Weekly Ketchup: Star Wars Spinoff Films Confirmed

Summary

This week saw the movie development scene rewarded with a plague of blessings. The start of the Berlinale, one of the major film markets, provided lots of smaller announcements that would have normally made the "top ten" cut. However, they were mostly drowned out by bigger franchise stories, many of them thanks to Disney's various fanboy-friendly subsidiaries. Like the Hulk (or really, superheroes in general), animated movies, and Star Wars? This was the week for you. Back to Article

Comments

Lee Augustus

Lee Augustus

Is still think they should go with the Thrawn trilogy

Feb 8 - 06:04 PM

Lee Augustus

Lee Augustus

*I

Feb 8 - 06:05 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

Kind of liked how you said it the first time. Reminds me of my Russian buddies.

Feb 8 - 08:19 PM

Michal Karolczak

Michal Karolczak

they should!!! thrawn trilogy is almost a ready script

Feb 9 - 10:11 AM

Chris Middleton

Chris Middleton

I couldn't agree more. Those books came out back when official Star Wars novels were still something special (you know, back before most of them became laughable) and Timothy Zhan delivered perhaps the best work of his career and the most worthy follow up to the classic trilogy to date (yes including Lucas' own prequel films). He captured the essence of our most beloved characters and introduced a new multi-faceted villain (Thrawn) and in the process blurred the lines between good and evil. The books featured the political intrigue of Lucas' prequel trilogy with the action and tension of the original trilogy and then one-upped both of them with creative climaxes that only heightened in drama with each successive book. He also took the idea of Jedi Masters to grander levels than what was ultimately unveiled by Lucas (Lets just say they weren't merely better sword fighters than Jedi Knights lol.) That trilogy remains to this day the benchmark for all Star Wars literature and has perhaps never been matched even by Zahn himself.

My main concern is that those books picked up more or less where the Return of the Jedi left off, meaning that one of two things would have to happen: 1) Altering the timeline to match the age of the original actors; or 2) all the classic characters would have to be recast. Neither is ideal and would be a cause of great apprehension at least for myself. I could see someone like Matt Damon making a good Luke Skywalker, but how can one possibly fill the shoes left by Harrison Ford?

Still, despite my concerns about adapting the Thrawn trilogy, I highly doubt that Disney will be able to pen a superior script. Besides, from the sounds of it, they seem to be treading into the exact same murky casting waters.

Feb 10 - 01:11 PM

Dyego Alehandro

Dyego Alehandro

Another agreement! Thrawn is far and away my favorite Star Wars character and, let's be honest here, Timothy Zahn's excellent books brought Star Wars back from the brink. People tend to forget that by the late 80's and very early 1990, Star Wars was kind of dead and forgotten. The Thrawn Trilogy brought it back to life, and for awhile there that was a very good thing. Then things went downhill from there.

It is, however, a very grand pity about your concerns because they are very valid. It would be painful to recast Han Solo because, let's face it, nobody can do Harrison Ford justice. Pushing the timeline into the future -could- work but, of course, would tick off a large number of fans of the extended universe (who have already been ticked off by Lucas anyway, so there's no pleasing them [read: me]). I don't know.

All I know for sure is that they need to hire Zahn as a story consultant immediately. Also, you really should read some of his other work. Icarus Hunt and the Dragonback series are excellent sci-fi novels and rank among my favorite all-time books, even though the Dragonbacks are considered "young adult."

Feb 12 - 01:38 AM

Lee Augustus

Lee Augustus

*I

Feb 8 - 06:05 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

Kind of liked how you said it the first time. Reminds me of my Russian buddies.

Feb 8 - 08:19 PM

Michal Karolczak

Michal Karolczak

they should!!! thrawn trilogy is almost a ready script

Feb 9 - 10:11 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

The only Garant/Lennon film I want to see is their Sundance comedy "Hell Baby".

The Star Wars and Hulk news are too nebulous right now to get excited about. I'm just waiting for Disney to build the new rides in their "kingdom". I heard Dakota Fanning was playing Yoda, so there's that, which might be better than the rumored Shia LaDouche playing the young Han Solo. "Oh, I'm afraid the defecation will be quite operational when your children arrive."

"Heathers" is one of my favorite 80s comedies, but Daniel Waters took a notorious nosedive, writing "Hudson Hawk", "Ford Fairlane" and "Demolition Man". I'm just glad it isn't the YA Daniel Waters who wrote the "Generation Dead" books.

Look at Depp. What a boss. Affleck and Damon can't hide their daughters better than that? I'm not familiar with the book, but I hope it doesn't whitewash the scumbag, and Levinson is iffy at his age (but "What Just Happened" was very funny).

"Shadow King" sounds intriguing. A lot more interesting than most of the other news here. Good for Selick.

Feb 8 - 06:28 PM

Dick Travis

Mick Travis

You should check out Waters' SEX AND DEATH 101 with Simon Baker and Winona Ryder; it's the best thing he's done since HEATHERS, and it absolutely stuffed with movie in-jokes.

Feb 8 - 08:40 PM

Tom Carter

Tom Carter

As far as the Star Wars spinoffs, that sounds kinda interesting. I'd love to know more with the Han Solo one (especially if Lando Calrissian's involved), Boba Fett seems like a pretty popular character, and it would be weird to know more about Jabba the Hutt. Yoda, on the other hand, we kinda know quite a bit about, but then again, a spinoff should be pretty good...

Feb 8 - 06:40 PM

Matthew R.

Matthew Reimer

I've always had this idea about a Yoda prequel about a young Yoda as a Jedi in training.

Feb 8 - 07:46 PM

Adrian Wolf

Adrian Wolf

young Yoda and young Obi? cmon now!

Feb 8 - 09:40 PM

Noah Abraham G.

Noah Abraham Goucher

Mmm, I can't wait for Illumination's "Grinch" where the Grinch is horribly miscast, Cindy Lou Who is played by Miley Cyrus and Max is basically a ripoff of the Minions from "Despicable Me."

Feb 8 - 07:38 PM

Matthew R.

Matthew Reimer

In a lot of Illumination's movies other then Despicable Me, the back round characters are mostly made like the Minions to get attention. For example, in "The Lorax" there are forest bears and singing fish who have slapstick in the style of the Minions. In "Hop", there are a bunch a little chicks who would act like the Minions (clueless, mindless,ect.) I wouldn't be surprise if it would be the same in "The Grinch".

Feb 8 - 07:51 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Miley Cyrus is finished, if would be Selena Gomez. Matthew is spot on regarding illuminations background characters. I thought the Onceler was a Great Hero for ridding the film of those annoying lil Critters.

Feb 9 - 12:17 PM

Matthew R.

Matthew Reimer

In Hotel Transylvania, Miley Cyrus was set on to voice the character of Mavis (Dracula's daughter in the movie) but then drop out to focus on other stuff so they replaced her with Selena Gomez. It would be the second time in a row that would happen in which Gomez would voice a character in animated movie instead of Cyrus.

Feb 9 - 09:07 PM

Matthew R.

Matthew Reimer

I don't see how Ben Stiller returning for Night At The Museum 3 bad while the Grinch becomes a animated movie (nothing bad with that but still.) In the mean time, the Star Wars spinoffs and Hulk movie has me interested.

Feb 8 - 07:45 PM

This comment has been removed.

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

Why can't we comment on pics and trailers? Not gonna let this go...

Feb 8 - 09:40 PM

greg_dean_schmitz

Greg Dean Schmitz

The Grinch remake is Fresh based mostly on the notion of the remake being a second chance to get the adaptation right. NatM 3 is Rotten based on the previous films' RT scores, and many of the director's previous films.

Feb 8 - 09:43 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

But Greg . . . a two-hour Grinch movie, come on the will be padded-out, elongated, infused, embellished, exaggerated-- it'll be worse than The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey.

Feb 9 - 07:43 AM

Matthew R.

Matthew Reimer

Feb 8 - 07:46 PM

Adrian Wolf

Adrian Wolf

young Yoda and young Obi? cmon now!

Feb 8 - 09:40 PM

Matthew R.

Matthew Reimer

Feb 8 - 07:51 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

Kind of liked how you said it the first time. Reminds me of my Russian buddies.

Feb 8 - 08:19 PM

Michal Karolczak

Michal Karolczak

they should!!! thrawn trilogy is almost a ready script

Feb 9 - 10:11 AM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

I want to see a Salacious Crumb movie. Eh hehehheheheheheh!

Feb 8 - 08:21 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

The unfortunate adventures of Momaw Nadon and Ponda Baba.

Feb 8 - 08:29 PM

This comment has been removed.

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

Why can't we comment on pics and trailers? Not gonna let this go...

Feb 8 - 09:40 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

The unfortunate adventures of Momaw Nadon and Ponda Baba.

Feb 8 - 08:29 PM

Typhon

Typhon Q

I think that the Star Wars spinoffs should be of new characters with some old ones as supporting cast. They should start creating a new world for Star Wars, not trying to thicken the things that exist and risk screwing it up.

As for the Hulk stuff, I think that it sounds a bit too ridiculous to go with that storyline.

Feb 8 - 08:36 PM

Dick Travis

Mick Travis

Feb 8 - 08:40 PM

Bram S.

Bram Sterling

The Boxtrolls and The Shadow King are going to be amazing. After Coraline and ParaNorman, I believe that Laika can do no wrong. They both sound a bit weird, but they're going to be awesome.

How the Grinch Stole Christmas, on the other hand, I am not looking forward to. I couldn't stand The Lorax, and I don't think that HTGSC will be much different. This news piece should be rotten, I believe.

Feb 8 - 09:28 PM

Adrian Wolf

Adrian Wolf

young Yoda and young Obi? cmon now!

Feb 8 - 09:40 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

Why can't we comment on pics and trailers? Not gonna let this go...

Feb 8 - 09:40 PM

greg_dean_schmitz

Greg Dean Schmitz

Feb 8 - 09:43 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

Feb 9 - 07:43 AM

Dylan P.

Dylan P

CGI Grinch? Really? I loved the 2000 Grinch I am one of the people the writer was talking about. I actually thought The Cat In The Hat was ok not terrible as well. I never thought those live action Dr. Seuss's were that bad.

Feb 8 - 11:17 PM

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Summer Movies