Rank the STAR WARS films

HERE'S MINE:
The Original Trilogy (I like all three equally)
Revenge of the Sith
Attack of the Clones
Phantom Menace / Clone Wars
John Tyler
J *
05-4-2013 10:54 AM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

Rodrigo Bertini

Rodrigo Bertini

MINE LIST
1 - A New Hope
2 - The Empire Strikes Back
3 - Revenge of the Sith
4 - Attack of the Clones
5 - Return of the Jedi
6 - The Phantom Menace

Oct 28 - 10:29 AM

Diego Tutweiller

The Artist Formerly Known as Tutweiller

Okay, could someone explain to me how Attack of the Clones is worse than The Phantom Menace? I mean, the dialogue is equally shitty in both of them, but... Jar-Jar Binks. Come on.

Aug 30 - 09:40 PM

Jeff P.

Jeff Walken

Attack of the Clones had the shitty romance, shitty action, the lightsaber battle at the end was boring as fuck, and Jar Jar is even more annoying because his voice echoes through that senate room everything he speaks. I could go into more detail, but I just don't really want to right now.

Sep 7 - 04:24 PM

Diego Tutweiller

But he was only in the movie for ten seconds! And I'm sorry-- the lightsaber duel at the end of The Phantom Menace is JUST as boring as the one in Attack of the Clones.

Sep 14 - 11:48 PM

Jeff P.

Jeff Walken

Not really. The lightsaber duel in Phantom Menace actually had a cool setting and some nice stunt work. The fight in Attack of the Clones takes place in a room the size of a daycare center and everything was all fucking CGI. And Jar Jar was in it more than ten seconds.

Sep 23 - 01:14 AM

Diego Tutweiller

He had one line of dialogue. ONE! And I was happy to see Yoda actually do something. All this time, we had been wondering why he was such a great Jedi. Now we know.

Sep 28 - 10:43 AM

Jeff P.

Jeff Walken

How long has it been since you've watched it? He gave an entire SPEECH to the senate in addition to the scene that he was pointlessly in earlier in the movie. And also, the fight between CGI Yoda and CGI Dooku (with the exception of a few close up shots) was about as interesting as the action scenes in Transformers.

Sep 30 - 06:40 PM

Diego Tutweiller

I did exaggerate a little by saying 'one line of dialogue.' But still, 30 seconds of Binks is better than a whole movie of him. I don't even know why this is up for discussion. And the Yoda/Dooku battle was fine. A lot more interesting than watching Obi-Wan and Darth Vader stand in front of each other slowly swinging lightsabers in Episode IV, I can tell you that. As always, I'm not defending the prequels, I'm just saying that The Phantom Butthole is easily the worst out of all of them. There's no contest.

Oct 12 - 03:53 PM

Jeff P.

Jeff Walken

There's no contest? That's basically saying that Attack of the Clones is somewhat good and that Phantom Menace is the only bad one. Here's the truth: the prequels are all worthy of an F rating. Yes, even the massively overrated piece of shit known as Revenge of the Sith.

Oct 23 - 05:07 PM

Diego Tutweiller

Revenge of the Sith was better than Return of the Jedi. Not that I liked either of them very much... the original Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back are the only two good ones. But I respect Sith for not going into Lucas's typical slapstick gags. No furry bears or Jar-Jar to be found there.

And Attack of the Clones is bad, but it is GOD compared to the shitpile that is The Phantom Menace.

Oct 31 - 07:44 AM

Alex Maverick

Alex Maverick

I already did it, but this time, I'm going in detail:

1. Empire Strikes Back: the best of them all for a few reasons. The stakes are higher, it's darker, Yoda is introduced and he's awesome, we get to see Luke get his ass handed to him by Vader and then gets F bomb dropped in him (F for Father), he gets his hand cut off and Han Solo is captured and frozen. This movie has one of if not the best cliffhanger ending I've ever seen.

2. Star Wars: Fuck "A New Hope." That is a really shitty name. It's just called Star Wars. This being the breakthrough movie that launched the series, it was a very surprising hit. The characters were great, Darth Vader is introduced Ina great way, Alec Guinness kicks ass as Ben Kenobi and the story while simple, was executed brilliantly.

3. Return of the Jedi: The Ewoks are awful. That's my only complaint about this movie. Everything else is awesome. The final battle that happens around the Death Star with the entire rebel fleet is fantastic. The Emperor screwing with Luke's mind and Luke's internal struggle make their scenes very tense. The lightsaber duel between Luke and Vader is great and it feels more personal than their first fight because the audience and Luke are now aware that its Father vs. Son. The ending with Vader killing the Emperor (and not shouting "Noooo!" like a dipshit) is really awesome. Everything else wraps up nicely and we get a satisfying conclusion to a great trilogy.

4. Revenge of the Sith: this movie had a cool lightsaber duel at the end. And.....thats it. Everything else is terrible. To Ewan McGregor's credit, he does a good job with what he's given. But Hayden Christiansen is terrible and well know it. Everything in this movie just happens so fast that it becomes illogical. Anakin goes to stop Mace Windu from killing Palpatine, two seconds later he's a Sith Lord. Wow, great build up. Anakin is a fucking idiot. Palpatine just tells him that the Dark Side is the only way to save his wife. But, as a Jedi, he should know that Sith Lords are evil liars. But no, we get this forced plot device to turn him into Darth Vader. And then in another two seconds, it appears that Palpatine convinces Anakin that EVERY Jedi is in on this plot to destroy the Republic except Anakin. They told every single Jedi in the galaxy except Anakin. Why? Well, they didn't trust him, according to Palpatine. And Anakin believes him! Jesus, this guy is an idiot. And then Palpatine uses "the attempt on my life" to transform the Rwpublic into an Empire. And all the politicians love it. Why? It makes no sense. There was an assassination attempt and so the only logical explanation is to become a tyrannical government? Makes about as much sense as Mr. Freeze's plan in Batman & Robin. And en there's a cool fight scene. That's the only good part about this movie.

5. The Phantom Menace: This and Attack of the Clones would be tied if this didn't have one thing: a cool lightsaber duel. That's it. Everything else sucks. The lightsaber duel between Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon and Darth Maul entertained me. Not anything else in the movie did, though.

6 Attack of the Clones: boring, poorly acted and the fight scenes are just dull. If you can't have interesting dialogue in the movie, at least make up for it with some action. But my god, the lightsaber fight at the end was not fun to watch at all. I would rather watch the 2 minute fight between Vader and Obi-Wan in the original film. Nothing in this movie works.

Aug 25 - 11:22 AM

Filmjoy

Filmjoy *

1. The Empire Strikes Back

2. Star Wars

3. Return of the Jedi

That's all.

Aug 17 - 03:43 AM

Diego Tutweiller

I agree. I shall raise my children to believe that there were only three Star Wars movies.

Aug 23 - 05:09 PM

RoHiT

Good Looking RoHiT

Don't worry about that , Diego. You're gonna remain 'single' forever.

Sep 12 - 06:27 AM

Diego Tutweiller

*Yawn* Pathetic.

Sep 14 - 11:49 PM

Magnus Grant

Magnus Grant

The Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi
Revenge of the Sith (I don't care what people think. Lucas blew me away with Episode III)
A New Hope
Attack of the Clones
The Phantom Menace (BTW, I like the prequels. Burn me at the stake if you must).
The Clone Wars (And people think the prequels were awful)
Ewok Adventure: Caravan of Courage (didn't see the other Ewok film)
The Holiday Special (as a massive Star Wars geek, the Holiday Special is honestly one of the worst films I've ever seen)

Aug 13 - 02:44 PM

Diego Tutweiller

Oh God, I forgot about The Clone Wars...

Aug 30 - 09:38 PM

Andres C.

Andres Carlos

1. Empire strikes Back
2. A new hope
3. Return of the Jedi
4. Revenge of the sith
5. Attack of the clones
6. The phantom menace
7. The clone wars series

Aug 1 - 04:56 AM

The Tall Man

Jebediah Morningside

1. Revenge of the sith
2. Empire Strikes Back
3. A New Hope
4. Retern of the Jedi
5. Attack of the Clones
6. Phantom Menace

Jul 31 - 01:21 PM

Andrew Furlong

Andrew Furlong

1. Revenge of the Sith
2. Tie between A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back
3. Return of the Jedi
4. The Phantom Menace
5. Attack of the Clones

Jul 26 - 07:29 AM

Alex Maverick

Alex Maverick

Empire Strikes Back
Star Wars
Return of the Jedi
Revenge of the Sith
The Phantom Menace
Attack of the Clones

Jul 19 - 11:11 PM

Diego Tutweiller

The Phantom Menace ahead of something? Blasphemy!

Jul 24 - 01:08 PM

Alex Maverick

Alex Maverick

Well, considering that those bottom three movies never happened, I fail to see the importance of their ranking.

Aug 25 - 10:59 AM

Willem DaPerson

Willem DaPerson

The Empire Strikes Back
Star Wars
Revenge of The Sith (Yeah, sue me)
Return of The Jedi
The Phantom Menace
Attack of The Clones

Jul 14 - 10:09 AM

Richard Hall

Richard Hall

Jul 14 - 05:14 AM

Barrel Scraper

Barrel Scraper

1. Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope
3. Return of the Jedi
4. Revenge of the Sith
5. Attack of the Clones
6. The Phantom Menace

Basic list.

Jul 8 - 06:11 AM

Diego Tutweiller

Time for some blasphemy:

1) The Empire Strikes Back. The best Star Wars movie, and one of the best sci-fi films of all time. It ends in the double-whammy of "I love you" "I know" and "I am your father." That shit blew my mind when I was a kid.

2) A New Hope. Only a movie as great as Empire could have bumped this from number one. Still pretty damn good.

3) Revenge of the Sith. Yes, I liked this movie. Don't run me out on a rail. The scene where Vader takes his first breaths gives me goosebumps, and I fucking love General Grievous. Also, it's the only prequel with no Jar-Jar. So I guess Lucas caught the fuck on.

4) Return of the Jedi. And before you start sending me hate mail, the Ewoks basically killed the franchise for me. It is great except for that shit, though-- the Emperor's death and the Sarlacc Pit are two of my favorite scenes in the franchise. I don't consider this shitty, but it's a massive step down from the first two.

5) Attack of the Clones. Okay, now THIS is shitty. "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating... and it gets everywhere." That line alone basically solidified my hatred of this film. Still, it has good action and a memorable subplot with Obi-Wan, which is more than I can say for...

6) The Phantom Menace. I hate this film with a passion. You would think that a movie boasting Liam Neeson, Natalie Portman, and Ewan McGregor would be guaranteed some points in my book, but you would think wrong. Jake Lloyd sporting a bowl cut, that lame-ass podrace, the worst villain of all time (Darth Maul, who I think says one line of dialogue in the whole film), and JAR-JAR MOTHERFUCKING BINKS doomed this painful mess from the start.

Jun 24 - 06:47 PM

John Tyler

J *

I can watch Episodes I & II as timewasters. Episode III was pretty damn good. And TBH, I actually didn't mind the Ewoks. I felt they were a decent addition to the franchise.

Jun 26 - 03:14 PM

Diego Tutweiller

My theory is that people who saw the Ewoks as kids loved them, and people who saw them when they were older hated them. I fall into the latter group; but when did you first see Return of the Jedi?

Jun 29 - 08:32 PM

Josiah Coulter

Josiah Coulter

I've always liked the Ewoks... Akeeata!

Jul 6 - 07:28 PM

Diego Tutweiller

Yeah, no... they're teddy bear licensing material.

Jul 13 - 10:49 AM

Willem DaPerson

Willem DaPerson

Wow, would you believe that your theory perfectly echoes How i Met Your Mother?

Jul 14 - 10:11 AM

The Tall Man

Jebediah Morningside

Your theory is directly taken from an episode of How I Met Your Mother.

Jul 31 - 01:24 PM

Diego Tutweiller

It's true nonetheless... whatever. I don't really watch that show.

Aug 23 - 05:10 PM

Alex Maverick

Alex Maverick

Dearth Maul was the best character in the movie (because he never had to read the terrible dialogue).

Jul 4 - 08:59 PM

Alex Maverick

Alex Maverick

Darth Maul was the best character in Episode 1 (because he never had to speak the terrible dialogue).

Jul 4 - 09:00 PM

Diego Tutweiller

I thought Liam Neeson was okay... but he could have been great if only someone had given him good dialogue and more screen time.

Jul 4 - 10:02 PM

Alex M.

Alex Mueller

oops, a new hope is better than attack of the clones

Jun 10 - 12:56 PM

Alex M.

Alex Mueller

1)The Empire Strikes Back or Return of the Jedi
2)The Revenge of the Sith
3)The Attack of the Clones
4)A New Hope
5)The Phantom Menace (Die Jar Jar, die!!!!)

Jun 9 - 11:57 AM

Mackenzie Herren

Mackenzie Herren

1) Revenge of the Sith
2) The Empire Strikes Back
3) A New Hope
4) Return of the Jedi
5) Attack of the Clones
6) The Phantom Menace

I think people can be a little harsh on the prequels, but that is besides the point

***NOTE: 1-4, switch constantly for me.

I think that a true fan loves all the films. We can't get mad at George Lucas for the Prequels. This series is his vision, he can do what he wants with it. Still, it is one of the greatest film series EVER!

Jun 1 - 06:24 PM

Magnus Grant

Magnus Grant

Thank you. As a prequel fan myself, there's some comfort in another fan admitting some appreciation for them. I always have to deal with people on this site and on IMDb calling me an imbecile and telling me I need help just because I thought Episodes I and II (and possibly III) were good films. I have to agree that Revenge of the Sith is better than the original and Lucas' best film as a director even if his scriptwriting and working with actors isn't always that great (which I thought were problems in the original films as well, even though I love them dearly) but I thought that had some of the best acting in the saga, particularly from Ian McDiarmid, Ewan McGregor and even poor Hayden Christensen who did better here than in Episode II.

Aug 13 - 02:53 PM

J.s. Smith

J.s. Smith

Now this I can respect.

Sep 14 - 05:48 PM

President Pedro

President Pedro

1- Empire Strikes Back
2- Star Wars
3- Return of the Jedi
4- Revenge of the Sith
5- Phantom Menace
6- Attack of the Clones
7- Clone Wars

May 16 - 07:53 PM

Mark Angelini

Mark Angelini

1. The Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope
3. Return of the Jedi
4. Revenge of the Sith
5. Attack of the Clones
6. The Phantom Menace

May 15 - 01:38 PM

Hats

Bart Higginstien

1.) The Phantom Menace (1,000,000/10)
2.) Attack of the Clones (500,000/10)
3.) Revenge of the Sith (100/10
4.) Return of the Jedi (-0/1,000,000)
5.) A new Hope (--0/1,000000000000,00000000)
6.) Empire Strikes Back (-----0/infinity)

May 12 - 10:02 AM

John Tyler

J *

I'll give you this number:
1-207-404-2604.

She'll help you get rid of your psyche.

May 18 - 04:20 PM

Hats

Bart Higginstien

I hope you realize this was a joke...

May 25 - 12:42 PM

John Tyler

J *

I did. Mine was a joke too.

May 26 - 05:11 PM

Josiah Coulter

Josiah Coulter

1. Revenge of the Sith
2. The Empire Strikes Back
3. A New Hope
4. Return of the Jedi
5. Attack of the Clones
6. The Phantom Menace
7. The Clone Wars

May 8 - 07:14 PM

President Pedro

President Pedro

Revenge of the Sith at number one? Interesting.

May 26 - 04:07 PM

Diego Tutweiller

It's actually a really good movie, people just tend to lump it in with the other prequels because they sucked so bad.

Jun 24 - 06:48 PM

President Pedro

President Pedro

I have mixed feelings with it, but I really enjoyed it for a long time, especially when it came out. But my expectations were very, very low so that may explain a lot.

Jun 28 - 05:36 PM

Diego Tutweiller

Good point. Nobody thought it was going to be any good because of Attack of the Clones and The Phantom Menace. But I thought it exceeded expectations fairly well.

Jun 29 - 08:36 PM

President Pedro

President Pedro

Episode III felt like it could of been at the same level as the original trilogy at times. The action had a purpose most of the times instead of just being there to sell toys, but the dialogue is really what killed it at times. Also, the CGI was still heavy, but again, the story gave it purpose, something the previous two didn't accomplish.

Jun 30 - 10:06 AM

Diego Tutweiller

I think what really made it work is its PG-13 rating. It's the only Star Wars film (thus far) to not get PG. See, originally, Lucas could get away with putting more intense sequences in the films and get PG (because PG-13 didn't exist and nobody wanted to give them R). But when PG-13 was made, he dialed it back too much to keep the PG rating and we ended up with shitty kid's movies. Revenge of the Sith really diverted from that formula, and that's why it's one of my favorites.

Jun 30 - 02:55 PM

President Pedro

President Pedro

If Disney builds off that formula, they may have something very special on their hands.

Jul 1 - 05:10 PM

Josiah Coulter

Josiah Coulter

I agree with everything you guys have said for the most part. I sincerely hope the Star Wars films from Disney are PG-13 because we need darker Star Wars films like Sith and Empire.

Jul 6 - 07:26 PM

Diego Tutweiller

Can you imagine Quentin Tarantino directing an R-rated Star Wars trilogy? That would be badass.

Jul 13 - 10:50 AM

President Pedro

President Pedro

I'd camp out for that easily.

Jul 14 - 06:41 PM

Diego Tutweiller

Samuel L. Jackson would have to return as Mace Windu's force ghost.

"WHAT DOES OBI-WAN KENOBI LOOK LIKE TO YOU? DOES HE LOOK LIKE A BITCH?"

Jul 16 - 08:08 AM

President Pedro

President Pedro

I think that'll be the case for Disney's Star Wars, they made Marvel PG-13 and managed to improve it greatly; I have full faith in them, yet do worry about them getting greddy.

Jul 6 - 07:56 PM

Jeff P.

Jeff Walken

Empire Strikes Back
Star Wars
Return of the Jedi
Revenge of the Sith
The Phantom Menace
Attack of the Clones

May 8 - 01:31 PM

David Lo Pan

EntertainMeOrDie .

#6 Attack of the Clones - easily worse than "PM" because of its atrocious acting/effects overload and a boring plot.
#5 Phantom Menace - Acting... pretty bad but it's still an entertaining SW movie if you close your ears every time Jar Jar is on screen.
#4 Revenge of the Sith - Better acting and better story, but still fails on several levels when it comes to script writing and other technical issues.
#3 A New Hope - This is my least favorite of the original trilogy because the stories and SFX improved later on from here; it's still a great movie no matter what, though.
#2 Empire Strikes Back - Everyone may think it's the best SW film but to be honest, it's good and all, but I disliked some of the acting and the ending was too rushed.
#1 Return of the Jedi - This is the best because of the closure and the mature emotions we get out of Luke when he is fighting his father to the death. The story is more complicated and makes for some better action and a marvelous, tear jerking ending. Easily the best... you know, if you don't have bitchy ass Hayden Christensen as a ghost for no fucking reason.

May 8 - 11:56 AM

Andrew Targaryen

Andrew Targaryen

A New Hope
Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi
Revenge of the Sith
Phantom Menace
Attack of the Clones

May 8 - 04:12 AM

Troy McGraw

Troy McGraw

1)The Original Trilogy
2) Clone Wars (the original 2D cartoon)
3) The Phantom Menace
4) Revenge of the Sith
5) Attack of the Clones
...I do believe each film in the prequel trilogy has its merits...as for The Clone Wars, I don't consider that a film.

May 7 - 12:24 PM

Josiah Coulter

Josiah Coulter

I didn't mind The Clone Wars so much -- I love the TV show (the 2003 and 2008 show) -- but they should have picked a better storyline arc to edit into a movie. The Rotta the Hutt storyline was just a little too kid-oriented for me and should have been aired as separate episodes. The "Malevolence" story arc that comprised episodes 2, 3 and 4 of the first season should have been edited to be the movie because it is way more intriguing and epic.

May 9 - 12:50 AM

Diego Tutweiller

It pretty much all sucks.

Jun 30 - 02:55 PM

Josiah Coulter

Josiah Coulter

Not really. There are some great stories in the series.

Nov 4 - 12:14 AM

Bill J.

Bill Johnson

Harry Potter: Prisoner of Azkaban
Harry Potter: Deathly Hallows
Harry Potter: The Sorcerer's Stone
Harry Potter: A Half-Blood prince

May 6 - 09:44 PM

Find us on:                     
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile