42% Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Aug 22

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Star Trek II - The Wrath of Khan Reviews

Kevin C

June 8, 2013
And this is coming from an adamant "definitely not a fan" of the original series.
Everett J

May 17, 2013
This is the second movie in all of the "Star Trek" movies, and it's considered the best(I've only seen this and the first one). This is miles better than the first movie, and really showcases a great story, with great characters. A guy I work with recommended I watch an old episode called "Space Seed" first. It's not mandatory, but it's a great thing to do, because it gives a great set up, and you get to see why Khan and Kirk hate each other. The effects are very dated, and the acting is just awesome. Awesome, because it's all overacted, which for a movie like this works well. When Kirk yells Khan, it's just awesome. I like the Abrams movies better, but this makes me want to continue with the old movies to see where it all goes. Good movie that's still good 30 years later.
Christian C

May 14, 2013
Without question, the best Star Trek film until the franchise was renewed by J.J. Abrams.
KJ P

October 1, 2010
With a story this good, it's impossible to not call this one of the best Sci-fi tales out there. The characters get more development, which is exactly what I wanted, and the visuals are far superior now than they were in the previous film. The first half of this film is build-up to a very interesting villain who has clearly shared a past with James T. Kirk. Khan is his name, and his game is to take the Genesis information, which secret is to gain new life on planets. "Star Trek II - The Wrath of Khan" is exactly what a Star Trek film needs to be, and more. The series is just getting started and I am already hooked! Great direction, the cinematography captures everything just right, and the Score and Visuals really hold the film together once again. I have absolutely no complaints about this entry! I love it!
Flutie A

June 27, 2007
Satisfying enough and a great entry in the franchise, though I'm definitely spoiled by the J.J. Abrams versions.
Phil H

June 29, 2012
I never did understand how this film was so much more successful and popular than the first. Quite clearly the film has gone for a slightly more silly plot losing allot of the straight laced sci-fi from the first. I suppose you could say they lost the aspiring '2001' type sequences and went back to the more well known cardboard effects of Star Trek, shame.

Now I realise the slow building straight faced Star Trek we got in the first film was frowned upon but its hard to see what the fans actually wanted in a big screen version. There were complaints that the original was just an outstretched TV episode with fancy visuals, yet this sequel (in my opinion) was even more of an outstretched TV episode with lousy visuals.

I gotta give it to the creative teams behind the film, it was damn brave going ahead with this plot that's for sure. If you look at the facts here...the plot follows on from an episode which was in the old original TV series back in the mid 60's. So already you are possibly excluding most of your target audience as I'm sure many had not seen this episode and possibly not allot of the original series (of course many would have). So technically unless you had seen that episode you would be wondering what on earth happened before hand and feeling somewhat in the dark.

A bold move on the plot methinks, could of gone all wrong there. That aside I think the film looked pretty poor also, the effects looked allot rougher (which is saying something) and in general the grandiose feeling you got in the first film seemed to have been sucked away. What you had left was a quite cheap looking and very generic film, the only thing that looked spruced up were the character uniforms.

For me the franchise went backwards with this outing, it was kinda cool how they explored and expanded an old TV episode but the whole thing is so basic. I liked the slow strategic 'galleon' type starship battle between 'Kirk' and 'Khan' in the nebulae but apart from that there was nothing really that stuck out as a big moment.

Of course a sneering seething Ricardo Montalbán really helped the film with his portrayal of the dastardly 'Khan' but he doesn't do much does he. A curious one this, I know its a fan favourite and it saved the Star Trek franchise at the time of release but I just don't see why or how. I guess it was all about less fancy eye candy and a more 'down to earth' gritty Trek adventure.
cosmo313
cosmo313

May 8, 2009
I used to look down upon Star Trek-thinking it was boring and too nerdy. I slowly got really interested in it though, probably because I've gotten older and can appreciate stuff that I thought was boring when I was a kid. I saw the 2009 film, and really enjoyed it. I was told it was done in the spirit of the original series, so I watched some of the old episodes, and, while I wasn't blown away by them, I did like them. Now, having just watched The Wrath of Khan- I need to fully rescind my former thoughts and attitudes about Star Trek. I truly am more nerdy than I'm sometimes more willing to show or admit. This movie was fucking great. It dealt with great ideas and themes in a fun manner. Like I said, now that I'm older I can appreciate the intelligence of sci-fi. I really like Star Wars, but that's just a collection of genre films set in space. This is sophistcated and fun. The fact that this movie has overt parallels to Moby Dick doesn't hurt either. I finally get what all the fuss is about.

Despite coming out in 1982, this movie holds up better than expected. True, the effects look dated, but they're still cool. It makes one appreciate how far cinema has come. The writing is good, the direction is strong, and the performances, especially by scene stealer Montalban are great. For me though, I think the best part was James Horner's score. It has everything one could ask for in a great piece of work-it is rousing, touching, and suspenseful. It's gonna take a while for it to leave my head.

Maybe I'm letting my immediate thoughts dictate this review, but I can't deny that this film is awesome, and that Trek is now something I can say that I will consider becoming at least a casual fan of.
Colin M

August 1, 2008
The Greatest Star Trek Film EVER. Ricardo Montalbon's Khan Noonien Singh returns from his appearance in one of the greatest episodes of the original Star Trek series (Season One's "Space Seed"). Despite the greatness of the film, however, the Eugenics that created the villain and the intellectuality behind his inaugural episode is largely vacant here, which marks the film down from being truly perfect. Also, much of the pleasure of this film is gained only by first watching the "Space Seed" episode from the TV Series, and, if not, Kahn is merely a vengeful guy, rather than the complex former dictator true fans know him to be.
CloudStrife84
CloudStrife84

April 21, 2007
By far the best film with the original crew. Somewhat slow to begin with, but once things get going, it's a non-stop ride of pure excitement. Impressive special effects for their time and it might be interesting to know that this was one of the first motion pictures to ever incorporate CGI. Love the music score and Khan is hands down one of the all-time greatest movie villains - in any category!
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

May 11, 2011
Now, I nearly was a diehard Star Trek fan. I haven't watched the show, only a few episodes with my dad when I was a kid, but that was it. I like what I saw, but I never was blown away by anything. Personally, I preferred Star Wars. For this sequel, it's kind of hard to judge because I haven't seen any of the other films aside from the most recent one. The recent one I thought was terrific. It also redeemed the Sci Fi genre after the lacking Star Wars prequels (Which I thought that the third one was the best of all). Now I haven't seen Star Trek:The Motion Picture, but I did very like this second entry. I thought the film had a very good story and decent enough acting. Considering that I really don't follow Star Trek, I think that this is a well made film that is definitely a landmark in the Sci Fi genre. The acting is fairly good, but it's nothing that great. The actors that in the Star Trek show and films are average, and aren't anything extraordinary. I thought the film had everything required to make a giood Sci Fi film. The film has a terrific story, and also boasts one of the most memorable film quotes ever in film. Sure at times the film feels slow, but theres enough story to keep you interested. Like I've said, I haven't seen the first Star Trek so I can't compare, but for what it is; this is a superb film. The Wrath Of Khan is a film that will definitely appeal to most Star Trek fans and it delivers a good story that keeps you interested till the end.
garyX
garyX

November 20, 2006
Old genetically engineered adversary Khan reappears after being marooned on a desolate planet by captain Kirk 15 years previously to wreak bloody vengeance. The second big screen outing by Shatner and co was far more in the spirit of the original series than the slow moving but visually spectacular first film, and is widely regarded as the best Star Trek movie. I did not like the recent reinvention much as I found it to be a tacky exercise in cheap laughs and corny action aimed at the lowest common denominator. But the fact is, in full expectation of seeing a superior Trek film I found myself watching Wrath Of Khan through objective eyes, and as a result I also found myself realising that it isn't very good. The production design is not only dated, but also just generally poor and odd looking (especially the costumes), the dialogue clunky and immature, and seeing two of the biggest small screen hams facing off against each other on, well, small screens (they never actually meet in this film!) I found myself laughing at it a lot more often than with it. I grew up with Shatner, Nimoy and Kelley and so they still have a place in my nostalgic heart but if I was to be honest, if I saw this for the first time now, I'd find it a tacky exercise in cheap laughs and corny action aimed at the lowest common denominator. I just hope I can keep my objectivity on hold for the next time I see Star Wars or my reality as I know it will come crashing down around my ears...
AJ V

September 6, 2010
So much better than the first Star Trek movie, this one is often considered the best Trek movie of all time, it's not my favourite, but it is a great sci-fi movie and as I said, a great improvement over the first.
michael e.
michael e.

November 26, 2010
though its not one of the worst movies ive ever seen i was never that interested in the old star trek series and this movie really wasnt that entertaining, (so far ive only seen nemesis, wrath of khan, and close encounter)
Richard C

July 8, 2010
A-
Ross C

August 19, 2007
With the movie's title emphasising the Khan-Kirk rivalry it's easy to forget the prominent sub-plot that ran into the next movie as well - the terraforming Genesis device. This was a time when you could make an action sci-fi movie with a kick-ass bad guy without cutting down on the hard-core sci-fi concepts. The main story was fun, but I think the depiction of futuristic science in the sub-plot influenced me a lot as a child.
Jens S

June 14, 2006
After the raving reviews I heard about this over the years, I finally had a look and ended up severely disappointed. The effects do not look good, even for 1982, look at Star Wars 6 from '83 instead. The pace is awfully slow and even Spock's death doesn't work as shock value anymore, because we all know he came back. Even the often praised bad guy Khan is nothing but a stereotype. I simply don't get it. Kirk's crew had a few much more enjoyable adventures later.
It also proves what a brilliant kick-start J.J. Abrahms gave the franchise last year.
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

March 25, 2007
The best Star Trek film? Quite possibly.
Carlos M

December 20, 2009
Infinitely superior to the first film, this impeccable sci-fi movie offers everything a fan could ask for: lots of elegant dialogues, expert pacing, bad-ass action, constant tension, good drama, wonderful performances, a great vengeance-driven villain and, above all, a very well-constructed plot with an unforgettable ending.
Anthony L

September 21, 2009
You are, and always will be, the best Star Trek film ever. Live long and prosper Star Trek 2!
TomBowler
TomBowler

September 2, 2009
if you're not convinced by the great storyline, ahead of their time special effects and the appearance of Kirstie Allie, William Shatner's "KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!!!" should make you love the movie anyway.