Star Trek Into Darkness Reviews

½ July 18, 2015
Rating: 93%
The amazing visuals, intriguing plot, and stunning performance from Benedict Cumberbatch help Star Trek Into Darkness overcome its predecessor in terms of being entertaining.
July 15, 2015
J.J. Abrams excede las expectativas, dando efectos visuales y acción que te tienen en el filo de tu silla mordiendo tus uñas. No me sorprende que esta sea la razón por la cual es director de la nueva franquicia de star wars. recomendada en todos los niveles.
½ September 27, 2011
Hanging on to the freshness of the Alternate Reality saga of the "Star Trek" universe when bringing in some already existing materials and remixed into a fresh twist while defining the role of greatness when going "Into Darkness". That's pretty much the voyage that this new addition of the Enterprise's chronicles went for and resulted to be barely better with more thrills and emphasized, strengthen dynamics from the pleasant return of the cast alongside the other qualities that were appreciative, as well being the source of the somewhat excitement, from the starting voyage. Furthermore, the added cast member Benedict Cumberbatch stands out with his deep performance as his more cinematic breakthrough, which is similar to the returning cast. (A)

(Full review coming soon)
July 7, 2015
To boldly go where we have already gone before!
July 5, 2015
While this movie is spectatular, it is philosophically abhorrent. A planet about to explode with all speices destroyed cannot be interfered with?! Like Africa? Think of the parrallels! Be indifferent, government and People.
July 3, 2015
The movie was so good. I want to watch it again
½ July 2, 2015
There are some good set pieces, but just as you're starting to enjoy it the writing lets it down - feels somewhat under-developed. In truth, despite some good acting in places I never enjoyed this as much as the previous film, and brief flirtations with epic scale just underline an opportunity missed.
August 14, 2011
J.J. Abrams takes Star Trek off its mission to explore something even darker than the outskirts of space... Revenge. It's not as fluent as the first, but it tells its story beautifully
½ May 20, 2013
After an auspicious blastoff in 2009, J.J. Abrams keeps the success of his "Star Trek" reboot burning strong with "Star Trek Into Darkness", a slick summer actioner that takes off at warp speed and rarely lets up.

All the cast members from the original are back in fine form (including Abrams' nettlesome blue lens flares): Chris Pine as Kirk, Zachary Quinto as Spock, Zoe Saldana as Uhura, Simon Pegg as Scotty, Karl Urban as 'Bones' McCoy, John Cho as Sulu, Anton Yelchin as Chekov, and Bruce Greenwood as Cpt. Pike. All of them excelled in 2009's origin story, but with their characters now firmly established, the writing team of Damon Lindelof, Roberto Orci, and Alex Kurtzman devote more time to developing the spiky but loving Kirk-Spock dynamic that is very much the heart of the franchise. Personifying the conflicting philosophies between logic and instinct, these two foils make this one of the more thematically compelling popcorn flicks you're likely to see this summer, at least whenever it takes the time to stop and breathe.

And there's precious little time to stop and breathe on this spaceship ride. Residual adrenaline from the opening action sequence - an exploration-turned-rescue mission on a primitive planet - has barely dissipated when we run into our story's mysterious villain; resentful terrorist John Harrison played by series newcomer Benedict Cumberbatch. The steely-eyed prettyboy with a voice like Jeremy Irons may not have been the intuitive choice to play an intergalactic baddie, but it proves an ingenious casting decision as Cumberbatch commands then screen with his threatening intellectual demeanor and surprising physicality.

After launching devastating attacks against Star Fleet and its upper brass, Harrison earns the ire of Admiral Marcus (Peter Weller), who tasks Kirk with tracking down and killing the murderous fugitive. This is a request the hotheaded Kirk is all too eager to oblige. He and his crew hunt Harrison into hostile Klingon territory, where we eventually learn the true nature of his vendetta against Star Fleet. Turns out he's not the only one who can't be trusted.

Even though the script makes a point of raising ethical questions and moral dilemmas (and bravo for doing so), they don't leave much of an impression against the spectacle on display. By this point, the film is bursting with action at the seams. Abrams flies from set-piece to set-piece at a breakneck pace, often layering multiple crises on top of one another, particularly during a perilous spacewalk and a gravity-defying free fall through Earth's atmosphere.

As smartly written as it is, not all the plot devices work. The third act's gratuitous reverse twist on familiar story elements is probably enough to incur the Wrath of Fans, but causal yet informed followers of "Star Trek" canon can likely shrug it off as an amusing throwback. Hey, even mainstream audiences deserve to enjoy at least a few recognizable references. Mind you, "amusing throwback" is an incongruous vibe to have when aiming for emotional beats that many can see coming, and those moments consequently come off as either unintentionally funny or annoying (depending on how much you revere the original material). This is especially so regarding the way-too-convenient resolution which is foreshadowed so far in advance it's hard to pay much credence to the crisis it resolves.

A blockbuster this enjoyable is ultimately immune to such criticisms, valid though they may be. For all its CG pizazz, "Star Trek Into Darkness" is more character-driven than effects-driven, which is why it has such universal appeal. It may not exactly go where no "Star Trek" has gone before, but it certainly goes there boldly, and therein lies all the fun.

*** out of ****
March 10, 2015
The tonal shifts from playful, to tense, to sentimental are applied with such precision and clearly denote Abrams' competence as a film-maker. All the elements of this film are so skillfully assembled; from the sleek, stunning visuals to the witty script- this movie is an exciting ride.
June 22, 2015
I liked the first one better.
June 20, 2015
Stupid, inconsistent, and implausible from beginning to end. Despite its impressive effects, it's impossible to suspend disbelief in this film without calling bullshit on its unbelievability every five minutes. Full of predictable twists and cliche dialogue, this movie never stops insulting its viewers' intelligence. It's appropriate that the crew's uniforms look like futuristic football jerseys, because this hollow embarrassment of a film feels like it was written by adolescent buffoons in a middle-school locker room.
½ August 26, 2013
Finally saw this one in full length. A fun NEW Star Trek Universe sequel movie. Our characters are built upon. We see that weird Uhura relationship with Spock, and the broskie relationship between Kirk start to get hold. Kudo's to the supporting cast and their jobs, Scotty, Bones, Sulu and cast kept up a great performance. Peter Weller did a good Job too, though was beat red the whole time? Kahn was believable and interesting with some depth. and "Yes" Khan's name was screamed by Spock. The tension is good the action was fine, the Sci-Fy tech and CGI was fun to watch and looked nice. The Klingon's were not so Klingon'ish though? Overall a fun Sci-Fy flick for a new star trek Universe. This really is'nt in the same vein of the Roddenbury Universe but inspired by it.
May 18, 2013
since i was a kid growing up watching all the star trek movies,series i am a massive fan of star trek in general ,i would say i have a pretty good prospective on the lore and all the characters in star trek .i would say this movie really captures the emotions of the main cast like never before .this action pack in depth epic sci-fi film is OUTSTANDING in every way .if you like sci-fi or movies with exquisite character harmony ,put simply if you like movies you would vary much enjoy this
½ June 16, 2013
When news came out for a Star Trek sequel, I was really happy. The 2009 reboot was not bad nor great, but I did enjoy it overall. it had some good ideas and some that needed rethinking. I was curious to see if they fixed any negative bits and give us a fun sequel. I was SO disappointed at what they did to this movie. And it seems I'm one of the very few who didn't like it.

The visual effects and fight scenes are ok. I do enjoy the modern look to this reboot and the fresh new look to aliens we were familiar with since TOS. There are two main negative points that made me disapprove of this movie rather than enjoy it. Khan and using old material instead of new.

Nothing against Cumberbatch. He's a good actor, but I don't think British man with a name like Khan. I'm not going into the racist argument about Khan being white than middle eastern/indian/asian because a lot of fans discussed such topic to where it's heavily saturated and pointless now. I think there could have been a better casting choice for Khan.

The final point that ruined the movie for me is the use of old material. In the 2009 reboot, you erased everything and started a clean slate. The crew has a chance to give us something new and fresh with Kirk and crew, but instead try to please the old trek fans with old material from TOS episodes. I wanted to see something new, but I ended up getting someone's fan fiction from the internet and given a multi-million dollar budget to put into movie form.

I do enjoy the new Kirk and crew and see lots of potential in this group, but I just hope the third movie will give us something new or I've lost hope of this franchise going anywhere but down into the deepest depths of hell. I will still remain a dedicated Trekkie (I survived watching Enterprise. lol), but I won't be seeing any more movies for a while.
December 1, 2012
While this series has been treading on more and more familiar territory, there's no denying that it's still a fun and enjoyable time.
May 26, 2013
Just as enjoyable as the first, Star Trek Into Darkness proves to be a fantastic sci-fi with a worthy new foe. (A)
January 5, 2013
Solid Sequel for Trekkies ^_^
May 21, 2015
Surprisingly, this is the best Star Trek film that we have ever gotten. This movie offers fantastic action and absolutely outstanding performances especially from Chris Pine and Benedict Cumberbatch.
June 4, 2015
Ok first of all, the IMAX version of this one is remarkable. Thus to the film, I find it unusual from it's predecessor. Though all the fun action and humorous dialogue. The plot seems weaker than the first one. But execution wise it is that impressive. Seriously I can say that I am now a J.J Abrams fan starting from the first Star Trek film up to this one. Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Simon Pegg, and special mention to Benedict Cumberbatch. These guys right here are so good that you will praise their acting and it is tremendously well performed. If I am to choose which is much better, the sequel or the first one. Simply I would still root on the first film from this one cause maybe its more epic than the sequel. But everything in here is well done and kudos to Abrams. Amazing acting, superb visuals and mind blowing sci fi action will pump you up from the edge of your sits. 4 out of 5 stars.