Just got back from watching ST:ID

Well I just got back from watching the film (from the UK) and I thought it was truly fantastic. one of the best films I have seen in a while and just as good as Trek '09 (which is one of my all time favourite movies). Some great twists, excellent performances and it looked visually incredible. For those of you from the US, I would avoid the Internet for the next week as the major spoilers are likely to be flying left, right and centre.

P.s. the short sequence with the Klingons was great with them never looking better.

My only gripe was that I thought the movie ended was too fast. (I.e. too much in too little time) but this didn't ruin it for me.
Christopher J.
05-9-2013 02:34 PM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

Anubhav Panigrahy

Anubhav Panigrahy

I do agree with the RT consensus. Highly entertaining, but not as refreshingly original as the 2009 movie. Also, Benedict Cumberbatch should have been given more screen time.

May 15 - 01:11 AM

Garry Cotton

Garry Cotton

I did really enjoy it. In particular I liked Benedict's portrayal of you know who and the reversal of Kirk and Spock at the end (plus the nice tip of the hat to the original).

My one sole complaint (and this really is nitpicking) would be pacing: I felt the movie would've benefitted from a 10-15 minute "breather" about half-way through - a point where it slowed down for a bit, perhaps some more dialogue and plot suspense and intrigue being developed. For more specifics see below although it's possible spoilers:

*SPOILERS!*

Once Harrison was captured I feel it would've been beneficial for there to be more time before Admiral Marcus turned up. This for me was the optimal point to build up some intrigue and allow the viewer to take things in.

Overall great movie though!

May 11 - 05:59 PM

Mister  M.

Mister Magoo

MISTER MAGOO says hello!
If you get rid of that pesky preposition, the initials are STD. I will refrain from seeing this movie, as I try to be STD free. That's why I use a strap-on with the little ones.
Toodalou!

May 10 - 09:43 PM

Joel Goodson

Tom Ho

Well that's a good sign

May 10 - 07:15 PM

Daniel Sysa

Daniel Sysa

I just got back from seeing it today, and as a huge Star Trek fan myself, I really, really enjoyed it. It was far from perfect but I think after the incredible 09 Star Trek our bars are ridiculously high. I think it suffered from some plot holes and the third act was scrappy, rushed and overshadowed by the opening scene. Other than that though awesome film.

*SPOILERS AHEAD*
I thought Benedict Cumberbatche's portrayal of Khan was absolutely incredible. He had a sense of evil and physicality that Ricardo (as amazing as he was) didn't have. They definitely missed a scene where he gets to use that huge ass USS Vengeance for more than 5 seconds before he starts plummeting to earth. Anyway, love it love it love it and it's also almost 1AM so I must be rambling. goodnight all!

May 10 - 04:46 PM

Matt Rabine

Matt Rabine

I've heard Klingons are in the film. Are they? And are they unmasked? I've seen a photo of JJ's interpretation of the Klingons, and I'm a bit disappointed. I'm hoping that scene is on the cutting room floor.

May 10 - 06:51 AM

Christopher J.

Christopher Jones

Yes Klingons are in this film. Not for long, around 10 minutes but they are a great addition. The Klingons wear war helmets but one of them (the leader) takes his helmet off and he looked incredible! Actually terrifying.

May 10 - 07:02 AM

Matt Rabine

Matt Rabine

I know I might be nick-picking, but does he look anything like the TOS-era Klingons, or TNG-era? I would just like the lore to match between timelines.

May 10 - 07:37 AM

Christopher J.

Christopher Jones

Both combined to be truthful. The best of both but leaning more towards the style of the movies/TNG. The ridges in the head are quite prominent but not full across the brow. just down the centre which is decorated with various piercings and then two lines up the sides so in a similar look to a birds foot. It was the klingon in the style of Calibos from Clash of the Titans 1981. You will probably be able to find a picture if you type 'Uhura and Klingon into darkness'.

May 10 - 07:44 AM

Matt Rabine

Matt Rabine

@Christopher Jones: Appreciate it! Thanks.

May 10 - 07:54 AM

Kaustav Chakravarthy

Kaustav Chakravarthy

Well, there's a bit of difference with the Klingon look in this timeline ... but I kinda liked it - the guy's skin looked more realistic than Worf, honestly (though I LOVE TNG and Worf ... )

May 10 - 01:47 PM

Diego Tutweiller

The Artist Formerly Known as Tutweiller

Well, of course you fucking loved it, you have LOST as your profile pic.

May 10 - 03:43 PM

Christopher J.

Christopher Jones

Shut up Darth Trollweiller

May 10 - 03:54 PM

Mike Myres

Mike Myres

Darth Tut Tut Darth, Tut Tut Darth, Tut Tut Daaarrrth! Darth Tut Tut Darth, Tut Tut Darth Tut Tut Tutweilllleeerrr!

May 10 - 04:26 PM

Christopher Kelly

Christopher Kelly

Nigga's name be Dark Trollweiner.

May 10 - 04:35 PM

Diego Tutweiller

The Artist Formerly Known as Tutweiller

I find your lack of faith in my epic trolling disturbing.

May 15 - 04:23 PM

Alex Maverick

Alex Maverick

I'm glad to hear that.

May 9 - 07:16 PM

Jake Diefenbach

Jake Diefenbach

Completely agree. I was on a high when I came back from seeing this.

May 9 - 07:04 PM

Christopher J.

Christopher Jones

same here, so much that I smiled going to sleep... I must have looked crazy.

May 10 - 12:39 AM

Killer Jay

Jay Catler

Not better than my film.

May 9 - 04:50 PM

Matt McCulla

Matt McCulla

Your film blows

May 9 - 06:27 PM

Christopher Kelly

Christopher Kelly

Yo Jay quit trollen fool.

May 9 - 07:06 PM

Alex Aston

Alex Aston

That's good to hear. I think I've said this about 100 times on RT, but Star Trek '09 for me was the best action adventure I've seen since Raiders of the Lost ark (if not better)and I'm also quite a big Trekkie so this films has a very high priority on my watchlist.

May 9 - 04:35 PM

Christopher J.

Christopher Jones

I hope you enjoy it. There is a sense of treading old ground but that does not stop it from being an excellent movie outright.

May 10 - 12:40 AM

Find us on:                     
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile