Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan Reviews

May 21, 2016
Khan is KRAZY!!! This movie is NOT really fun. It is like a FACES OF DEATH in outer space. Everything in this movie pops. The narrative, acting, special effects. The formula is JUST RIGHT. And it is SCARRY as HELL.
April 5, 2016
"I don't believe in no-win scenarios"-Jim Kirk. A wonderful entry in the Star Trek franchise. Star Trek is like no Sci-Fi out there. Unlike Star Wars, attempting to create the perfect fantasy tale about an alternate reality, Star Trek gives us fiction's glimpse of what could be. Love this film.
May 30, 2011
Trying not to soon on the flight
February 28, 2016
It is a picture made to entertain on a skin deep level and succeeds.
½ February 21, 2016
Much better than the first movie. Fast paced and entertaining. Khan was one of my favorite villains from the original series. I just wished they made him a little more intimidating like on the show.
February 13, 2016
The best Star Trek movie ever made.
February 10, 2016
one of the best star trek flims ever
February 9, 2016
Sequels are supposed to take what was great about the first outing and expand on it while also improving upon the mishaps as well. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan is better than the first film in almost every aspect. I took issue with the pacing, overuse of special effects, length, and the lack of a present villain in Star Trek: The Motion Picture. This film wipes away silly and unnecessary special effects and gives us an intriguing story with characters who we understand and care about. It's also a solid 30 minutes shorter without cutting out anything that would hurt the story. I was thoroughly impressed by this sequel even 30 years after its release.

We open the film as the enterprise seemingly has a new captain in Kirstie Alley's Saavik, only to find out its a training exercise put together by Spock and Admiral Kirk. I was worried they may rehash the same story line as the first film as Kirk seemed to hint that he may be done with the Enterprise, only to run into an old foe in Khan. Even though I have seen bits and pieces of the original series and had been somewhat familiar with Khan as a villain, I didn't know to the extent to which him and Kirk were linked. I was glad to see viewing of his appearance in the TV series wasn't entirely necessary as they explained enough in the 103 minute run-time.

Khan has become somewhat of a pop culture icon over the years, so I had my fair share of expectations going in. Ricardo Montalban's performance and the writing didn't let me down. So much so that you understand where Khan is coming from when he wants Project Genesis from the crew and wants revenge for what Kirk did. In many ways, he was Kirk's arch nemesis and proved to come through with a lot of what he swore to do to Kirk. My only gripe with him as a villain was that I feel like we were missing an in person interaction with Kirk himself. Speaking through a video screen inside the Enterprise isn't enough, you need that human interaction.

With that said, The Wrath of Khan has the emotional layers and character depths that the first film was lacking. All of the original dynamics of the ship are there, plus some new and enjoyable ones as well. Plus, it doesn't take 45 minutes for things to get going, the pacing is much improved. James Horner's haunting score also sets the tone immediately from the opening scene, all the way through the bittersweet ending. Overall, everything feels bigger and better with The Wrath of Khan. Having seen the new Trek films, I think this can rank up there with them as some of the best outings the Enterprise crew has ever had.

+Fantastic score

+Emotionally layered

+Special effects & pacing much improved

+Very good villain

-Although Khan was missing the human interaction with Kirk

8.6/10
May 2, 2011
Simply put: It saved the Star Trek franchise. It's character and story driven with near perfect pacing. It ranks with Empire Strikes Back as one of the greatest sequels ever and in terms of impact it had on its franchise, it surpassed Empire.
½ December 2, 2007
"The second movie, the best one so far, remembered what made the Star Trek TV series so special: not its special effects, not its space opera gimmicks, but its use of science fiction as a platform for programs about human nature and the limitations of intelligence." (Roger Ebert).
½ December 30, 2015
Got it on blueray for Christmas. Still hold up with a great story and settings.
December 27, 2015
The Wrath of Khan is intriguing, dark, well directed and an overall thrilling space movie. It is very much what everyone expected the first movie to be: it IS Star Trek. You can feel the vibe between the crew and the villain, there are emotional stakes, and the plot is rolled out extremely well.
December 23, 2015
Best Star Trek movie ever!
December 14, 2015
This is one of the best films ever made.

Tagline: His was the most...human.
March 25, 2013
-IGNORE THIS "OUT OF FIVE" RATING
3/4
Likable Sci-fi entry has the Enterprise crew combat a nemesis from an earlier adventure from the original series. Fast-paced and entertaining, if slightly hokey and pretentious at times. Fans go nuts over this one, and for good reason.
½ November 15, 2015
Star trek ll is a cool space adventure with new threats and new Galaxy's
December 20, 2009
Infinitely superior to the first film, this impeccable film offers everything a fan could ask for: wonderful performances, engaging drama, constant tension, memorable dialogue, a fascinating villain bent on revenge and an incredibly well-constructed plot with an unforgettable ending.
November 9, 2015
I didn't realize until the other year this is the story of Mody Dick.