How is this a prequel?

How is this a prequel to the 2009 Star Trek movie? The first one is an origin story of the Enterprise crew, yet in this 'prequel' the crew somehow already knew each other before they met for the first time. Did this take place between the beginning of the first one where Picard's father dies, and the part where they meet te Romulans?

But then then there's a mistake. Dr Spock references the destruction of Vulcan in this film, even though the destruction of Vulcan doesn't even take place until the 2009 sequel. Han Sulu dies in this film, even though he too is in the 2009 sequel. The timeline doesn't add up. They were probably trying to do something clever regarding the black holes an alternate timelines explored in the sequel, but I think a possible factor is that, in experimenting with and rewriting the Space Trek canon, they became lost in a labyrinth of their own editorial pretensions.
Matthew Preston
05-11-2013 05:58 AM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

John Tyler

J *

By God, are you a fucking retarded little kid.

Jun 2 - 04:36 PM

Matt A.

Matt Andruscavage

I'm not a troll at all, but rather, a huge Star Trek fan. I'd give this movie about and 8.5 to 9 out of 10. It was excellent.

About the idea of this being a prequel, I guess it depends. Kirk and the crew are technically younger than the crew that was in the original series, but since the timeline changed, it's not really a prequel to any of the series' or movies we've already seen. It's a completely new series.

*SPOILER*

So Kirk could have died and it wouldn't have been a problem since the timeline changed in the 2009 movie.

May 28 - 02:20 PM

David Lo Pan

EntertainMeOrDie .

How are you not banned off RT?

May 11 - 10:02 PM

Christopher Kelly

Christopher Kelly

Says the troll who had the man on him. You and Jay should be gone fool. For reals. I can't wait for the man to get stepping on the two of you again. I finna laugh dawg. Word.

May 11 - 10:10 PM

Jefferson V.

Jefferson Versailles

I swear, if someone devises a bot filter that works on trolls, they will win the nobel prize.

May 11 - 06:53 PM

Bazooka Jew

Bazooka Jew

That's no fun.

May 11 - 09:28 PM

Jefferson V.

Jefferson Versailles

It does raise the question of who we would bait.

May 11 - 09:40 PM

Bazooka Jew

Bazooka Jew

There is a troll called Jim Starling who causes quite a stir with his troll threads. They provide some major entertainment.

May 11 - 10:02 PM

w@velength

In Your Dreams

You look like a black Mister Rogers.

May 11 - 06:21 PM

Christopher Kelly

Christopher Kelly

For reals. Uptown nigga na mean?

May 11 - 07:17 PM

Mahtowin Munro

Mahtowin Munro

It's the sequel to the 2009 film, and a bizarro-world version of the Original Series. It's not a prequel to anything, it's more of a reboot. Also, Picard is from TNG and has not and will not appear in these movies.

May 11 - 04:38 PM

Frank Cabanski

Frank Cabanski

Or will he?

May 25 - 09:44 PM

Jb Yong

Jb Yong

Q could send Picard back in time to meet Kirk like in STNG series finale. Or Charles Xavier could go into future through flux in quantum wormhole in his mind and meet Kirk. Ya cool man.

Jun 7 - 02:30 PM

Alex Maverick

Alex Maverick

To anyone who has not had the pleasure of meeting Matthew Preston and might be wondering how someone could be so stupid, I shall explain it to you. Matthew Preston is an internet troll. He has nothing else to do all day, so he decides to go on the internet and write things that make no sense simply to get a response from people. Yes, you are right when you inevitably call him an idiot, but not in the way you're thinking. He isn't so stupid that he actually believes that Star Trek Into Darkness is a prequel to Star Trek 2009. He is just an idiot who wants people to respond to his thread so that he can starts arguments with them. You're welcome.

May 11 - 12:04 PM

Matthew Preston

Matthew Preston

If it's not a prequel, why is there an older doctor Spock in this film? Because its referencing a film that it preceded, perhaps? Pipetard.

May 11 - 12:36 PM

Alex Maverick

Alex Maverick

Oh, you're so cute when you desperately try to start arguments out of nothing. But unfortunately for you Matthew, that shit doesn't work on me. Sorry, try again with someone else.

May 11 - 12:39 PM

Scott Wolfe

Scott Wolfe

This guy is so dumb. Alex how often do you deal with this crap?

May 11 - 01:00 PM

Alex Maverick

Alex Maverick

Long enough for me to have built up a strong immunity to people like him.

May 11 - 01:06 PM

Matthew Preston

Matthew Preston

If its not a prequel, then it's a sequel, and if it's a sequel, then how come Quinto's doctor Spock is younger than Nimoy's doctor Spock?

The Greeks mastered logic a few thousand years ago. Shame you couldn't keep up.

May 11 - 01:19 PM

Alex Maverick

Alex Maverick

LOL your responses are too pathetic to even take seriously. Move along before you mentally hurt yourself, Matty.

May 11 - 03:02 PM

Ash Gilmore

Ash J. Gilmore

I am flabbergasted at all the dumb I'm reading on this forum right now. I mean for Christ's sake Matthew, get a REAL fucking hobby.

May 11 - 08:34 PM

Matthew Preston

Matthew Preston

Even when I pretend to be dumb, I'm still smarter than ninety seven percent of the internet, including you. Try having a little more respect for your intellectual superiors.

May 12 - 01:39 AM

Christopher Kelly

Christopher Kelly

Oh shnap! Frankie done got got by the uptown nigga for reals. Na mean?

May 12 - 01:57 AM

Paul Warner

Paul Warner

Not sure if troll or just really, really dumb...

May 11 - 09:35 AM

Matthew Preston

Matthew Preston

Fascinating contribution, but last time I checked, prequels were supposed to *precede* their sequels. Retard.

May 11 - 09:54 AM

Andrew Targaryen

Andrew Targaryen

He's probably both...

May 11 - 09:59 AM

Matthew Preston

Matthew Preston

But what am I?

Just stick to the subject. The film id wrought with chronological inconsistencies. I didn't even mention all the faults I noticed. There's a reason Abrams changed the name of the original Space Trek to 'Star Trek', and that reason is that he has no respect for true fans and the source material. Half of the crew is missing. No Worf, no Data, no Chekov. More like no thanks!

May 11 - 10:20 AM

Jake P.

Jake Preston

He's my husband, Paul. We fuck every night.

May 11 - 12:44 PM

Andrew Targaryen

Andrew Targaryen

It's not a prequel. It takes place a few years after the 2009 Star Trek.

May 11 - 06:16 AM

Matthew Preston

Matthew Preston

That makes no sense whatsoever.

May 11 - 09:55 AM

Ash Gilmore

Ash J. Gilmore

Really how does it not make sense? (Everyone I know I'm just feeding the troll but I'm interested to see what kind of bullshit answer he gives me)

May 11 - 08:36 PM

Alex Maverick

Alex Maverick

He just wants you to argue with him. It's not worth it, Andrew.

May 11 - 12:05 PM

Find us on:                     
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile