Box Office Guru Preview: Star Trek Opens Fire on Wolverine

Summary

For the first time in four years the second weekend of May will see a new release debut in the number one spot as Paramount boldly re-energizes one of its oldest franchises with the new Star Trek which aims to topple last weekend's champ X-Men Origins: Wolverine. The frame's only other new title, the comedy Next Day Air, gets a much more subdued launch and will find itself much lower on the charts. The battling action tentpoles should lead the North American box office to a solid win over last year's comparable session helping the summer continue its red hot start. Back to Article

Comments

inactive user

Jared King

Of course number one will be "Next Day Air"...unless I'm forgetting something...

May 7 - 04:07 PM

earthbound

Michael Fortner

$71 million? Even with Wolverine out there, I think that is a low estimate for Star Trek. I think that it should top Wolverine's bow and could break $100 million.

May 7 - 04:55 PM

Steven M.

Steven Muenkel

Apparently they've changed the name of the Enterprise to "U.S.S. Kelvin" judging by the picture above.

May 7 - 05:06 PM

Alterran

Anon Y. Mouse

Yes, I was going to mention that. The caption is erroneous.

May 7 - 06:22 PM

iamkingoffun

First Last

"Yes, I was going to mention that. The caption is erroneous."
................
Actually it's not. If you look at the picture, it clearly reads on the ship USS KELVIN. No where does it imply that this is the new Enterprise.

May 9 - 07:22 PM

Nick Hershey

nick hershey

The caption was erroneous, but someone at RT fixed it.

May 11 - 02:49 PM

iamkingoffun

First Last

If you read the article it won't be so "apparent" anymore.

May 9 - 07:19 PM

TheCaptain of TeamLoyalty

John Webb

Star Trek is looking like it is going to be the big winner this summer. That is awesome.

May 7 - 06:21 PM

Alterran

Anon Y. Mouse

Yes, I was going to mention that. The caption is erroneous.

May 7 - 06:22 PM

iamkingoffun

First Last

"Yes, I was going to mention that. The caption is erroneous."
................

May 9 - 07:22 PM

Nick Hershey

nick hershey

The caption was erroneous, but someone at RT fixed it.

May 11 - 02:49 PM

eastern2western

peter liu

in real life, is the new star trek even possible, I am just asking this question for information, basically the star ship is the most advance ship with top technology, however, are they going to let a group of 30 years old to run it, I am sure that in real life, such kind of flying machine probably requires someone with at least 20 years of experience to even get inside of the ship, just my opinion because as I look at the new crew, the only thing I can think of is that they look too young to be running such advance machine, even for piloting an air plane, people are required certain fly hours to get into a plane of certain size, my opinion, hope it does not anger anyone, I understand that paramount wants a young crew for numerous reasons, cheap, longevity, attraction of female fans etc

May 7 - 06:43 PM

ZigBallistic

marshall westbrook

Almost everyone I talk to, young and old is going to see this movie this week or next. I think it may smash 100mil this weekend easy.

May 7 - 06:55 PM

HectorMoran91

Hector Moran

Lets just all agree...this is going to be...BIG

May 7 - 07:47 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Yes, "Next Day Air" will break records!

May 7 - 09:45 PM

davenet

Dave Netherton

Well at my location (I live in Canada) there were 3 showings of Star Trek tonight 7:00, 8:00 and 10:00 on 2 screens. Not sure if in the States locations were only showing 1 engagement at 7:00pm. Given the extra day, IMAX locations and fewer screens than Wolverine I'll predict a $94 Million opening 4 day weekend.

May 7 - 08:54 PM

GreenBastard

Craig Storey

I saw it yesterday. It's fricking Awesome!! I'm going again! The new cast is sweet! I wont say anything else, I dont want to spoil it. Star Trek is alive!

May 7 - 09:02 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Yes, "Next Day Air" will break records!

May 7 - 09:45 PM

Moviemaniack1993

Stanley Zdon

As someone who never had the least bit of interest in Star Trek, I was even excited to go see this film. I went at 10:00 and it was packed. AND, I LOVED it!! It was sooo good. Easily the best film of 2009 so far by far! Anyone can enjoy this movie, so tell everyone to go and see it. I was blown away.

May 7 - 10:03 PM

screwhead100

Ben Wellick

im suprised how everyone is so optimistic in here about this cracking 90 mil....when no other trek movie ever cracked 31 mil opening before.....to adjust for inflation that would mean no trek movie ever opened up at around 55 to 65 mil......

where are all the others fans coming from?!!? im a huge movie goer during the summer movie season and im excited to see star trek but im still realistic about how it will do at the box office.....

65 to 75 mil is my guess.......hopefully it does better b/c abrams look like he has done a god job from the trailers to the critical reception.......

i just hope terminator doesnt totally destroy its legs if it really is that good so we can get another one....

p.s. i hope terminator totally destroys wolverines legs.....figuratively and literally.....

May 8 - 01:57 AM

BUCK69

JIM GRONEFELD

The writing is on the wall [or the stars]. There's no competition. Wolverine has ran its course. I see about $90 - $100 million this weekend, and a total near $300 million. It's that good. I saw it last night - the first Imax show was sold out, and people were lining-up for the second one at midnight more than hour before it started.

May 8 - 01:52 PM

Kevin C.

Kevin Comerford

Well said, one thing though; the picture you have marked as the U.S.S. Enterprise is the U.S.S. Kelvin.

May 8 - 04:00 AM

Bloody Mathias

Mathias N/A

$71 million is way too low. The buxx about this film is huge.

Star Trek Predictions:

- $95 million O.W.

- $275 million Final

May 8 - 05:58 AM

Bloody Mathias

Mathias N/A

* Sorry, i meant Buzz. DAMN YOU SPELLCHECK!

May 8 - 05:59 AM

BUCK69

JIM GRONEFELD

May 8 - 01:52 PM

Sommo P.

Sommo Pokkonin

[URL=http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_trek_11/news/1819174/box_office_guru_preview_star_trek_opens_fire_on_wolverine]http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_trek_11/news/1819174/box_office_guru_preview_star_trek_opens_fire_on_wolverine[/URL]

May 9 - 09:42 AM

TheCaptain of TeamLoyalty

John Webb

I cant wait to see this movie destroy Terminator just to laugh in all the idiots like screwhead who think that Terminator will be good. It if official Wolverine and Star Trek are better than Terminator and hopefully Star Trek will wipe the floor financially with Terminator.

May 9 - 03:56 PM

iamkingoffun

First Last

If you read the article it won't be so "apparent" anymore.

May 9 - 07:19 PM

Box Office Wrapup
Box Office Wrapup

Captain America Triumphs Again

WonderCon
WonderCon

175 cosplay pictures

Highlights
Highlights

Picture gallery of stoners in film

<em>If I Stay</em>