Critic Review - Globe and Mail

It does the job just fine. That job, as director George Lucas freely admits, is quite simply to thrill the beating hearts and the inquiring minds of 12-year-old boys.

March 22, 2002 Full Review Source: Globe and Mail | Comments (19)
Globe and Mail
Top Critic IconTop Critic

Comments

Ben Branch

Ben Branch

I was 12 years old (Exactly a month away from turning 13) when I first saw this opening morning at 12 AM, ironically enough, and it was still a plotless disappointment with nothing to support it other than cool CG and character design that simply wasn't enough to compensate and turned me off from being the huge Star Wars fan I was at the time, so I can say I beg to differ wholeheartedly.

Jan 30 - 11:59 AM

Jake Houston

Jake Houston

Yeah, because galactic trade disputes really cut to the core of 12 year old's.

Jan 31 - 05:44 AM

JC Martel

JC Martel

You got f*cked up by Ben & Jacob fool !

Feb 2 - 05:48 PM

Marcos Villarreal

Marcos Villarreal

I don't know why bother to make it 3D. Maybe because of Lion King and Beauty and the Beast. But if they had to show any of the starwars movies, it shouldn't have been episode 1 or 2. Those were the worst movies of the star wars saga.

Feb 3 - 06:30 PM

Kesley Goettling

Kesley Goettling

This movie was garbage when it came out and it's garbage now. The fact that you people insist that it's for children is completely ridiculous, considering the large majority of the fans of the original series have to be adults by this point. The acting is just bad, the characters were useless, the script is poor, the plot is sketchy and boring, and then there's Jar Jar Binks. What else do you people need to give this movie a bad review?

Feb 6 - 02:03 PM

Richard Noels

Richard Noels

My god i can't even watch episodes 1-3 anymore as i tend to get bored or fall asleep.

Feb 9 - 08:29 PM

Michael Collins

Michael Collins

This is what I want Lucas to do before it's too late--Lucas listen to me if you read these things.
Listen please Lucas before I get too old to care anymore and you loose a fan to Star Wars. Are you listening. Okay-- "A New Hope" "Empire Strikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi"---do them over.
Everyone shut up for a minute. I know what your going to say--"Why redo classic"
I'm going to say "Oh shut up--why not?"
We have new technology and graphics now, so stop dusting off these movies, and just let them be classics. For those who like the classics, then go buy them and put them on your shelf, and shut your hole. Lucas I think you really need to redo those three and put an amazing spin on them. Keep the important things we like about them, but amp up the graphics. Make each one long of course and above all, finish Luke's character. I would like to know just how strong he became. Will there be anymore major villains. Make more. villains. Stop letting the video games stories beat the heck out of the movies. Oh and upgrade dark vader's look. I'm tired of the giant helmet. If you redo those three than it would make since to do so. That would give the new look dark vader a chance to be more flexible. Sort of the down fall with Batman and his stiff shoulder costumes. Please no more pimping us for our money. Give us what we want or I will delete Star Wars from my memory. I know you don't care because you have tons of money that you wipe your behind with, but that's okay. If I can delete, than many other's can as well. Star Wars has always been an interesting visual ride for me, and boy did it slow down. I'm not going to say when but you probably already know when.
If you do redo them, please choose actors carefully. No quick pics, because you never win with those things. Or often. Pleeeease Lucas. Pleeeeasse. You will make a lot of Mooooooney!
I mean you will make "more" mooooney!!lol.

Feb 7 - 11:52 AM

Ben Custer

Ben Custer

Is this a joke? This must be a joke.

Feb 7 - 03:12 PM

JC Martel

JC Martel

Hardcore troll.

Feb 7 - 08:34 PM

Mike H.

Mike Hackler

If you want to continue the story, you should check out the books Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, and the Last Command. They are the only Star Wars books I truly love and Timothy Zahn completely and totally brings the Star Wars universe straight to the paper. It feels like a natural extension of the story. I would love to see them made into movies. Just not by George.

Just for fun, Roles:

Luke Skywalker: Topher Grace
Han Solo: Hugh Jackman
Leia: Natalie Portman
Admiral Thrawn: Pierce Brosnan

Feb 10 - 09:16 AM

Noah Asher

Noah Asher

what about legacy of the force?

Feb 10 - 03:02 PM

Dolamite Ulysse

Dolamite Ulysse

its funny how you suggest topher grace as luke... on that 70s show as eric that was his favorite character

Feb 13 - 09:13 PM

watersrd

Rick Waters

Topher Grace? You're going to redo Star Wars with... Topher Grace???

Feb 20 - 02:25 PM

Max Taffey

Max Taffey

@ Michael C :
First of all: I despise Star Wars I through III. But I despise your idiotic comment even more. MORON.

Feb 10 - 09:38 PM

Meghan Cook

Meghan Cook

Nevermind the ridiculous suggestion, but did you just call him "dark vader"? -__-

Feb 11 - 07:37 AM

David Thompson

David Thompson

A Freudian slip. That is what the name implies. Still, how about checking your post before posting?

Feb 12 - 12:09 AM

Michael Collins

Michael Collins

Wow chill out folks. Just a suggestion. Everyone's pimp slapping my comment. It wasn't a bad suggestion either. It's just something I would love to see redone and continued. Don't act like you don't want more or some sort of better perspective from the Star Wars series. Or you wouldn't even brushed this page. If you so called fans are so tired of the direction he's taking with the movies, speak up. I'm an big CG, 3d animation, fan so I loved all of the movies, and appreciate them, but looking back on them now, I'm thinking "Ehh" time for an upgrade, and there are so many stories to use that Star Wars spatted out, so use them. I just want to see more brought to life. No 3d crap, just wasting time. I know he put so much work into Star Wars, and the last ones seemed to go down hill. Except when I'm sorry "Darth Vader" was fighting
Obi-Wan. That was niiiice! Sooooooo--finish it. I don't want to go backwards anymore to see the beginning. That's just how it sounds too.lol.
I meant it about the helmet too.
Oh and that's what I'm talking about "Mike H"
A real response.
I suggest Peter Jackson though. Topher Grace I'm not sure if it's right to do that. I think the part should go to a new and upcoming actor. Someone that's looks the part, but is kind of under rated. That way the acting would be on point because the actor is truly grateful to be a part of a blockbuster movie. Something is telling me to say "Angelina Jolie" for Leia.
I just want to see her loosen up again like she was in Tomb Raider and Mr and Ms Smith. You guys probably don't like those movies but I like watching her. Leia should be latest eye candy.
I don't want cute Leia--we want to see hot Leia.
I think this should be Angelina's last movies before she probably retires.
Anyway--I'm done. That's all I wanted to say. lol--besides screw 3d. I got really mad when I saw that commercial. I was waiting for something better from Lucas.
For crying in the g-golly mud dontcha know.

Feb 12 - 08:10 PM

Diego Tutweiller

The Artist Formerly Known as Tutweiller

Yeah, really. Nothing creates suspense like a good old trade embargo.

Feb 11 - 12:26 PM

Justin Steinburg

Justin Steinburg

You could at least make it a good film, that 12 year olds enjoy aswell. Fuck Lucas.

Feb 13 - 12:54 PM