—— The Identical Sep 05

78% Ray Donovan: Season 2
46% Reckless: Season 1
87% The Strain: Season 1
—— Unforgettable: Season 2

Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones 3D (2002)

tomatometer

Average Rating: 6.6/10
Reviews Counted: 219
Fresh: 146 | Rotten: 73

Though it still suffers from an overabundance of exposition, the action quotient is upped considerably in Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones, which makes it an improvement over The Phantom Menace.

Average Rating: 5.5/10

Average Rating: 3.3/5
User Ratings: 839,939

My Rating

Movie Info

The second prequel to the original Star Wars trilogy takes place ten years after the events depicted in Star Wars: Episode I -- The Phantom Menace. Now 20, young Anakin Skywalker (Hayden Christensen) is an apprentice to respected Jedi knight Obi-Wan Kenobi (Ewan McGregor). Unusually powerful in the Force, Anakin is also impatient, arrogant, and headstrong -- causing his mentor a great deal of concern. The pair are ordered to protect Padme Amidala (Natalie Portman), the former queen of the planet

Nov 12, 2002

$310.3M

20th Century Fox - Official Site External Icon

Watch It Now

Cast

Latest News on Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones 3D

August 27, 2012:
Two 3D Star Wars Reissues Coming in 2013
We'll get those pesky prequels out of the way next year.
July 23, 2008:
Lucas Taking Star Wars 3-D?
According to DreamWorks Animation CEO Jeffrey Katzenberg, George Lucas is prepping 3-D versions of...

Friend Ratings

No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.

All Critics (221) | Top Critics (43) | Fresh (146) | Rotten (73) | DVD (51)

This time the exposition is so thick that everyone except acolytes may tune out.

March 5, 2008 Full Review Source: Chicago Reader | Comments (14)
Chicago Reader
Top Critic IconTop Critic

Christensen is a winning mix of sultry and sulky as the now older Anakin, while McGregor is finally beginning to relax as the mentor who understandably refuses to treat his moody pupil like a grown-up.

June 24, 2006 Full Review Source: Time Out
Time Out
Top Critic IconTop Critic

Lucas has never been able to conjure another Han Solo, a character who could, with simply a wink, remind us that this was just an overgrown Saturday afternoon serial.

June 13, 2002
Arizona Republic
Top Critic IconTop Critic

The good news? Star Wars: Episode II -- Attack of the Clones is eons better than Star Wars: Episode I -- The Phantom Menace. The bad news? It's still not very good.

June 1, 2002 Full Review Source: L.A. Weekly
L.A. Weekly
Top Critic IconTop Critic

A commendable example of the sort of movie we once loved and then outgrew.

May 19, 2002 Full Review Source: New York Magazine/Vulture
New York Magazine/Vulture
Top Critic IconTop Critic

The scale of the enterprise is thrilling; it's too bad the movie is so muddled on so many different levels.

May 17, 2002 Full Review Source: Slate
Slate
Top Critic IconTop Critic

Sit back and enjoy fantastic, imaginative visuals.

December 28, 2010 Full Review Source: Common Sense Media
Common Sense Media

It starts off briskly with some fantastic special effects and a great high-speed chase but then founders on the shores of bad script writing.

July 4, 2009 Full Review Source: Eye for Film | Comment (1)
Eye for Film

Though, lacking in plotline it makes up for in action and entertainment.

April 29, 2009 Full Review Source: Cinema Crazed
Cinema Crazed

Lucas does not always recognize his limitations. This tends to make films of mixed quality. Still, there is always enough that is excellent to make them worth seeing.

October 18, 2008 Full Review Source: rec.arts.movies.reviews
rec.arts.movies.reviews

Attack of the Clones emerges looking as bad as if not worse than its 1999 predecessor, thanks to the lame romantic subplot, which is so badly written, directed and performed that it surpasses Jar-Jar Binks as the all-time low point in the series.

August 20, 2008 Full Review Source: ESplatter | Comments (4)
ESplatter

Makes The Phantom Menace seem like one long clearing of the throat before Lucas could begin to tell the real story.

August 13, 2008 Full Review Source: Film4

The special effects are remarkable, yet somehow numbing, and the film only partly lives up to the promise in the title of Lucas's company, Industrial Light and Magic.

March 5, 2008 Full Review Source: Observer [UK] | Comment (1)
Observer [UK]

While it lacks the quality of Empire's script and performances, Clones is the most visually enthralling of the series so far.

September 7, 2007 Full Review Source: Looking Closer
Looking Closer

It is certainly better than the childish Phantom Menace and the final 45 minutes of straight action beat the editing nightmare at the end of the last film.

July 14, 2007 Full Review Source: Big Picture Big Sound
Big Picture Big Sound

The magic has definitely been recaptured.

December 6, 2005 Full Review Source: Film Threat
Film Threat

As convincing a job as they, Christensen, and Lee do, they all end up being upstaged by the jaw-dropping skills of a CGI creation: Yoda (again voiced by Frank Oz), who finally gets a chance to show exactly why he has such a legendary reputation.

December 6, 2005 Full Review Source: Film Threat
Film Threat

The muppet steals what's otherwise an underwhelming show.

November 4, 2005 Full Review Source: Bangor Daily News (Maine)
Bangor Daily News (Maine)

Clones is far from perfect, but when it clicks, it revives the old spirit that made a generation become so obsessed with all things Star Wars in the first place.

May 18, 2005 Full Review Source: Reel Times: Reflections on Cinema
Reel Times: Reflections on Cinema

It's impossible...to dismiss a film with this much stuff: exotic production design, imaginative characters, and a wide variety of digital jedi fu.

May 9, 2005
Groucho Reviews

It would be easy to say that this film is fantastic and blows away the others, but unfortunately I cannot.

August 13, 2004 Full Review Source: Oregon Herald

Superior to Episode I -- The Phantom Menace, with its annoying Jar Jar Binks and its dull, galaxy-hopping story line.

June 22, 2004 Full Review Source: Courier-Journal (Louisville, KY)

Enjoy this film they will.

February 1, 2004 Full Review Source: FilmStew.com

Alternately excites and bores.

May 20, 2003
Palo Alto Weekly

Audience Reviews for Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones 3D

this movie has some great action sequences to look at and the effects are great and spectacular to see, when i was little i couldn't get enough of the last 45 minutes because its just all out war and fighting with the clones, Jedi, droids, genosians, ships, Sith, weird creatures, its freaking crazy but that's what i love about it, its intense and awesome to watch.
April 8, 2014
michael e.
Michael Edwards

Though it's a lot to take in, Attack of the Clones is still a fun ride. The writing and acting still suffer, but once again--similar to Phantom Menace--the action sequences and the story it tells make up for these flaws. There is excitement, mystery, and romance (with some cliches in tow of course).
June 18, 2013
Matthew Samuel Mirliani

Slightly improving on things that the first prequel completely failed on, "Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones" is not is any way a goof film, but it is a damn entertaining one to watch, even if it's for dumb reasons to begin with. We follow a grown up Anikin Skywalker as he becomes stronger and understands the ways of the force. This is the middle chunk of this story, where we begin to see the dark side of Anikin, and a foreshadow of his soon-to-be future. Again, poorly scripted, sloppy camerawork, and a dumb plot, with great visuals and very entertaining battles sequences. This film satisfies in ways that I wish were different, but at least it's a little better than the previous installment. In end end, it's nothing special to remember.
April 28, 2013
KJ Proulx

five stars!!
February 19, 2013
YodaMasterJedi
MisterYoda ?

1. Anakin Skywalker: Don't be afraid.
    2. Padmé Amidala: I'm not afraid to die. I've been dying a little bit each day since you came back into my life.
    3. Anakin Skywalker: What are you talking about?
    4. Padmé Amidala: I love you.
    5. Anakin Skywalker: You love me? I thought that had decided not to fall in love--that we would be forced to live a lie and that it would destroy our lives.
    6. Padmé Amidala: I think our lives are about to be destroyed anyway. I love truly, deeply love you, and before we die I want you to know.
    – Submitted by Jenna L (21 months ago)
    1. Obi-Wan Kenobi: Blast! This is why I hate flying!
    – Submitted by Magnus G (23 months ago)
    1. Yoda: Victory? Victory you say? Master Obi-Wan, not victory. The shroud of the dark side has fallen. Begun, the Clone War has.
    – Submitted by Typhon Q (24 months ago)
    1. Anakin Skywalker: I don't like sand. It's coarse, and rough, and irritating, and it gets everywhere.
    – Submitted by Jed G (2 years ago)
    1. Count Dooku: Master Kenobi, you disappoint me! Yoda holds you in such high esteem...surely you could do better!
    – Submitted by Braden W (2 years ago)
    1. Anakin Skywalker: I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere. Not like here. Here everything is soft and smooth.
    – Submitted by Rocky F (2 years ago)

Discussion Forum

Discuss Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones 3D on our Movie forum!

What's Hot On RT

Total Recall

Pierce Brosnan's 10 Best Movies

Mindy Project
Mindy Project

Get caught up on the comedy

Red Carpet Roundup
Red Carpet Roundup

See pictures from this week's premieres

Foreign Titles

• Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones (DE)
  • Star Wars - Episode II - Attack of the Clones (UK)