Bruce Greenwood Beams Up for Star Trek XI

Film, TV vet prepares to take factory-new Starship Enterprise out for a spin.

Star Trek fans, meet your new Captain Christopher Pike!

The Hollywood Reporter shares the news that Bruce Greenwood has been chosen to play Pike -- the character Trek fans know as the first captain of the Starship Enterprise -- in the J.J. Abrams-directed Star Trek XI.

While perhaps not a household name, the 51-year-old Greenwood has compiled a long list of credits during his decades in show business, including roles on television (St. Elsewhere, Knots Landing) and in film (Thirteen Days, The Malibu Bikini Shop).

A shot from Bruce's unforgettable appearance in Firehouse Dog. (That's him on the right.)

Before suiting up as Captain Pike, Greenwood will be seen in I'm Not There and National Treasure: Book of Secrets.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter

Comments

thereign

lance berry

Actually, Robert April was the FIRST captain of the Enterprise. Although having Bruce Greenwood in the film finally gives it a modicum of credibility.

Nov 8 - 08:34 AM

kdbarrett

Kevin Barrett

I agree. Bruce Greenwood is an excellent actor who can improve a film or TV show just by his mere presence.

Nov 8 - 08:48 AM

dillingerescapeartist

Ken Flenniken

William H. Macy should be in this movie. Just throwing that out there.

Nov 8 - 10:47 AM

dahluzz

joe shmo

no he shouldn't.

Nov 8 - 10:51 AM

dracus

Cap Nord

I agree, Macy would be a great addition. I also have this vision of Steve Buschemi freaking out and popping someone in the engine room after Kirk asks him for more warp.

Nov 8 - 11:00 AM

rt_hire_me

Teague Bates

Maybe he could pop Mark Hamil. You wouldn't have to give him any lines or anything, just dress him up in a trek suit and have Buchemi randomly grab him and toss him in the warp drive reactor. Hamil could make that face again when he hits the reactor, you know, the "NOOO!" face from ESB. I don't know. I just want this to be good.

Nov 8 - 02:22 PM

dahluzz

joe shmo

no he shouldn't.

Nov 8 - 10:51 AM

dracus

Cap Nord

Nov 8 - 11:00 AM

rt_hire_me

Teague Bates

Nov 8 - 02:22 PM

MC.

mc mc

Nice to see the character of Pike coming to the screen played by a good actor.

RIP Jeffrey Hunter.

Nov 8 - 12:58 PM

BuckyUnderbelly

Robb Badlam

I've always liked Bruce Greenwood. And I never quite understood why he never got bumped up to the major leagues after his terrific performance as JFK in Thirteen Days. He works consistently and always puts in solid performances, but he rarely gets offered the kind of material that would allow him to really tear it up. I also really dug Below, an underrated little thriller.

Nov 8 - 01:23 PM

rt_hire_me

Teague Bates

Nov 8 - 02:22 PM

TheAnswerMVP2001

Snipes .

I think he's a little too old to be Pike. I'm still not pleased with the casting of this film.

Nov 8 - 06:51 PM

Odo19

Jovanni Ramirez

He is too old, but what the hell. At least he is better than some of the other people rumored to be cast in that role.

Nov 8 - 07:26 PM

MC.

mc mc

He plays an 50 year Pike rather than a 40 year old Pike. Not a problem. I only hope he is as intense as Hunter was.

Nov 8 - 07:35 PM

Ciaranmv

Ciaran Vejby

Awesome choice! He was excellent in "Thirteen Days," totally outshone Costner in that.

Nov 8 - 10:17 PM

johnny stone

john stone

that's quite a talent to be able to improve a movie by his mere presence...neat trick. I don't think I've ever really liked a Trek film and this isn't looking any more promising.

Nov 8 - 10:30 PM

Ethan Hawke's 10 Best Movies

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

Pictures of great movie apes

Planet of the Apes
Planet of the Apes

Watch interviews with the cast