid to me to stick him in just because.

Oct 28 - 08:25 AM

Daniel Aaron

Daniel Gentry

mabey they can give him a cameo in star fleet command who knows im just wondering if abrams can pull it off MI 3 was lame

Oct 27 - 09:30 PM

Bardego

Robert Hamer

Oct 28 - 12:25 AM

TheAnswerMVP2001

Snipes .

This film is going to be total crap anyways, I'm really surprised Nimoy wanted anything to do with it...well I guess he has nothing else to do. At least Shatner has built himself a career after Star Trek. Frankly I think Shatner is better off, this film is going to be so horrible, I'd hate to see him be a part of it, it's a total disgrace to the series. I'd rather watch a film with the crew from the Enterprise series than watch a bunch of teenagers try to recreate science fiction history. Once again shame on you Abrams, I'd rather see Trek left alone than be resurrected this way!

Oct 28 - 01:07 AM

Segkee

Lochhead Seth

Actually, never heard of Shatner worried about being type-cast. Didn't he write a series of sci-fi books to go along with his convention visits?

Oct 28 - 01:28 AM

Scroozle

Zackary Downey

Kirk is dead in Generations. Obviously the parts with Nimoy in it take place after Generations.

It's logical.

*rimshot*

Oct 28 - 04:22 AM

jasperoosterveld

Jasper Oosterveld

So after Generation everybody died except spock? Why wasent he in that movie?

Oct 28 - 05:25 AM

RottenRob

Rob Potter

Amen. Seems stupid to me to stick him in just because.

Oct 28 - 08:25 AM

Conehead2187

Sean Berger

Well, with the way the plot unfolded in Generations, it doesn't seem possible that (Shatner's) Kirk could have a role of any kind...unless they went into the Nexus, which would just be kind of lame. And you didn't see Nimoy complaining about not being included in that movie, either.

Oct 28 - 08:29 AM

lostharvestmovie

gerald clough

tek wars, right? and tj hooker! the guy is a creative genius!

Oct 28 - 08:42 AM

scarh791

Tom Ivers

It actually is pretty unfair to Shatner. Nimoy isn't playing Spock, he just has a cameo with a wink and a nod. Why give one to him and not to Shatner when that one would get the biggest "up, there he is" chuckle from the audience?

Oct 28 - 08:58 AM

Snarebeast

Billy Bitterman

Actually I guess Nimoy is playing Spock.

Anyway, the only reason I would see this movie is because Simon Pegg is in it and he's awesome. I hate Star Trek.

Oct 28 - 11:07 AM

donovan675

JD Roche

I don't know what Shatner is complaining about. If I'm not mistaken, Nimoy was not asked to be in Star Trek Generations and Shatner was. Don't remember Nimoy bitching about that. Furthermore, Kirk died in Star Trek Generations. Not sure of the timeline of the new film or if Nimoy is actually reprising his iconic role but Kirk being dead might be a pretty good reason for Shatner's abscence. I guess they could create a fat *** Kirk clone as a subplot but really, how bad would that suck. It...was...fun.

Oct 28 - 09:40 AM