Trekking With Tim, Day Four: Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home

Editor Tim Ryan has a whale of a time with this wacky message movie.

Day Four: Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home is the goofiest Trek film I've seen so far. It's also the most overtly political. However, by embracing the camp elements that lurk in the margins of Trek (and without succumbing to self-parody), The Voyage Home manages to be warmly entertaining -- funny even -- but with enough good humor to keep the message from being overbearing.

Science fiction has long been a bastion for political observation and satire, and Star Trek was always a platform for commentary. Even if the white guy (and the Vulcan) did the bulk of the heavy dramatic lifting, the fact that the show featured an interracial cast that operated on an equal playing field was pretty forward-thinking for 1960s television (in the immortal words of Futurama's Philip J. Fry, "It taught me so much. Like, how you should accept people, whether they be black, white, Klingon, or even female"). And Gene Roddenberry knew he could get away with subtle observations on subjects like the Civil Rights movement and the Vietnam War -- topics that got the Smothers Brothers in hot water -- because his show was set in outer space. Of course, the times change, and so do the issues. In The Voyage Home, the Trek franchise tackles our fragile ecology, which was a big bumper-sticker issue in the mid-1980s and continues to be relevant today.

As the film begins, a giant mass of an alien probe is moving slowly through space, neutralizing the power of everything in its path while sending out a perplexing communication signal. At first, the mass simply turns off the lights, but soon, it's kicking up violent weather patterns and draining the oceans. But what does it want?

The crew of the Enterprise (who, incidentally, are still aboard Kruge's Klingon Bird of Prey, having not yet returned to earth) intercepts the message as well, and Spock has a pretty good idea what it sounds like: the eerie songs of humpback whales. It appears the strange craft is attempting to communicate with its baleen friends; trouble is, they've been extinct for several hundred years. Realizing the only chance to save humanity is to bring back one of the ancient beasts, the crew flies around the sun and time-travels back to 1986.

Once our heroes find themselves in 1980s San Francisco, they experience some of the wackiest time-travel misunderstandings this side of Napoleon at the water park in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure. Much of the humor is derived from the crew's fundamental belief that their new environs are primitive and unsophisticated ("It's a miracle these people ever got out of the 23rd century," Bones grumbles derisively). But they have plenty of learning to do; for example, when Uhura and Chekov are tasked with finding a nuclear power source to recharge their flailing craft, they proceed to hysterically ask virtually every passerby where they can find the nuclear vessels (or "wessels," in Chekov's case). And Kirk, alarmed that the bus requires exact change, realizes he needs capital, so he sells his pair of antique spectacles for $100. "Is that a lot?" he asks bewilderedly. At the same time, Bones, Scotty, and Sulu must create a containment unit in order to bring the whales back to earth, and after bluffing their way into a local manufacturer, they're able to create a tank using transparent aluminum. (Their engineering feat is no less exceptional given that Scotty finds the company's Macs lacking ("Keyboard. How quaint!").

The movie really gets humming when Spock and Kirk find the whales at the fictional Cetacean Institute across the bay in Sausalito. First of all, Spock just looks hilarious; wearing a white robe and a headband to cover his ears, he still maintains an air of absolute seriousness. Kirk doesn't look much less silly in his Starfleet admiral's uniform. Anyway, they join a tour group of the institute led by Dr. Gillian Taylor (Catherine Hicks), where they observe the Cetacean's two prized whales, George and Gracie, and speculate that the pair could be just what they're looking for. Of course, Spock has to go and blow the whole thing by jumping into the tank and mind melding with the whales, which enrages Dr. Taylor and gets Kirk and Spock kicked off the premises. On the subsequent bus ride, Spock applies a neck pinch to a surly, boombox-wielding punk rocker -- take that, primitive 1980s dwellers!

However, she's intrigued enough by these strange men to track them down and learn more about their mission, and an uneasy trust ensues. She's alarmed when Spock seems to know remarkable things about the whales - for example, that Gracie is pregnant -- but Kirk initially tries to play it cool ("He's harmless. Part of the free speech movement at Berkeley in the 1960s. I think he did a little too much LDS.") Kirk and Taylor go out to dinner and talk shop, and there's a priceless moment when Kirk subtly recoils after tasting beer for the first time. However, he soon learns that the whales are about to be released back into the wild, and realizes that he may have to lay his cards on the table with this 20th century-inhabitant in order to save humanity.

It's easy to see how this save-the-whales narrative could devolve into ham-fisted sloganeering (and unfortunately, Hicks' tightly-wound performance is the weakest in the movie; she doesn't fully mix with the loopy proceedings). But time-travel aspect allows the film to make some loopy social observations, and the cast is looser than in previous installments; each member gets a chance to riff on his or her character traits to a greater degree, which in this series is always a good thing. And it is important to reflect on what is lost when species become extinct; obviously, future generations bear the brunt of contemporary error, and can see the past through a clearer lens.

Anyway, Uhura and Chekov somehow manage to get to Alameda in the East Bay, where the nuclear wessel (that never gets old) is docked. They manage to get enough energy for the ship, but while Uhura escapes, Chekov is captured. After being awkwardly interrogated, he flees the ship's authorities, only to plunge off the side of the ship and sustain critical injuries. Kirk, Bones, and Taylor devise a plan to spring him from the hospital, which gives Bones the opportunity to observe -- and be appalled by -- 20th century medicine ("Put away your butcher knives and let me save the patient!" he yells at Chekov's doctors). After a madcap, Three Stooges-esque escape from the hospital, the crew discovers the whales have been released early. After Taylor convinces them to bring her along, the ship heads north, where the humpbacks are immediately targeted by whalers (this struck me as contrived). Naturally, the crew is able to beam George and Gracie up, head back to the future (with no help from Kruge -- sorry, bad joke), and get the whales and the alien probe talking. Humanity is saved! The crew of the Enterprise has to answer for its illegal run to the Genesis planet, but thankfully, Starfleet is in a forgiving mood, given that they saved the planet and all.

The Voyage Home was my first direct contact with the Trek franchise. I saw it in the theater when I was nine, but remembered almost none of it, aside from the whales and the fact that I found Spock's brief bout with swearing amusing. Twenty three years later, I understand why I was so confused (aside from the fact that I was nine, of course): The Voyage Home, while certainly more of a self-contained picture than The Search for Spock, is funnier and more deeply felt if you have some familiarity with the characters. This is the best showcase yet for the peripheral players; Chekov, Sulu, and Uhura carry more of the weight in The Voyage Home than they had in previous films. And its moments of visual invention (the giant mass is properly foreboding, and the sight of the whales secured inside the ship is strangely soothing and filled with wonder) make this the most purely enjoyable Trek movie so far.

Tomorrow, I tackle the alleged Hindenburg of the Trek franchise: Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (I've been told that I'll need to pound some Raktajinos to make it to the end. I have no idea what that means). Is it as bad as the fanboys and girls say?

Stardates:

Comments

niall1

Niall Cavanagh

this one is the SECOND BEST..right after first contact..

lollll tim, have fun with the next one because its not only the worst star trek movie out of the series, but its one of the worst films i think ive ever seen..so have fun man, good luck with it..

Apr 28 - 04:53 PM

FinalDestination019

Olivia Prongrer

I love this one. And you're right, "wessels" really never gets old!

I thought the funniest parts were: when Chekov is being interrogated. When the guy asks for his name, Chekov asks something like, "My name?" and the guy sarcastically replies, "No, my name", then Chekov says, "I do not know your name".

Also the whole thing about Spock learning when to use profanity. I thought that was pretty funny. Anyways, a great entry to the series, too bad the next one sucks the big one. Yes Tim, Star Trek V is as bad as everyone says, unfortunately. Oh well, I look forward to reading your review!

Apr 28 - 05:06 PM

Accursed A.

AccursedArachnid !

Star Trek IV is something of an enigma. The tone is wholly different for the rest of the series and yet it's a direct sequel to Star Trek III. And while I enjoy the humor, the silliness does get to be a bit too much at times. The plot and "fish out of water" storyline does make up for it though. It's also the only Star Trek movie that doesn't feel timeless due to the 80's being so prominent.

I've commented on the music on each of the first three, so I will here as well. As I said above, this Star Trek has a completely different tone than the rest of the series and the music matches that change in tone. Leonard Rosenman, doing the best with what he had, I'd imagine, delivers the weakest of all 10 scores. It's riddled with goofy themes and 80's signatures.

Overall I feel The Voyage Home is a very good entry into the canon, but it's dated feel and focus on humor over action holds it back from the top of the pack. 8/10

Apr 28 - 05:07 PM

Defshep

Vance Shepherd

Thanks for the look back. Unlike most, I never held ST4 in high regard. Maybe because of the goofiness of the "fish out of water" (sorry) concept. But, it may be time to revisit this particular Trek. I recall at least one episode in the original series, when the Enterprise crew visited Earth, (involving gangsters?) that I enjoyed quite a bit as a kid.

Oh, and sorry you gotta watch the next one. Row, row, row your boat....

Apr 28 - 05:14 PM

Zaraki

Rick V

This one was a pretty decent Trek film, pretty much agree with what you said.

I must be the only person to think Star Trek V wasn't all that bad though...

Been many years, going to have to watch it again to see if it's as bad as they say.

Apr 28 - 05:23 PM

ck100

Chris Kubat

I like how you mentioned when Kirk recoils from tasting beer the first time. People don't often mention this subtle joke.

I also like the following dialogue:

Kirk - "Double dumb-*** on you!"

Kirk - "If we play our cards right, we may be able to find out where those whales are being released.
Spock - "How will playing cards help?"

Gillian - "You sure you won't change your mind?"
Spock - "Is there something wrong with the one I have?"

I will say that I don't think Star Trek V is as bad as people say it is. Are there bad things about it? Absolutely. Are there some good moments? Here and there, yes. I will be interested to see your take on the "pain" scene with Spock and McCoy tomorrow. You'll know it when you see it.

Apr 28 - 05:26 PM

Jared A.

Jared Abrahamson

This movie was also my first contact with Trek. And after all these years it still puts a smile on my face. Some aspects of it haven't aged all that well, but it's probably my favorite out of the bunch. I think that this one also made the most at the box office out of all ten. People love goofy humor.

A Raktajino, by the way, is one of the drinks served at Quarks bar on Deep Space Nine. If memory serves it was a very heavy syrupy substance favored by the Cardassians (those aliens with spoons on their foreheads). If you can't find any a couple shots of Jager should work just fine...

Apr 28 - 05:30 PM

niall1

Niall Cavanagh

WOOOWWWWWWWWW...its KLINGON COFFEE..way to know your trek there buddy..

Apr 28 - 05:48 PM

reavus4983

Mike Saxton

It's an entertaining movie, but to me it's barely Star Trek. It's just a typical 80s 'fish out of water' type comedy, with some sci fi/Star Trek elements. Actually, this is the most 80s of all these movies, which does make it funny as they poke fun at 80s America, but also the most dated. Worse is the whales plot...whales that pollution killed must save actually Earth? Come on, even Star Trek shouldn't be that overtly preachy. Good comedy, bad sci fi. And like Accursed said, the soundtrack is by far the worst of all the movies. Aside from Motion Picture, I've watched this one by far less than the rest of the series.

Apr 28 - 05:30 PM

Looselycult

Dean Peteet

I always liked this one but for me this one seems to date itself the most out of the rest. Well except the first one. But I guess that's what happens when you do a time travel movie in the 80's. Oh well. But I still like it because it fits nicely in to the story arch from Trek II and III, and then to Trek VI. It's too bad Trek V had to ruin the arch's continuity.

Apr 28 - 05:33 PM

ck100

Chris Kubat

Anyone notice how Chekov gets such a raw deal in these movies? In "The Motion Picture" he gets his hand burned. In "Wrath of Khan" he gets a creature put in his ear. In "The Voyage Home" he gets captured by the government and takes a nasty fall.

Apr 28 - 05:41 PM

niall1

Niall Cavanagh

WOOOWWWWWWWWW...its KLINGON COFFEE..way to know your trek there buddy..

Apr 28 - 05:48 PM

Illyria

Illyria ---

ST: V is not only the worst ST film but one of the worst movies overall in history.

Apr 28 - 05:49 PM

ck100

Chris Kubat

Tim,

Out of curiosity, how are you watching these movies? Are you renting them from the video store and watching at home? Are you borrowing the DVDs from someone?

Apr 28 - 05:52 PM

Tim Ryan

Tim Ryan

I'm renting them from a local video store and/or getting them on Netflix. I've tended to avoid the special features due to time constraints, but I've poked around for background info online, and have consulted my Trekkie peeps (including RT's own Jen Yamato -- holla!) when something happens that I don't understand.

Apr 28 - 06:19 PM

damvbat

damv bat

Good report on this one. Part V is not that bad, it is better than Generations were thay force a weak scrip with even with weaker special fxs

Apr 28 - 05:53 PM

IBelievedInHarveyDent

Jim Huete

The Voyage Home, in my opinion, is pretty crappy. I felt like I was watching some 80s buddy-comedy instead of Star Trek. 5/10

And V is so damn awful. Absolute garbage. 2/10

Apr 28 - 06:08 PM

ck100

Chris Kubat

One part that is always funny is Kirk's reaction to seeing Spock swimming in the tank. The look of shock on his face is priceless.

Apr 28 - 06:14 PM

scifimark

scifi mark

6/10

Like many people stated its more of a comedy. Like three men and a baby. Nimoy directed this one i believe. It really isnt star trek to me. I never rate this one as being star trek since there arent really a lot of elements. My favorite part is McCoy in the hospital with the two doctors in the elevators and being completely disgusted by techniques being used.

Apr 28 - 06:17 PM

Tim Ryan

Tim Ryan

Apr 28 - 06:19 PM

Donkey P.

Donkey Punch

This is for the idiot who thinks he knows Star Trek. Raktajino is Klingon coffee as someone already pointed out. The "heavy syrupy substance favored by the Cardassians" is called Kanar. Shut up Moron.

Apr 28 - 06:34 PM

Jared A.

Jared Abrahamson

Wow buddy, you'd think I murdered a puppy. So I confused one fictional beverage with another, big deal.

Apr 29 - 09:53 PM

inactive user

Jared King

I LOVE THIS MOVIE! Perfect chemistry between the crew, big laughs, it's the third best Star Trek, I love it! Some noobs don't like the humor in it, but they are noobs. 10/10.

One damn minute Admiral.

The hell they aren't your whales!

Apr 28 - 07:04 PM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 350 Comic-Con Costumes!

The Hobbit
The Hobbit

See the final movie's trailer

Weekly Ketchup
Weekly Ketchup

Read the Comic-Con revelations

Photo gallery of great movie spaceships