Winona Ryder Is Spock's Mom

Is it possible to have a train wreck in space?

All the major roles might be nailed down, but that doesn't mean we have to stop having fun with Star Trek XI casting news 'n' rumors, right? Of course it doesn't!

First, let's talk about last week's rumor that Rachel Nichols (of P2, not ESPN) was being considered for a part in the franchise reboot, reuniting her with her Alias boss, Trek director J.J. Abrams. Turns out that the rumormongers were on the money -- as Nichols tells the Toronto Sun:

"I'm very restricted on what I'm allowed to say," she says. "But yes, there's a good chance you'll see my shining face in the new Star Trek ... My mom even e-mailed me about it because she saw it (online) and I hadn't told her yet. There's a lot of buzz about it, but honestly, I don't even know the name of my character."

"J.J.'s one of the most generous people I've ever met ... He's very, very loyal."

While the details of Nichols' involvement in the new Trek are still fuzzy, Variety reports that another actress has joined the cast, and her role is 100% confirmed. Read on:

Paramount Pictures and director JJ Abrams have set Winona Ryder to play the Vulcan mother of a young Spock (Zachary Quinto).

Christmas 2008 suddenly seems so very far away.

Source: Variety
Source: The Toronto Sun

Comments

blank blank

bob jones

why dont they just cast david spade as captain kirk and get it over with

Nov 9 - 07:24 AM

SpikesInMySkull

G. Keith Cable

Um.... wait...

"Paramount Pictures and director JJ Abrams have set Winona Ryder to play the Vulcan mother of a young Spock"

Um.... damnit... I hate being a nerd.... Vulcan mother!?!?!?

Spock's mother is HUMAN!!!! I hope that was a misktake on behaf of the person writing the article, not the people making the movie...

Nov 9 - 07:28 AM

Jeff Giles

Jeff Giles

A commenter at Variety picked up on that too, Spikes -- but I figured I'd just quote the article directly anyway. Let 'em take their lumps.

Nov 9 - 07:37 AM

Nov 9 - 07:31 AM

Jeff Giles

Jeff Giles

Nov 9 - 07:37 AM

Defmonkey

Tyson Herritt

Heh, I was thinking for a second that Ryder would make a good looking vulcan, but my nerd radar for Trek wasn't going off for some reason. Maybe his HUMAN mom then?

Nov 9 - 07:57 AM

TombstoneLawDog

Daniel Klein

That's what I'm guessing- RT 'mispoke' and they mean WR is going to play Spock [who is a Vulcan]'s Mother. I don't think they're going to f#ck with something like that.

Then again, I'm on record as not understanding why this project makes sense to do, at all. Reason #39: Let's say this movie is a hit. That means 'franchise.' by the time they clear everyone's schedule for the second movie, and get a script into production, all the actors are AS old or OLDER than the original actors were when they played these characters. So what does that mean; do they 'weave' their adventures 'in between' the old ones? Or are they over-writing them? Either way, it just seems like too great a risk to screw with a classic.

Nov 9 - 08:27 AM

Jeff Giles

Jeff Giles

Again, RT did not misspeak. The bit you read was taken word-for-word from Variety.

Nov 9 - 09:04 AM

SpikesInMySkull

G. Keith Cable

I assume that was the case actually, when I refered to "the person writing the article" I meant the person writing the article at Variety, not you. Just to clarify.

Nov 9 - 09:12 AM

JUDGE DREDD

idle one kenobi

"Spock! Set Phasers to stun.... wait a minuit... Wheres my Phaser???? Its been STOLEN!!! hmmm, Who could have taken it ??? "

Nov 9 - 08:49 AM

Jeff Giles

Jeff Giles

Nov 9 - 09:04 AM

SpikesInMySkull

G. Keith Cable

Nov 9 - 09:12 AM

SpikesInMySkull

G. Keith Cable

Nov 9 - 09:12 AM

TombstoneLawDog

Daniel Klein

Fair enough. What I get for not reading closely. This actually makes me feel better the possible error: I wouldn't expect someone at RT to not know Spock's mom was human. Variety?

"Okay, who want's to handle this dork Sh#t Star Trek interview with Winona Rider playing-- what is this, the mother of a Smock? Whathef#ck? Let's get an intern on this..."

Nov 9 - 09:17 AM

BrianInSD

Brian Gaul

Winona Ryder is now age-appropriate to play Spock's mother? Why does that suddenly make me feel really, really old?

Nov 9 - 09:20 AM

cabezone

First Last

Nov 9 - 09:52 AM

itsaysicanuse25characters

Daniel Hougey

"Errr...she's only a few years older than Zachary. I have to assume this is some kind of flashback thing with a child actor playing a very young Spock. Otherwise it's gonna look real funny, unless she's heavily made up to look older."

Ugh...that reminds me of Edward Scissorhands...her "old woman" was absolutely terrible.

Nov 10 - 11:20 AM

SpikesInMySkull

G. Keith Cable

Now that you mention age... Vulcan's age slower than human, so not only does Winona Rider have to play Sock mother, but she has to play mother to someone who ages half as fast as she does and is played by Zach Kinto.

Anyway you looks at this Amanda Greyson would have to be in at least her 50s.

That's assuming of course this movie doesn't cover Spock's childhood, which considering it covers his young adulthood and his old age, there's no real reason to.

Nov 9 - 10:20 AM

MC.

mc mc

She was cool in reality bites.

Can we get Spock's mom dancing to "my sharona" on a starbase?

Nov 9 - 10:24 AM

SpikesInMySkull

G. Keith Cable

No, we can not.

As that is how it should be.

Nov 9 - 10:29 AM

SpikesInMySkull

G. Keith Cable

No, we can not.

As that is how it should be.

Nov 9 - 10:29 AM

SpikesInMySkull

G. Keith Cable

Also, Reality Bites sucks. Singles was better. No wait, no it wasn't we just thought it was because it was the 90's. At any rate no "My Sharona" anywhere, ever again.

Nov 9 - 10:30 AM

Jhall4334

James Hall

Ive never been a Star Trek fan EVER but Id probably see this movie for the cast alone...that and ofcourse because Winona Ryder is smokin hot

Nov 9 - 11:06 AM

RainNIU

Justin Woo

Please tell me Kal Penn shows up and goes to an Intergalactic White Castle with Sulu...

Nov 9 - 11:45 AM

johnny stone

john stone

I hope Winona steals from the set and tries to sell the items on ebay, then gets caught and is banished back to Adam Sandler movies.

Nov 9 - 12:37 PM

Dachshund96

Alpha Z

I don't like Thief girl. I don't like the way Thief girl talks. I don't like the way Thief girl says her S's. Please don't ruin the show with Thief girl.

Nov 9 - 12:54 PM

Richard Linklater
Richard Linklater

What are his Five Favorite Films?

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

Emmys
Emmys

Full 2014 nominations list

Planet of the Apes
Planet of the Apes

Watch interviews with the cast