Abrams Explains Trek's Lack of Shatner

Summary

To Shat or not to Shat? It's been the subject of many a recent "Star Trek" rumor, but J.J. Abrams recently came out and said there will definitely not be any William Shatner in his installment of the saga -- and told us why. Back to Article

Comments

jocampo

Jerry Ocampo

imo, no single actor can 'own' a character. there is no such thing as a definitive interpretation of a role. there are only brillian interpretation. this should be the case, whether the role is hamlet, the joker or james t. kirk.

Sep 9 - 04:44 AM

Sulaco2k

Joseph McWilliams

First news I've heard about this movie that makes me actually want to see it. I've always thought Shatner seemed like an egotistical prick and I'm glad to hear they didn't cave in to the fatass. Perhaps someone will sign him for Star Trek XXLCX: The Journey to McDonalds.

Sep 9 - 05:59 AM

Shatter24

Jeremiah Rancourt

As much as I like Shatner's Kirk, the consistency and believability of the story within the Star Trek universe must come first. I thought the flashback sequence with Kirk and Spock would have worked, but if Shatner don't want a cameo then leave it out.

Sep 9 - 06:59 AM

joeyang1976

Joe Yang

Although I'm a little disappointed to see a Shatner-less Kirk, at least JJ Abrams made the effort. But the story comes first, and if it works without Shatner, then so be it. Hopefully someday we'll see a TJ Hooker movie directed by John Woo!

Sep 9 - 08:14 AM

Slipperypick

Christopher Child

Shatner is an egomaniac pure and simple. He made the role, but he also died onscreen. J.J. Abrams handled the situation (and Shatner's overinflated ego) with style in that interview. This Trek might actually be good; I'm expecting a sort of "Casino Royale" franchise rebirth here... Bring it on, and make Star Trek interesting again!
Oh, and screw Shatner.

Sep 9 - 08:38 AM

markbart0305

Mark Bartoszek

"Well, his character died on screen. Maybe a smarter group of filmmakers could have figured out how to resolve that."

Screw you J.J. Abrams! Star Trek: Generations was awesome and his death was a fitting end to his legacy, passing the torch down to Picard.

Sep 9 - 01:09 PM

reavus4983

Mike Saxton

I think Abrams meant, 'maybe a smarter group of filmmakers could have figured out how to bring him back, but we couldn't think of a logical way' rather than directing it at the Generations writers. But I do have to say as someone with a man-crush on Kirk: that was the worst, most vain death for a major cinematic hero ever, simply for the sake of passing the torch. Though, it was at least better than the alternate version where Soran shot him in the back. Also, he contradicted himself from Final Frontier where he said that he always knew he'd die alone.

Still, I'm hopeful for this movie. I like Abrams. He should reboot the Trek TV series teaming up with Manny Coto; Abrams is a genius at creating good television. Too bad we have to wait until May rather than this December. Hopefully we'll see a teaser trailer with actual footage pretty soon.

Sep 9 - 07:46 PM

reavus4983

Mike Saxton

Sep 9 - 07:46 PM

Movies for Tax Day
Movies for Tax Day

Your tax dollars at work, in movies.

Picture gallery of movie bears

Summer Movies