Yearly Ketchup: The Freshest Stories of 2012

Summary

The Yearly Ketchup continues on from last week's review of the 12 most "Rotten Ideas" with twelve of the year's top stories, most of which were classified under the "Fresh Developments" banner. There's a little bit of everything here, as long as your definition of "everything" is limited mostly to superheroes, Star Trek, Tolkien, and Star Wars. Back to Article

Comments

Josiah Coulter

Josiah Coulter

What a wonderful year in film entertainment. I can't wait for 2013.

Jan 4 - 05:32 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

STAR WARS 7, 8, 9 = we used to discuss these films at the bus stop in 5th Grade at Ithan Elementary School circa 1982. There were ALWAYS supposed to be NINE MOVIES!

DEPP in KOLCHACK:THE NIGHT STALKER Will he be a reporter working in Las Vegas battling a mute vampire? (in The Night Stalker, Janos Skorzeny hadn't a single word of dialog)

Jan 4 - 06:29 PM

Matthew R.

Matthew Reimer

Wreck-It Ralph 2 with Mario!!! That just made my day. Also The Hobbit: There and Back Again, Star Wars sequels and Dreamworks Animations upcoming movies are all exciting news. I'm excited to see what new things are coming up this year!

Jan 4 - 07:45 PM

King Crunk

Totally did not know about the Night Stalker news; sounds awesome, though. I will watch whatever Wright puts his name on.

Kick-Ass 2 and The X-Men news are the only other stories that truly excite me.

I feel like The Hobbit should have probably stayed at two movies after seeing An Unexpected Journey. The new two could totally change my mind on that, but I feel like very little happened in the first chapter of The Hobbit, especially considering it was almost as long as any of the Lord of the Rings films.

Not sure what my personal story of the year would be. Was Only God Forgives announced this past year or late 2011? That would take the cake if it was 2012; Refn is the man, and Gosling seems destined to be his signature leading man.

Jan 4 - 09:01 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

About the Hobbit, actually the Hobbit would be fine at 3 movies, they just don't have to be pushing 3 hours long. 2 hr + 10-15 minutes would have been fine, if edited right.

Jan 5 - 12:10 AM

Typhon

Typhon Q

Sorry, but this is Peter Jackson we're talking about...

Jan 5 - 10:54 AM

King Crunk

That would have also been a fine solution. I just hope that Desolation of Smaug and There and Back Again do not get as self indulgent as the first act of The Hobbit was, and Jackson just lets the adventure that is now in full swing carry the narrative.

Jan 5 - 04:39 PM

Mohd Syafiq Bin Jabaruddin

Mohd Syafiq Bin Jabaruddin

I think there's a big wizard and elves battle against the Necromancer in the second film.

Jan 5 - 11:19 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Jan 5 - 12:10 AM

Typhon

Typhon Q

Sorry, but this is Peter Jackson we're talking about...

Jan 5 - 10:54 AM

Jan 5 - 04:39 PM

Mohd Syafiq Bin Jabaruddin

Mohd Syafiq Bin Jabaruddin

Jan 5 - 11:19 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

How is Tarzan directed by boring ass David Yates anywhere near a fresh development...

Jan 5 - 06:00 AM

Stepping Razor

Stepping Razor

I think its inclusion as a fresh development has almost everything to do with it being a product by Warner Bros., the parent company that owns this website.

Jan 5 - 08:14 AM

Andrew Targaryen

Andrew Targaryen

Because his 4 critically acclaimed Harry Potter movies were huge hits at the box office and got no less than a 78% on this site.

Jan 5 - 08:45 AM

King  S.

King Simba

I'm not sure how much that speaks of his skill as a director. Harry Potter was based on such strong source material that it would have been pretty hard to mess it up (almost as hard as making a great movie out of Twilight). I mean, just look at the careers of previous Harry Potter directors after they left the franchise. The only one who's made anything great so far has been Alfonso Cuaron (interestingly, he's also the only one who didn't attempt to replicate the success of Potter with another potential franchise, instead going for something completely different).

Jan 5 - 09:43 AM

King Crunk

I think Cuaron was always the wild card of the directors who helmed Potter, since he was a filmaker who was known for making fair more for arthouse and hardcore film fans, and not so much in making something that was soley designed to make bank. Azkaban is the most unfaithful to the source material of all the films, but as a film, it is easily the best. Speaking of Cuaron, has there been any word on when we will finally get to see Gravity? I thought it was supposed to be a 2012 release, but have not heard a single word about it since it began filming in 2011.

Jan 5 - 04:36 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

IMDB has it as October 2013.

Jan 5 - 06:16 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

I don't care about the delusional critics on Yate's Potter films. Crunk is spot on when he said Azkaban was hands down the best Potter film - to place any of Yate's films next to POA is ludicrous. Plus they would have been box office hits nomatter how bad they were.

Jan 5 - 11:31 PM

Andrew Kruzel

Andrew Kruzel

Sorry but POA is not hands down the best...it might be the worst since it completely killed the source material and screwed the rest of the franchise up

Jan 8 - 09:24 AM

Stepping Razor

Stepping Razor

Jan 5 - 08:14 AM

Andrew Targaryen

Andrew Targaryen

Jan 5 - 08:45 AM

King  S.

King Simba

Jan 5 - 09:43 AM

Jan 5 - 04:36 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

IMDB has it as October 2013.

Jan 5 - 06:16 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Jan 5 - 11:31 PM

Andrew Kruzel

Andrew Kruzel

Jan 8 - 09:24 AM

King  S.

King Simba

Jan 5 - 09:43 AM

Jan 5 - 04:36 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

IMDB has it as October 2013.

Jan 5 - 06:16 PM

King  S.

King Simba

As of now I think the directing gig will most likely go to Matthew Vaughn. He dropped out of both Kick-Ass 2 and Days of Future Past. Plus, he's proven with Stardust that he can handle a light-hearted adventure flick. I must say that I wasn't sure how to feel when it was first announced that Disney was going to make more Star Wars movies, but so far they've gotten some pretty talented screewriters, so hopefully this means they're taking the franchise seriously.

Pretty much all of those developments are worthy of their fresh status. Star Trek Into Darkness, Iron Man 3 and Night Stalker are three of my most anticipated films this year, while I can't wait for X-men: Days of Future Past next year.

Jan 5 - 10:04 AM

Darren Anderson

Darren Anderson

Agreed totally about Vaughn for Star Wars. He pulled out of Kick-Ass and X-Men a few weeks before the anouncement of more Star Wars and he would be my first pick with Blomkamp.

Star Trek, Star Wars and X-Men were the big stories for me.

Jan 8 - 12:57 PM

Dylan P.

Dylan P

Wow thats a lot of good stuff.

Jan 5 - 10:15 AM

Typhon

Typhon Q

Sorry, but this is Peter Jackson we're talking about...

Jan 5 - 10:54 AM

Andrew Brinkerhoff

Andrew Brinkerhoff

Interesting list:

1. Ehhh, I'm gonna just wait and see on this one.
2. Cool, Star Trek 2 is on my must-see list this year.
3. Meh, I'm getting kind of bored with Johnny Depp, he just seems to play the same "odd" character every time. I'll wait and see, though.
4. Never saw the first one, and I dislike Will Ferrell (though I might watch it for the supporting characters).
5. IM3's also on my must-see list for this year, interested to see how Ben Kingsley's turn as the Mandarin turns out.
6. Nice, the first one really grew on me after a few viewings, but I can't help but wonder if the move from Lionsgate to Universal will affect the feel of the film at all (not to mention Matthew Vaughn isn't involved). Still interested, though.
7. If they can give all of the JL members proper set-up films, I'm in.
8. Not a LOTR fan, so this doesn't do much for me :\
9. I liked "X-Men: First Class", so I'm looking forward to the next one.
10. I've liked all of DreamWorks' recent films (yes, Rise of the Guardians included), so hopefully they can keep it up.
11. I'll just wait for the trailer to make my decision on this one.
12. Erm, while I really liked "Ralph", I don't know if another full-length feature is the best idea, primarily because there's nowhere else to go with the title character after the first film. I'll wait and see.

Jan 5 - 11:05 AM

King Crunk

Vaughn is not directing Kick Ass 2, but he is producing and was heavily involved in developing the story for it. He is doing the same thing with Days of Future Past. And the article specifically states that there will not be set-up films for Justice League, they are going for the money right out of the gate.

Jan 5 - 04:31 PM

Andrew Brinkerhoff

Andrew Brinkerhoff

Oh geez, I totally missed that about JL when reading the article, thank you; hope they can pull it off. Also didn't realize Vaughn was still very much involved with Kick-Ass 2, proof that I need to do my research before typing stuff out ;)

Jan 6 - 11:23 AM

Joax

joaquin ocampo

NOBODY CARES ANDREW.

Jan 6 - 02:11 AM

Alberto Zeeky

Alberto Zeeky

The Justice League film is borderline rotten in my mind. You can sense the desperation of a cash in after the avengers destroyed the box office. No set up films is a very discouraging and the track record with DC heroes hasn't been anything impressive outside of batman.

Jan 5 - 02:12 PM

zinc alloy

zinc alloy

Hmmm....Watchmen....V for Vendetta....both better than anything Marvel has put out

Jan 5 - 07:38 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Vendetta was good but.. Watchmen sucked hard.

Jan 5 - 11:35 PM

Darren Anderson

Darren Anderson

Watchmen comics are great but they just couldn't get it right for the big screen. V for Vendetta is an under-rated film that never really got the cudos it deserved.

Jan 8 - 01:03 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

And he said DC, not Vertigo. Even though Vertigo is owned by DC they have very different flavors and he's correct outside of Batman and they haven't been impressive with their pure DC properties, even though I liked Superman Returns very much.

Jan 6 - 04:10 PM