Cumberbatch as Khan? Are you kidding me?

The movie Into The Darkness is a travesty of the Trek Legacy -

Khan is a slim white boy? This is a kick in the face to Star Trek fans!!! WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?

As a girl growing up - Ricardo Montalbán was the object of dreamy affections. I'm sure there were many of us. His appearance in The original Star Trek series (STOS) was when I first saw him and when he returned in his masterful performance in Wrath of Khan - he made the movie!

I can't believe with all the care and thought that went into casting the current Star Trek crew - they picked Benedict Cumberbatch as Khan? I think he's great in Sherlock - but as Khan? Are you kidding me?

How about Javier Bardem - he would have been fabulous!

Khan wasn't just a a vicious terrorist - he was a charismatic leader of his people. Cumberbatch's Khan is a one dimensional terrorist and lacked the alluring charm and veiled threat that Ricardo brought to the role.

The movie was great - until Benedict says "I am KHAN"! WHAT?

After a Scooby Doo moment - the movie lost me and started to make me mad.

They've lost a fan and gained a pissed off chick!
Kate Braid
05-19-2013 11:30 AM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

Robert Ingrao

Robert Ingrao

i agree. cumberBUNK blows in this movie. they should've went with an unknown actor. oh wait they did. and he was the wrong choice. in fact retreading the khan storyline and the original Trek #2 movie was just plain dumb.

Oct 15 - 09:40 AM

James

James W

cumberbatch is a pimp and he killed it.what i disliked is the alternate universe B.S. i had my fill of that from fringe.i just want an original story i thought the acting was great just the story took me out of it.

Oct 2 - 03:12 PM

Rose Chen

Rose Chen

men nike air force 1 high
men nike dunk high
men nike dunk low
men nike football shoes
men nike free 5 shoes
men nike free 6 shoes
men nike king shoes
men nike roshe run shoes
men nike running shoes http://zeahoo.com/

Sep 21 - 11:47 PM

Thomas Shaggy

Thomas Shaggy

Wasn't this an completely new universe? I believe that we were made aware of that when the first one played out. They are drawing parallels to the original, but by no means are they trying to create the same universe. No need to get completely bent out of shape because you didn't get the clit boner you wanted.

Sep 15 - 09:21 AM

RoHiT

Good Looking RoHiT

Idiots everywhere !

Sep 12 - 02:47 AM

Declan Connor

Declan Connor

the idea of this movie was not to make a direct copy of the wrath of khan. but to me this isn't a problem because if a human was to be genetically enhanced no one would abandon him on a windy planet nor would he ware alien like clothes. since in this khan was revived by Marcuse and becoming a part of star fleet their fore he is given star fleet clothing etc.

Sep 9 - 02:09 AM

Pat ChalupaBatman

Pat ChalupaBatman

don't choke to death on cocks this weekend!

Sep 8 - 02:42 AM

Chuck Baker

Chuck Baker

I also think Cumberbatch has a huge future, but as Khan ... He is about as white bread as they come ... Khan Noonien Singh sounds pretty INDIAN to me.
Now, if they had dropped the Khan angle ...

Aug 30 - 09:40 PM

Alex M.

Hipster Elitist Maverick

Oh boo-fucking-hoo.

Aug 21 - 09:47 PM

mwtevebaugh

marshall tevebaugh

Well, at least Lamps Are Us, still letting them use their show room for the bridge shots. Just how many of us, have a 300 watt light shinning on our screen??

Aug 12 - 06:59 PM

John Best

John Best

The casting of Cumberbatch as Khan was truly the most disappointing aspect of the movie for me. As a Trekkie I did not understand how J.J. Abrams doing such exemplary casting on the crew why it was such a miss step on this role. I am not saying anything against the actor as such but if you are going to try to reinvent original roles please do so with the skill that you put into the rest of the cast. I thought the premise was amazing and I appreciated the references to the original but it may be time to let the Enterprise crew have some new story lines to explore where no one has gone before.

Jul 29 - 07:53 PM

Branden M.

Branden Mata

Also btw, the scene where Cumberbatch reveals he's Khan is not only one of the best scene of the movie imo, but one of the best movie scenes of the year so far imho. His acting was insane good in that part. Just great acting throughout the film on his part.

Jul 11 - 05:15 AM

James

James W

i love his acting but i laughed out loud when he reveals that hes khan and i was not the only one in the theater who did.

Oct 2 - 03:18 PM

Branden M.

Branden Mata

Cumberbatch was amazing is all I'm saying. I mean depending on how the rest of the year pans out he actually has a small chance of getting a Best Supporting Actor nomination for the role; that is if he doesnt get nominated for The Fith Estate as Best Actor.

Jul 11 - 05:07 AM

Branden M.

Branden Mata

Cumberbatch was amazing is all I'm saying. I mean depending on how the rest of the year pans out he actually has a small chance of getting a Best Supporting Actor nomination for the role; that is if he doesnt get nominated for The Fith Estate as Best Actor.

Jul 11 - 05:07 AM

Don Hillenbrand

Don Hillenbrand

Khan simply CAN'T BE a British-accented Anglo! His name is Khan, for Christ's sake. He's supposed to have ruled ASIA, not England. It's like Scotty being from Mississippi. It wasn't Cumberbatch's fault ? he was given one-dimensional script and did the best he could with it. POS.

Jul 10 - 12:29 PM

Paul Warden

Paul Warden

This is your hero at his best...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0gk3AXEKUE
This is him just a nat's wing from perfection!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1x_QbVDlLbI

Jul 8 - 10:52 PM

Paul Warden

Paul Warden

Perhaps Geraldo Rivera would have been a better fit for you? I personally think Cumberbatch was amazing as Khan, but I could see why you wanted the guy from Fantasy Island... mad acting skills on that guy.

Jul 8 - 10:42 PM

Ian Woods

Ian Woods

Once again, someone who prefers the hacky acting and stilted movements of the 'good old days' over a truly nuanced performance by Cumberbatch.

We get it, you masturbated to Montalban. Get. Over. It.

Jun 28 - 09:51 PM

Eric Castagnoli

Eric Castagnoli

No one cares that they lost 1 fan ok fuck and also Khan 2013>Khan 1982

Jun 28 - 09:51 AM

Wes Long

Wes Long

Im not a big Star Trek geek but in my opinion Cumberbatch played the role magnificently. The way he portrayed the unpredictable and almost invincible Khan added to the greatness of this movie. I also liked that his reasoning behind wanting to kill the entire human race was sound even though there is no way to justify taking it that far. Khan wanted so desperately to save his people and Cumberbatch showed this desperation very naturally. Even though he had the upper hand, he lost because he was blinded by the goal to get his crew back which ultimately lead to his defeat.

Jun 23 - 05:19 PM

Ojany Molina

Ojany Molina

I have to say, I don't see the big deal with Montalban as Khan, especially in "Wrath of Khan"...to me he was as good as a villain as Nero. His lines were predictable and cheesy and he was smug about the fact he had the upper-hand...he was suppose to feel the opposite as his wife had died and he felt it was Kirk's fault. He should have been enraged and angry not maniacal. It just made his reasoning pointless and unbelievable. I found the opposite with Cumberbatch. His Khan was distraught and sorrowful for losing his "family" and he hid it down to appear powerful, that's what I bought, not the whole "he killed my wife" and "watch out, Khan's coming!"

Jun 23 - 02:21 PM

Alan Weaver

Alan Weaver

You take stuff too seriously... chill

Jun 22 - 11:18 AM

Barrel Scraper

Barrel Scraper

I became interested in Star Trek when I was 7, and when I saw this I didn't give a shit about Benedict as Khan. I think he performed well.

Jun 22 - 05:57 AM

Robin Raveneau

Robin Raveneau

Are you kidding me! This dude was AWESOME! Cumberbatch's performance was convincing and intense. Loved this movie, especially Cumbebatch's performance.

Jun 15 - 11:19 PM

Mantequilla

Ethan Blum

No, the threat of Khan in this movie was not veiled. However, do not forget that there was nothing introducing the Benedict Cumberbatch version of Khan until the movie. Prior to the Wrath of Khan, Khan Noonien Singh was feature in an episode of the series. Besides, I found this Khan to be a bit more thought provoking than the previous one. I did not find him one dimensional at all. Nero was one dimensional. Besides, I don't think Cumberbatch was the prime choice, but I think he was a good alternative. Remember that.

Jun 10 - 05:56 PM

Mahtowin Munro

Mahtowin Munro

The filmmakers intentionally did not cast a middle eastern actor as Khan. They said that they didn't want to assign him a race. Khan is representative of the evil inside everybody.

Jun 5 - 02:20 PM

Kathy O'Brien

Kathy O'Brien

Bull. They asked Bardem and DelToro and several others (check the trivia in IMDB). It was either scheduling or money. Spielberg suggested Cumberbatch to Abrams as the best actor available.

Jun 7 - 05:56 PM

Jaspreet Lidder

Jaspreet Lidder

Khan is not a middle eastern character. He's Indian.

Jun 8 - 08:52 PM

Don Hillenbrand

Don Hillenbrand

What a crock. They DID assign him a race? a white, sophisticated British character who can't remotely represent "everyman". Khan is asian, period. The reboot didn't change history going back 200+ years.

Jul 10 - 12:34 PM

Ian Woods

Ian Woods

The original Khan is a cheeseball.

Cumberbatch can do this thing called acting. It, you know, lets him command the screen instead of looking like a clown in a gay cowboy costume.

Jun 4 - 07:40 AM

EntertainMeOrDie

Liam Neeson Trollfighter

LOL

Jun 4 - 10:08 AM

Liz Reeder

Liz Reeder

THIS.

Jun 22 - 06:16 PM

Branden M.

Branden Mata

This is correct and 100% true.

Jul 11 - 05:10 AM

Vanja Nedeljkovic

Vanja Nedeljkovic

You made my day.

Aug 21 - 02:17 PM

James

James W

so true CB did not ruin khan for me khan ruined CB

Oct 2 - 03:20 PM

Csh Threenorns

Csh Threenorns

question: where did all this "khan is a sikh" business come from?

from the star trek wiki: "Khan Noonien Singh (or simply, Khan), was the most prominent of the genetically-engineered Human augments of the late-20th century Eugenics Wars period on Earth, considered even over three centuries later to have been "the best" of them. "

and it further says: "Records of the period, including Khan's origins, are vague. He was the product of a selective-breeding and genetic engineering program, based on the eugenic philosophy that held improving the capabilities of a man improved the entire Human race. Augments produced by the program possessed physical strength and analytical capabilities considerably superior to ordinary Humans, and were created from a variety of Earth's ethnic groups. Khan's background was suspected to be Sikh, from the northern region of India."

*suspected* - but if he was genetically engineered, then logically speaking, he cannot have been sikh (y'all do know that sikhism is a religion, not a race, right? saying he's from "sikh DNA" is exactly the same as saying he's got "catholic" or "pastafarian" DNA).

since he was genetically engineered, then it only makes sense that in a second iteration, the expression of those genetics - the phenetics - would be different, much the same way as Rainbow the cat's clone, CC ("carbon copy"), looks nothing like her.

as for the name, Khan Noonien Singh, "khan" means "king" and that's what he was. it makes sense he would choose a moniker that would be palatable to his subjects - if he'd been ruler over israel, he'd've been smarter to choose Benjamin as a name and not Adolf!

Jun 2 - 10:11 PM

Aviel Menter

Aviel Menter

Sikhs are also of an ethnicity.

Jun 3 - 05:44 PM

Mario ?osi?

Mario ?osi?

Like ST 2009, this isn't really ST of the old, so don't mope around. I went with friends and enjoyed this one in theater, although I never really liked 3D.

Khan...I didn't think he would be in the movie, because I religiously avoided following any rumours about it. I wanted the movie to surprise me. Khan as a white guy was definitively surprise, believe me. But I went along, since there was nothing I could do. I kinda explained to myself like this - So, Marcus used him to build muscled Enterprise type vessel for war. To hide what he did, he gave Khan a complete skin makeover turning him into a white person, not a Sikh descended. Gotta remember, Khan was a genetically engineered human built from various genetic sources to get the best qualities available and so he really isn't a Sikh. In the books about him, he said so himself. He wasn't human as we are and so he wasn't Sikh either. That's why he didn't have beard like all Sikh men do.
I just wished they used such a plot device in the movie, so people would go along with the race change easier. What would have cost them to add a couple of sentences where Khan complains how Marcus robbed him even of his true appearance?

Jun 2 - 09:40 AM

Ruben Schuit

Ruben Schuit

He was really, really good.

Jun 2 - 06:22 AM

Ruben Schuit

Ruben Schuit

Cumberbatch is the best thing that could've happened to the Star Trek series. I'm really happy they chose him to play Khan!

Jun 2 - 06:21 AM

kasaar

Kareem Gray

Honestly, I don't think Cumberbatch was really Khan. I would HOPE J.J. and crew were savvy enough to give us the ultimate misdirection. My gut tells me that this "Khan" Was really Joachim, his right hand man from STII WOK. This misdirection would send fanboys into a frenzy and give J.J. his ultimate vindication. Joachim is Vader to Khan's emperor. When Khan REALLY shows up, that is when the fun begins. Why do I say all of these crazy things? Cumberbatch and the original actor, Judson Earney Scott look quite alike. Into Darkness? The film ended pretty upbeat to me. Finally, that final shot of "Khan" in the tube. I know my theory seems far fetched, but if it WAS true.. J.J. would be a god among geeks.

Jun 1 - 02:04 PM

EntertainMeOrDie

Liam Neeson Trollfighter

why wasn't he Khan? Because he doesn't wear a stupid vest and have cheesy dialogue?

Jun 2 - 08:21 PM

Kareem Gray

Kareem Gray

My point is I would guess that it wasn't Khan. Kinda of like the revelation that Vader was Luke's father. Hey, I'm probably wrong, but it would be awesome if I was right.

Jun 3 - 04:58 PM

EntertainMeOrDie

Liam Neeson Trollfighter

I wouldn't have guessed at first glance that Chris Pine was Kirk either; or that Zoe Salanda was Uhura. Why can't Benedict be Khan? But, to each their own interpretation.

Jun 4 - 10:07 AM

Sandra Schifferle

Sandra Schifferle

I agree with you about Khan. Javier Bardem would have been a great choice, but Cumberbatch??? They tried to make the crew similar to the original crew (Chekhov not so much), so why not Khan? The movie as a whole was not that great.

May 31 - 09:04 AM

EntertainMeOrDie

Liam Neeson Trollfighter

Javier Bardem already played a psycho terrorist, you dummy.

Jun 4 - 10:08 AM

James Wilson

James Wilson

I think they should do us all a favour and lose the 'pissed off chick' as well.

May 30 - 10:41 PM

EntertainMeOrDie

Liam Neeson Trollfighter

Racist.

May 29 - 01:17 PM

Mike Myres

Mike Myres

Hey Kate, do a little research and realize 'why' BC is Khan.

May 24 - 10:09 PM

Colleen Hillerup

Colleen Hillerup

He said, "My name is Khan." Didn't look like Shahrukh to me.

May 24 - 05:12 PM

Vince Almaraz

Vince Almaraz

A pasty white guy with the name Khan Noonian Singh??? LOL!!! Cumberbatch is a great actor, but come one. Movie producers are total idiots!!!

May 24 - 10:26 AM

Jb Yong

Jb Yong

Did you know that Spaniards in Spain are pasty white European looking people?

May 24 - 04:50 PM

Jb Yong

Jb Yong

think Russell Crowe as the spaniard in Gladiator.

May 24 - 05:28 PM

Mike Myres

Mike Myres

Very true. That's why some mexicans are white and not brown. Spaniard blood.

May 24 - 10:06 PM

Dan Short

Dan Short

Not that it matters, because Cumberbatch is awesome, but Benicio Del Toro was first sought out for the role... and he declined it.

May 23 - 09:30 PM

President Pedro

President Pedro

I saw this with six diehard Star Trek fans, and they loved Cumerbatch as Khan, so in the slap to the face category, you're most likely a minority. Also, what's wrong with a new Khan being a new take, the entire Abrams series has put made the characters different and it has worked very well. Dang Kate, get your shit together.

May 23 - 04:51 PM

Christian Anderson

Christian Anderson

At the time of its release, Star Trek was known for its role in advancing the cause of racial and ethnic diversity. It is ironic that the main villain is the object of racial discrimination. BC does a great job and fills the shoes quite well.

May 23 - 02:20 PM

San Kim

San Kim

maybe he is another Khan, maybe Conrad Smith, Con for short.

May 23 - 12:44 PM

David G.

David Gee

CONNNNNNNNNN!

May 28 - 12:42 PM

Marcia Pecor

Marcia Pecor

White does not necessarily connote ethnicity. Go to Spain sometime - plenty of dark-haired, blue-eyed 'white' people there.

May 23 - 11:50 AM

Jb Yong

Jb Yong

I was actually shocked to find people from Spain look much different than Spanish people in America. I realized american Hispanics are mix of native Americans, blacks and Spanish whites.

May 23 - 12:44 PM

Mike Myres

Mike Myres

It's called US History there JB Young. You learn that as a little kid. Well, at least here we do. :)

May 24 - 10:07 PM

paizlea

Cathy Reade

STID is a travesty of the Trek legacy, but not because of this casting choice. Having a pale, blue-eyed actor play a character named Khan Noonien Singh is an odd artistic decision, true. But considering all the other problems this film has, it's not worth bothering about. Plus, Cumberbatch knocks it out of the park as the genocidal genius with a superiority complex. Too bad the character was so poorly developed by the writers.

May 23 - 10:38 AM

Jb Yong

Jb Yong

Stop being so racist. Race is changed all time in movies. Nick fury is Samuel Jackson in iron man. U should enjoy acting and not look at color of his skin. I totally enjoyed menace and even his sorrow of BC when he said he would do anything for his family. Great acting and cool twist.

May 23 - 07:48 AM

Mike Myres

Mike Myres

And Kingpin in Daredevil was black as well. The late Michael Clark Duncan.

May 24 - 10:08 PM

Lethe Erisdottir

Lethe Erisdottir

Well, we're here in an alternate reality, so Pike dies, we already know about tribbles (so there will be no trouble with them later), Kirk has blue eyes, Spock is emoting all over the place, and apparently even physics is different. So I guess that kind of puts Khan being an anglo into proportion.

May 22 - 11:10 PM

Kenny Bierschenk

Kenny Bierschenk

What bothers people is that the differences in Spock, Kirk, Uhura, etc were all brought about by changes in the timeline, which got screwed up by the bad guy in the previous movie. However, since Khan dates from 200 years ago (in the 1990's), he has not had his timeline interrupted, he really should be the same guy as from ST TOS. In other words, someone who starts out charming people but ends up being pure evil. Too bad they made him Khan, if he had merely been one of Kahn's contemporaries it would have been fine, because he was a truly badass villain -- they just didn't pick an actor who would please the Star Trek nerds!

And, P.S. -- Spock better break up with Uhura soon, it's annoying ALL of us, Trekkies or not!

Jun 25 - 05:15 PM

Brendan Sullivan

Brendan Sullivan

He did a great job and stop being such a nerd.

May 22 - 10:59 PM

Matt Rabine

Matt Rabine

I think BC did a wonderful job; however, it would have been more compelling if he were one of the 72 augmented humans, who, in the end, was protecting Khan along with the others. Maybe at the end of the film, the camera would focus in on the casket with Khan in it, revealing the actor who is playing Khan. This way, BC's character is a new character, one that can stand on its own.

May 22 - 08:34 PM

Sandra Schifferle

Sandra Schifferle

Agreed. Wish you had written the script. They could have left out the relationship between Spock & Uhura, too.

May 31 - 09:09 AM

Christian Beranek

Christian Beranek

That would have been SWEET all around.

May 31 - 01:32 PM

Artraccoon Madison

Artraccoon Madison

Basic physics went out the window in this film too. Gotta love that cold fusion action in the volcano and gravitational pull at 50,000 miles.

May 22 - 05:34 PM

Eric Pyle

Eric Pyle

haven't seen it yet. I am just disappointed that, after going through the Abrams first outing, and the characters even declaring the timeline change, Abrams and company couldn't come up with a new protagonist....

May 22 - 04:00 PM

Blondie

No Name

Khan's white. That automatically means he's a bad Khan, apparently. Just get out before you embarrass yourself more than you already have.

May 22 - 02:36 PM

Lethe Erisdottir

Lethe Erisdottir

Um, the IP has a point. I'm guessing you've never seen the original episode, or the second movie. Khan is NOT an anglo. He just isn't. It would be like seeing Uhura on deck, and it's Keira Knightley. But since there really doesn't appear to be ANY canon in this franchise, what the heck, why not.

May 22 - 10:32 PM

Blondie

No Name

It's an alternate universe. Not everything has to be the exact same. I'm not saying Cumberbatch was better than the original, I'm just saying that it's kind of a stupid argument.

May 23 - 05:21 AM

San Kim

San Kim

yes it is alternate but starting when Nero blew up the Kelvin not 300 years ago

May 23 - 12:49 PM

Troy McGraw

Troy McGraw

I'm a huge fan of the Star Trek series and I thought Cumberbatch was great as Kahn.

May 22 - 01:32 PM

Dianne Hunt

Dianne Hunt

Perhaps not that big if you can't even spell Khan. Khaaaaaaaaaaan! :P lol

May 22 - 09:15 PM

Lethe Erisdottir

Lethe Erisdottir

Actually, it makes more sense the way he spelled it.

May 22 - 10:32 PM

The Master of Movies

The Master of Movies

You just shut up!!! No one cares!!!

May 21 - 11:22 PM

Scott Rosenberg

Scott Rosenberg

Your casting just on Ethnicity ...shame... so anti trek.. In that universe/reality perhaps kahn took the name of his mentor; hmm white Brits in India... so maybe he is mixed race; there any other fires? BC did a great job as an actor. We didnt need another mexican to emulate Ricardo Montalban scenery chewing we needed the best actor. If you dont like that he is Kahn just ignore that line and call him Harrison. Wasnt such a big deal. Whatever JJ does or did does not take away from whatever trek you like. btw every trek movie and series allegedly ruined the previous...just sayin; I for one am glad they brought it back and gave it a budget

May 21 - 07:14 PM

Paul Rodarte

Paul Rodarte

1. I'm surprised that you all haven't realized what Hollywood does to movies. It's about money, pure and simple. If you want a story line that closely resembles that to which you are looking for, then write it.
2. There is a huge amount of time that is not seen in which Khan is being used by Admiral Marcus. Believing that there is any sense of charisma after coming to the realization that all of your people have been killed drove him to do what he did. I think people also don't realize how passionate he was. Given the opportunity to kill Admiral Marcus, he crushed his skull with his bare hands. How did he try to kill Kirk? By beaming him back to his ship before he blew it up.
3. Cumberbatch did a great job consider the role he was playing, and the fact that there would be a contingent of trekkies who would despise this character regardless of who played him. Is it odd, that he is very white and very british...yes, but outside of that, he played it brilliantly as was written for him.
4. Sometimes you just have to grow up and enjoy an adaptation for what it is; someone else giving their shot to a legendary series. I know a lot of you are upset that the 2009 film changed the history and lore of the enterprise, but it hasn't effected that all of the original movies still exist, and that you can even watch the original series on Netflix. Pretty sweet, if you ask me!

May 21 - 05:35 PM

Jay Schleifer

Jay Schleifer

Alternate reality rationalization or not, as an original Trekker, I don't like these moviemakers violating every connection with the original series and follow-on movies. There was no need to resurrect Khan. They could have done an original story with their $190 million budget. If the idea was to connect with veteran Trekkers, they should have left well enough alone. STID is a credible product, with great effects and a few good lines, spoiled by the lack of honor paid to the original characterizations. Spock crying, kissing and fist fighting when we wasn't jumping from one craft to another. I don't think so.

May 21 - 02:36 PM

Caitlin Rix

Caitlin Rix

To be fair, they did offer the part to Benicio del Toro, Demián Bichir, Édgar Ramírez and Jordi Mollà - ALL Hispanic/ Latino actors - before going for Cumberbatch. You can't say they didn't at least try.

May 21 - 01:22 PM

Andrew Targaryen

Andrew Targaryen

And Cumberbatch didn't get signed on until a week or two before filming!

May 21 - 02:48 PM

Lethe Erisdottir

Lethe Erisdottir

Which brings us to the question, why were they offering the role of a Sikh to Latin actors?

May 22 - 10:40 PM

Kaitlin Elizabeth

Kaitlin Elizabeth

B/c the original Khan was a latino.

Jun 4 - 06:44 PM

Annie Towne

Annie Towne

Why not Naveen Andrews? He is Anglo-Indian. And a good actor. That said, I love Cumberbatch.

May 31 - 01:03 AM

Khrev Kingsley

Khrev Kingsley

One of the problems with this incarnation of Kahn is that we never see him with his crew. Perhaps some flashbacks to him leading his people would have helped to establish the "charismatic leader" side of his character. The original "Wrath of Kahn" film did a far better job of building his character and creating tension between him and Capt. Kirk, for sure. Also, Kahn is supposed to be a Sikh, so it did strike me as odd that they changed his entire racial profile, but to a great degree this is an alternate reality that is going to play very fast and loose with the rules, as was established over and over again in the first film of the series.

May 20 - 01:26 PM

Katherine Harley-White

Katherine Harley-White

It pissed me off too, Kate! There was no real passion in the new character of Khan! If this is an alternate reality, then they should have left his name as John Harrison! How about some new material Hollywood folks?!

May 20 - 01:13 PM

Ash Gilmore

Ash J. Gilmore

There was TONS of passion in the new incarnation of Khan. Did I watch a different Star Trek Into Darkness than you did?

May 21 - 09:11 PM

Marcia Pecor

Marcia Pecor

Face it. Some people are just determined to not give the new series a chance. They're doing a great job, and though I love Shatner, Nimoy, Kelley et al, I wholeheartedly approve of the new actors. Paramount has to make money to continue the ST legacy. It certainly wasn't with the NG and other spinoffs. JJ has a hit here, and I'm totally on board!!

May 23 - 11:56 AM

Amy Miller

Amy Miller

***SPOILER***

It's an alternate reality of Star Trek, true, but that alternate reality supposedly started when the ship James T. Kirk's parents were on was blown up by the bad guy at the beginning of ST 2009. That should not have changed anything about Khan Noonien Singh up until he was awakened from cryosleep. That doesn't explain him being white or totally lacking in any charisma. There was absolutely nothing about that character except violence. Great movie, lousy Khan.

May 20 - 07:35 AM

Matt Rabine

Matt Rabine

Maybe the cryosleep chamber gave him Michael Jackson, "I Used to Have Darker Skin, Now I Magically Don't" disease? :)

May 20 - 07:52 AM

Khrev Kingsley

Khrev Kingsley

There were so many plot holes, impossible coincidences and just outright ridiculousness in the first film, I would have thought audiences would have expected more of the same in this sequel.

May 20 - 01:29 PM

Patrick Bailey

Patrick Bailey

I think that it has to be a full on "Mirror, Mirror" type alternate reality, all of the things that changed when Spock came back in time cannot be explained. Even really basic things that if you want to be a stickler mean it can't possibly be just a different time frame such as Kirk's eyes going from brown to blue. Also, Trek classically has tried to be very good about it's science fiction being stuff that is outside our knowledge of physics and such. The fact that Spock and Nero went through a "black hole" makes no sense as it's an established fact that a black hole is just a spot of super condensed matter. Star Trek usually doesn't screw something like that up, so to me using "red matter" to make a rift that sucked ships in and sent them to another time could very easily have sent them to another dimension as well. It explains a hell of a lot of things better that just "a different timeline."

May 22 - 08:43 AM

Kenny Bierschenk

Kenny Bierschenk

you're right about the timeline shift having no effect on Kahn (or it shouldn't have). However, everybody on this whole page should just get over it and enjoy the movie--it's pretty good!

Jun 25 - 05:22 PM

Ash Gilmore

Ash J. Gilmore

You are an idiot This is an alternate reality and Cumberbatch KILLED it as Khan. They couldn't have found a better one. This is the BEST Star Trek to date in my opinion.

May 19 - 01:59 PM

The Master of Movies

The Master of Movies

I agree

May 21 - 11:23 PM

Jeffrey Gordon

Jeffrey Gordon

To all who havent seen it, you mean cumberbatch KILLED Kirk as khan? Oops spoiler alert.

May 22 - 12:20 PM

John Tyler

John Tyler

It's an ALTERNATE REALITY of Star Trek. They stated it in the PREVIOUS film.

May 19 - 01:31 PM

Matt Rabine

Matt Rabine

I've read a lot (and not just on this website) about Khan and race. I know the character is supposed to be southern Asian (i.e. Indian) and RM was Latino; however, Latino/ Hispanic is an ethnicity, not a race. One CAN be white and be Latino, as one can be indigenous, and/or black and be a Latino, too. Just watch Mexican soap operas. They are full of European- descended actors who are Latino/ Hispanic. How do I know this information? I was married to a "white" Latino, whose family was descended from Spanish, French, Irish and indigenous roots. And yes, she was from Mexico.

May 19 - 12:49 PM

Khrev Kingsley

Khrev Kingsley

The fact that Kahn was a Sikh was a pretty vital element to his character in the original series and the film. Montalban's race and ethnicity really has absolutely no bearing on the character at all, he was dark enough looking to carry off playing a Sikh, whereas Cumberpatch is not. It would have played much better to the Trek fans if they had not changed Kahn in to a Brit, but instead cast someone who could carry off playing a Sikh, like Bardim, as the initial poster suggested. However, sometimes when casting a film, you have limited choices as to who is available, who is willing to accept the role, etc. It might have been a choice that JJ just had to make, but may not have been entirely pleased with. At the very least, Cumberpatch is a very capable actor and did a fine job with the role.

May 20 - 01:35 PM

Matt Rabine

Matt Rabine

I believe most people assumed that since Khan is supposed to be a Sikh, he was/is a person of darker skin. Most, if not the vast majority of Sikh are Indian. However, I know this is a stretch, but with India being one of the oldest empires/civilizations on the planet, the "gene pool" is diverse, to state the least. If the average citizen of India were to take a DNA sample and have their heritage on both parent's sides traced, they might be shocked to see Euro (North and South), African, and northern Asian traces in their ancestry. Hell, I took a heritage DNA test a couple years ago and along with European DNA, I have a chunk of Asian, Native American, and African in me- I only say this because I have about as white of skin as one can get... One's skin color is a VERY low indicator of one's ancestry. :)

May 21 - 10:58 AM

Killer Jay

Jay Catler

Wow, so you hate Cumberbatch's role because he isn't attractive enough? Or is it cause he's white?

May 19 - 12:42 PM

Michael Capobianco

Michael Capobianco

Wrap your head around the fact that Star Trek Cannon and the TIMELINE was changed "Forever" in the first movie and just go with it. Appreciate the fact that they pay homage to all that came before....

May 19 - 12:35 PM

Scott Rosenberg

Scott Rosenberg

Bravo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02LgdXVkXgM

May 21 - 07:16 PM

Marcia Pecor

Marcia Pecor

Precisely!

May 23 - 11:58 AM

Kenny Bierschenk

Kenny Bierschenk

First of all, the timeline was screwed up on the day of Kirk's birth......Kahn came 200 years earlier so his timeline wouldn't have been affected. And, it's a Canon, which means an unshakeable premise.........not a Cannon, which is used by armies to blow things up, which they apparently did with your dictionary

Jun 25 - 05:26 PM

Blondie

No Name

Good thing I had this spoiled for me before I saw this. Good job at spoiling it for everyone who hasn't saw it though.

May 19 - 12:30 PM

Eldest2005

Christopher Aull

Have to disagree. He wasn't quite as memorable as Ricardo's Khan, but Benedict Cumberbatch gave an excellent performance, regardless of his character's identity. Just saying you didn't like him because they copied him from another movie is rather close-minded, a point of view that I'm not very fond of when it comes to movies.

May 19 - 12:30 PM

Janine Starink

Janine Starink

Have to disagreed Kate, I thought Cumberbatch did a great job, different but great, just as Ricardo did. But this is a brave new world and it is time to let the franchise not stagnate and allow them the creative freedom to go boldy where this series has not gone before. This is not the time to let history repeat itself. So Kate, listen to the opening words... to seek out new life.... do not dwell in the past, look to this series bold new future and lets hope it lasts a lot longer than 5 years.

May 19 - 12:21 PM

Mike Myres

Mike Myres

It will. If JJ keeps this pace up, he will have at least 3 more Star Trek movies and I am sure he will have 3 or more Star Wars movies as well.

May 19 - 12:27 PM

Chris Dias

Chris Dias

If you actually paid attention to the ST:OS episode "Space Seed", Khan Noonien Singh was not Hispanic but Asian-Indian (Sikh). Ricardo Montalbán is just a great actor. Space Seed proved he can play a character of another race. Surprised you don't have an issue w/ Uhura being played by a Hispanic (Zoe Sandala). As for Khan the character, he was indeed charismatic but still a tyrant and viscous in his methods (putting baby ceti eels in ears ring a bell?). What he desired most was to conquer.

May 19 - 12:20 PM

Mike Myres

Mike Myres

Zoë Yadira Saldaña Nazario. Half Dominican and Half Puerto Rican and all HOT!

May 19 - 12:25 PM

Shaun Weston

Shaun Weston

Cumberbatch is a boss in this film - along with Quinto, he is one of the reasons why I rate it in my top 5 films of the year.

May 19 - 12:12 PM

Khrev Kingsley

Khrev Kingsley

The year isn't even half over yet. :)

May 20 - 01:37 PM

Caitlin Rix

Caitlin Rix

Then it would be "the year so far". Nitpicker.

May 21 - 01:24 PM

Mike Myres

Mike Myres

He was a good bad guy, yes. But he could have been any bad guy, not Khan. JJ should have left Khan out of this movie and made Benedict a different bad guy. That's my opinion. I still liked the movie and when it comes out on dvd I will buy own it and it will stand next to 2009 and all the other ST dvds.

May 19 - 12:04 PM

Matt Rabine

Matt Rabine

I agree. BC is a good actor who could have created a new character. I have a feeling that adding Khan was ploy to get the hype up for this film. I don't blame Paramont, as they are a business and want to make as much money as possible.

May 19 - 12:10 PM

Khrev Kingsley

Khrev Kingsley

I agree, but I'd have to say it's more about writing something very quickly. Sourcing elements from the original series allows them to go through the script writing process very quickly because they already have the basic framework written. Of course it also allows them to hold on to the original Trekkie fan base easily by throwing in tons of nods to the original material and hence make more money. All pretty lazy, but also effective.

May 20 - 01:39 PM

Katherine Harley-White

Katherine Harley-White

With the "Alternate Reality" they also changed the demise of Admiral Christopher Pike, which I didn't like. If memory serves me correctly in the original series/movie, Pike was changed by Aliens to appear whole and healthy when in fact he only had brain function and no use of his body due to being in a crash.

May 20 - 02:22 PM

Killer Jay

Jay Catler

Slim White Boy? What does race have to do with it?

May 19 - 11:37 AM

Dane M.

Dane Mathis

Apparently, it's very important for her to have a Hispanic man in the role.

May 19 - 11:40 AM

Killer Jay

Jay Catler

Very well, bring me HER HEAD!

May 19 - 11:44 AM

Khrev Kingsley

Khrev Kingsley

Race and physical build was an important element in the original character of Kahn. He was a Sikh and that brought certain alien elements to his character. At the time it was written, the character was foreign, unfamiliar and strange to the audience. His brutality, charisma and leadership were all linked to his bloodline. The character simply is not as imposing as a skinny british noble aristocratic type. Now, if Cumberpatch had played him as a chav and gained some muscle, it might have been more effective.

May 20 - 01:44 PM

Alex M.

Hipster Elitist Maverick

Let's agree to disagree.

May 19 - 11:34 AM

Find us on:                     
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile