Trekking With Tim, Day Two: Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

Summary

My feeling is that movie adaptations should be able to appeal to both diehards and non-fans alike. They should maintain the spirit of their source material, but should not be slavishly devoted to it. Most importantly, they should work on their own terms; if you know nothing about the book, TV series, or original film that is being adapted, the film should still create a stand-alone experience. This is a roundabout way of getting to the point: I really enjoyed Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. This second film feels like the birth of a movie franchise, not simply an extension of a popular TV show. Compared to Star Trek: The Motion Picture, Khan is more exciting, it's better acted, the special effects are more convincing, and, most importantly, the characters are better realized. This is hardly a minority opinion, since Khan is regularly cited as the best of the series. Still, it's a good movie any way you slice it. Back to Article

Comments

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Khan is my fav, I also like The Search of Spock which is next I believe. Not nearly as good as Khan, but its a fun Trek movie. Also I think I may need to pick up that Blu Ray set this week, wouldn't mind revisiting them before I see Trek, though it sucks that there not remastered.

Apr 24 - 11:00 PM

greg b.

greg baltzer

I agree. The undiscovered Country is my favorite as well. Where else can you hear Shakespeare in it's original Klingon. "Cry havoc, and let loose the dogs of war!"

Apr 24 - 11:05 PM

howard n.

howard nelson

Great movie but I always thought there was one unfortunate error. Just before the ship exploded, Khan should have seen the Enterprise escape. He died thinking Kirk died too.

Apr 25 - 12:28 AM

Mr.SAM

Starmonkey Spruit

8/10. I haven't seen Khan in many Klingon moons but I fondly remember it being great. It has arguably the greatest villain in Khan, and has many fantastic scenes which have now become a hallmark of the series. However, I still think TUC is better though(by a slight margin)

Also, Khan has a fabulous sea faring score(Horner's best) and far better uniforms than pajamas they wore in the motionless picture. lol

Apr 25 - 03:23 AM

Looselycult

Dean Peteet

Accursed A.: " I remember seeing Wrath of Kahn when I was about 10. 1982 was a great year in movies for me: E.T., Star Trek II, 48 Hrs, Rocky III, Poltergeist, The Dark Crystal, Conan the Barbarian, Tron, The Road Warrior, heck, even Airplane II and Grease 2 all had a huge effect on my growing psyche. But none more than E.T. and Star Trek II. E.T. taught me about love and letting go."

Dude you forgot the single most important science fiction film of all time which also happen to come out that summer. "Blade Runner".

Apr 25 - 06:44 AM

Sputnik99

sputnik 99

WOC is about the only Trek movie on par with an Original Trilogy Star Wars, IMHO. It looks great, the writing is great (Khan sure liked Moby Dick) and the battle in the Mutara Nebula is on par with Star Wars battles. TUC was cool with the Klingons and FC was cool with the Borg, but the best battles and the power of Spock's death make WOC the best Star Trek Movie, IMHO.

And those worm things gave me nightmares when I was a kid, but I think they are totally awesome now!

Apr 25 - 07:33 AM

Scott51171

Scott Circe

"'It was the best of times, it was the worst of times', message Spock?"
"None that I am aware of Admiral, except of course, Happy Birthday."

And Sputnik99, I think you mean WOK, I figured it was just a mistake the first time, but the second....

Apr 25 - 07:48 AM

Sputnik99

sputnik 99

I am humiliated. WOC. What was I thinking? Wrath of Corinthian?

Apr 26 - 11:54 AM

Chris K.

Chris K.

Hands down, a great sci-fi movie...the updated uniforms and some of the Naval rituals seen in the movie give the universe a military feel that it seemed to be lacking. Wrath of Khan is probably the best film in the series with the original cast...can someone tell me what the difference between the original version of the film and the Director's Edition DVD is?

Apr 25 - 08:55 AM

niall1

Niall Cavanagh

khan is the third best film after first contact and the voyage home..

its not THE BEST because at the end of the day, its still a semi-generic revenge picture..

Apr 25 - 09:30 AM

inactive user

Jared King

First Contact and Voyage Home would be two and three respectively. For me at least. But, we agree on the top three, in a different order.

Apr 25 - 09:48 AM

Insurrection: Grade D-
Nemesis: C
Star Trek Trailer: Grade A

Apr 25 - 01:27 PM

inactive user

Jared King

B- for number 4? More like an A!

Apr 25 - 03:11 PM

inactive user

Jared King

And the Star Trek trailer dosen't deserve an A! More like a C.

Apr 25 - 10:01 PM

inactive user

Jared King

B- for number 4? More like an A!

Apr 25 - 03:11 PM

Looselycult

Dean Peteet

B- for number 4? More like an A!

It's about the earth being saved by whales from a giant tampon. Give me a break. It deserves a B-.

Apr 25 - 07:38 PM

inactive user

Jared King

But it's funny!

Apr 25 - 08:42 PM

ZigBallistic

marshall westbrook

WoK is definately my fav Star Trek movie to date. Great dialogue, an epic story, you can get into it without knowing any of the lore, Kahn is easily one of the best villains ever and who can forget the dogfight. Very few times did I feel like it was SHIPS fighting than in that nebula, it was like a fight between military subs.
I am not sure why but UC didn't rate as high on my list as Nemesis. That flick and First Contact rate at the top of Star Trek films, with UC maybe 4th or even 5th.

Apr 25 - 08:01 PM

inactive user

Jared King

But it's funny!

Apr 25 - 08:42 PM

inactive user

Jared King

And the Star Trek trailer dosen't deserve an A! More like a C.

Apr 25 - 10:01 PM

goni27

Benjamin Gonifas

2nd best Star-Trek Movie of all time. First is still First Contact for me. Sorry. I Guess I am a bit biased as I did grow up on Next Generation, and a little sad that with the reboot of the STOS we will probably never see the next-generation crew in action, ever again. That doesn't mean I'm not on-board for the new movie, actually I think it looks pretty damn awesome. But would be more awesome if it was about a young Picard.

Apr 26 - 01:28 AM

GeminiSixty6

Jason Morris

My favorite out of the original movie series. It has everything that makes a film great. Humor, action, emotion, and KHHHHAAAAANNNNN! Good review!

Apr 26 - 07:31 AM

ck100

Chris Kubat

Any of you ever seen actor/comedian Kevin Pollak do his impression of William Shatner as Captain Kirk? It's hilarious!

Check out a sample of him impression at the link below:

Apr 26 - 10:52 AM

Sputnik99

sputnik 99

I am humiliated. WOC. What was I thinking? Wrath of Corinthian?

Apr 26 - 11:54 AM

Box Office Wrapup
Box Office Wrapup

Captain America Triumphs Again

WonderCon
WonderCon

175 cosplay pictures

Highlights
Highlights

Picture gallery of stoners in film

<em>If I Stay</em>