Weekly Ketchup: J.J. Abrams On Board For Star Wars

Summary

This week's Ketchup includes movie development news for directors like Paul Thomas Anderson and David Fincher, sequels for The Best Man and Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, and the latest about the seventh Star Wars movie. Back to Article

Comments

James Eberhardt

James Eberhardt

To suggest that Superman and Batman were not part of the original group that formed the JLA is laughable. While they were not available to battle Starro in Brave & The Bold #28, they were summoned, because they were part of the team. Issue #1 includes both Batman and Superman in the role call in their adventure against Despero. Issue #9 of JLA (Feb 1962) introduces the first origin story, which includes Batman and Superman. Not only are they included in the first 2 appearances of the JLA, but they are also included in the first origin story.

So, Greg Dean Schmitz, would you care to elaborate on why you think Batman & Superman were not founding members of the JLA?

Jan 25 - 08:51 PM

greg_dean_schmitz

Greg Dean Schmitz

DC Comics sort of retconned the notion that Batman and Superman weren't founding members through JLA: Year One, and so, I guess that has just really stuck with me. Yes, a retcon of sorts (thanks to Zero Hour), but still basically canon for quite a while. In JLA: Year One, the founding members were four of the five I listed, except Black Canary instead of Wonder Woman. Anyway... what I wrote was basically correct. Even if for just one issue (and by a technicality). http://www.dccomics.com/graphic-novels/jla-year-one

And as a footnote... in Avengers #1, Rick Jones actually called the Fantastic Four, not the heroes who showed up and became the Avengers (long story short... = Loki!). But that doesn't make the FF founding members of the Avengers. :)

Jan 25 - 09:41 PM

Nathan Abril

Nathan Abril

Except that JLA: Year One itself was retconned after Infinite Crisis to the normal status quo of Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman being founding members, with the other five (and Black Canary). Plus, the original origin of Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman being original founding members of the league was around a lot longer than JLA: Year One was (the original origin lasted almost 24 years before Crisis on Infinite Earths retconned it, as opposed to JLA: Year One's 18 year run). Also, if we are talking about retcons, don't forget that the New 52 retconned the Justice League's founding members to: Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Flash, Aquaman, and Cyborg. So yeah, either way you are still wrong (with the exception of the Avengers first storyline, the original Avengers were called in by accident).

Jan 26 - 04:52 AM

greg_dean_schmitz

Greg Dean Schmitz

I'll give you that Batman and Superman appear to have had some sort of "honorary" membership, but DC was really plugging the other five on the covers, at least in the first year or so. Until their 13th comic (Justice League of America #10), the only time that Batman or Superman appeared on a cover was in the form of chess board pieces on JLoA #1.

Just kinda weird.

Jan 26 - 02:18 PM

Typhon

Typhon Q

Star Wars 7 is shaping up pretty good...

Jan 25 - 08:53 PM

Alex Carawan

Alex Carawan

By ignoring decades of expanded universe story just to make a movie designed to get your money? Yeah, it's shaping up REAL good.

Jan 27 - 01:04 AM

James Mitchell

anders peter

yep. fuck the eu

Jul 3 - 01:51 PM

greg_dean_schmitz

Greg Dean Schmitz

An even better, more official, official confirmation just came online! http://starwars.com/news/star-wars-is-being-kick-started-with-dynamite-jj-abrams-to-direct-star-wars-episode-vii.html

Jan 25 - 09:33 PM

greg_dean_schmitz

Greg Dean Schmitz

Jan 25 - 09:41 PM

Nathan Abril

Nathan Abril

Jan 26 - 04:52 AM

greg_dean_schmitz

Greg Dean Schmitz

Just kinda weird.

Jan 26 - 02:18 PM

This comment has been removed.

greg_dean_schmitz

Greg Dean Schmitz

The hatch light came on at the end of Deus Ex Machina, which was directed by Robert Mandel, the director of "The Substitute," a few after school specials, and several episodes of Nash Bridges (which was the show that LOST producers Carlton Cuse and Damon Lindelof first worked together on). The last shot of the S1 finale was Jack and Locke looking down the hatch tunnel. And that episode, Exodus Part 2, was directed by Jack Bender. J.J. Abrams actually didn't direct any LOST episodes after the two parts of "Pilot." He did cowrite the S3 premiere "Tale of Two Cities" with Damon Lindelof.

I'm a huge LOST nerd. Even did a weekly podcast during Season 6.

*Namaste*

Jan 25 - 10:15 PM

JC Martel

JC Martel

Spielberg by numbers without any of the heart or the fun.

Jan 25 - 10:03 PM

JC Martel

JC Martel

Yeah, that's my style to ask for autographs... I mean if you loved Cloverfield, Super 8 and Star Trek which were all either horrible or huge disappointments then there's nothing else to argue about. Mission Impossible was ok but nothing special or memorable. Felicity & Alias I shouldn't even mention. Perharps it was his great writing on such classics as Armageddon or Gone Fishing was what made you fall in love with him ? I will give him Lost season 1, that was great, when that light turned on in the hatch at the very last moment of season 1, that was the pinnacle of his career. Other than that, I don't see why you fanboys are drooling all over this guy. The man seems very well connected in Hollywood and seems to have a very good hype machine of publicists working for him because when you look at the facts, there's nothing that warrants this kind of adoration. Nothing.

Jan 25 - 10:04 PM

King  S.

King Simba

Yeesh, I hate it when people try to pass their opinion as fact. I don't care about the guys connections in Hollywood or his publicists; in fact, I didn't even know who he was until Star Trek hit theaters. I like him simply because I loved his Star Trek movie.

Jan 25 - 11:45 PM

Alex Carawan

Alex Carawan

King Simba, shut up and let intelligent people speak. JC Martel, thank you. Thank you for your clear-headed insight into Hollywood.

Jan 27 - 01:10 AM

King  S.

King Simba

Alex, at least I'm smart enough to know what an opinion is, I wish I could say the same for you.

Jan 27 - 01:17 PM

dj Mark

Mark Marquis

JC and Alex. They make motel rooms for that sort of thing.

Jan 31 - 03:19 PM

greg_dean_schmitz

Greg Dean Schmitz

I'm a huge LOST nerd. Even did a weekly podcast during Season 6.

*Namaste*

Jan 25 - 10:15 PM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

The JJ Abrams part is the only interesting news this week.

Jan 25 - 11:21 PM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

I haven't heard anyone worship Abrams to be called overrated. If you're going to call a director overrated, then make that director IS overrated (like Nolan).

Jan 25 - 11:24 PM

Alex Carawan

Alex Carawan

Yes. Christopher Nolan is so overrated. Man, he sucks at female characters. But J.J. Abrams is just as trash. He is to real nerds as the Big Bang Theory is to real intelligent people.

Jan 27 - 01:08 AM

King  S.

King Simba

J.J. Abrams directing Star Wars is fantastic news. Star Trek was everything the new Star Wars movie should be. The only letdown in all of this is that this means Abrams won't be able to return to do a third Star Trek, but oh well I'm more of a Star Wars fan anyway.

Hard to get excited about anything else this week in light of the new Star Wars news. Haven't heard of Gone Girl before now, but David Fincher has yet to let me down, so I'm looking forward to it, while Chloe Moretz is a fantastic actors who has already starred in several great films, so I'm interested in If I Stay (I really wanted her to get the lead in Divergent so I guess this is the next best thing).

I'm still somewhat skeptical about The Justice League, but I really don't think it should be ranked rotten just because it's only going to feature one female and features members who weren't in the original team. I mean Avengers had the former and X-men had the latter and both turned out really good.

Not sure how Robotech is rated so high, given that it's being directed by a guy who previously just did commercials, as well as Hollywood's poor track record at adapting anime series.

Jan 25 - 11:38 PM

Alex Carawan

Alex Carawan

You're not a Star Wars fan. You just like things with big budgets and lots of colors. Admit, and never speak about anything Sci-fi related ever again.

Jan 27 - 01:01 AM

Christian Taylor

Christian Taylor

Alex, I think you've summed up the Abrams Trek fan boys, nicely.

Jan 27 - 10:09 AM

King  S.

King Simba

Jan 25 - 11:45 PM

SpaceHaley

SpaceHaley .

JJ Abrams directing the next Star Wars is like a dream come true. And while I'm eagerly awaiting Pacific Rim, Robotech sounds like too much of the same.

Jan 26 - 02:57 AM

Alex Carawan

Alex Carawan

You have sick dreams.

Jan 27 - 12:59 AM

Nathan Abril

Nathan Abril

Jan 26 - 04:52 AM

greg_dean_schmitz

Greg Dean Schmitz

Just kinda weird.

Jan 26 - 02:18 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Green Lantern isn't an Alien.

Jan 26 - 08:47 AM

Typhon

Typhon Q

Well hes basically a human running on alien technology

Jan 26 - 09:05 AM

Richard Linklater
Richard Linklater

What are his Five Favorite Films?

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

Emmys
Emmys

Full 2014 nominations list

Planet of the Apes
Planet of the Apes

Watch interviews with the cast