Star Wars: Holiday Special - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Star Wars: Holiday Special Reviews

May 15, 2012
Having nothing to do in essence with the Star Wars franchise, this special ran on CBS in 1978, a year after A New Hope first hit theaters. What ensued in this special was flagrant idiocy on a national level, merging with the variety show ascetic that was popular at the time. Network executives and hack writers put this together for a two hour special during Christmas, featuring much of the original cast from the first film, and introducing a Wookie family, having Chewbacca as the patriarch. The family is about a fourth of the entire special and don't speak audible English or any other distinguishable language, instead resorting to grunts and moans. It's disgusting and rude to say the least, and makes a mockery of the serious nature of the Star Wars films, and the ardent support of the legion of fans. Today we as fans, do not view this as part of that universe, though it undoubtedly is. George Lucas had no say in the special, and has been reported as saying that "If I had the time and a sledgehammer, I would track down every copy of that show and smash it." It was only shown on television once, and never re-aired or put out on videocassette. The fans instead copied it onto tape, and almost anyone can get a copy through the underground movement within different science fiction and fantasy conventions. The tapes have the original commercials, fuzzy picture quality, and cut in and out at times. Still, this atrocious creation has to be seen by the masses, because it features even more ugliness than can be imagined, including songs from Diane Carroll and Jefferson Starship, as well as a Boba Fett cartoon from before he became the boss bounty hunter in Return of the Jedi. There are cameos from Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, and Mark Hamill as well as C3PO and R2D2 popping up in scenes. The ending, which is also equally grotesque and unwatchable, ends with something called "Life Day," a celebration that I can't address or explain, but is apparently what holds interest throughout. Just a magnificently idiotic waste of time and effort, but still a blight worth watching and buying in the darkness of a con.
December 28, 2010
Don't hate it, just enjoy it, sure it's not an epic adventure or anything, but it's something enjoyable to watch on Christmas break when you've nothing to do! I really liked it, there are a lot of nice songs, especially the Jefferson Starship one, and an awesome cartoon, and there's an exciting adventure with Han and Chewie trying to get home for "Light Day". Who cares if there's no such thing as "Light Day"? Just have fun with this movie.
½ April 24, 2010
For years I've heard rumors of this terrifyingly bad shit stain. It's worse. Much worse. The biggest problem is how confusing it all is. What was the point? Did anybody have any ideas when making this. We are treated to about 20 minutes of a wookie family, growling at each other with no subtitles. It seems as though they are trying to set up a plot. Later we watch, as Chewbacca's wife watches a cooking show. A cooking show hosted by a man in drag, in black-face. There's singing, dancing, and a cartoon. The cartoon is at least enjoyable enough, even if Han Solo does look like some retarded hillbilly. The original actors show up and seem o immediately regret it. Curiousness leads to hilarity, hilarity leads to annoyance, annoyance...leads to suffering. Your suffering.
November 19, 2009
Besides the amazing first appearance of Boba Fett, this is a complete joke and I can see exactly why George Lucas refuses to release this. It is corny and completely pointless. It serves no purpose in the Star Wars universe and should be avoided at all measures.
skactopus
½ December 10, 2008
So this is the Star Wars: Holiday Special. Well, there is nothing special about this thing except that it is a special piece of crap. Seriously, this is UNWATCHABLE. The commercials are the highlights of this monstrosity.First, the main characters are wookies. Sure, Chewbacca goes hand in hand with Han Solo, but after the first 5 minutes of stupid looking fur balls walking around making noises with NO subtitles, you need to get some Tylenol because the headache you will have is nearly unbearable. Watching a wookie watch a cooking show is embarrassing enough.Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, and Harrison Ford are in this pathetic example of a TV film, but they have very small roles in this 100 minute excrement of a Bantha.I know this is the 1970s, but that is no excuse for the cheesy sound effects and visuals. The wookie facial expressions make you want to look away in shame and the animation at the halfway point of this foolish flick is a disaster. I don't care if it is the first appearance of Boba Fett. I can wait until The Empire Strikes Back.What is up with all the unnecessary singing and dancing? Why are the scenes even in there? H***, why make this ridiculous special anyway. I don't blame George Lucas for wanting to destroy every copy of this worthless piece of junk.This underachieving pile of vomit is a serious waste of time. I've seen Blood of the Samurai and In the Name of the King; so I know about wasting time. I don't care if you are a Star Wars fan because there is a very good chance that you won't be after this.
½ January 29, 2008
This thing is horrible. It's the most low budget thing in the world. The only saving grace is the cartoon in it that shows us Bobba Fett for the first time and even that is really bad. If you need to see it then only watch it for the car crash value.
puffchunk
½ October 25, 2007
I am a huge star wars fan, and this...even this is too terrible to behold. I was so excited to see it, and after seeing chewies stupid family (lumpy, dumpy, poopy), and seeing princess leia sing and then some hologram dancing garbage, I lost several respect points for the trillogy as a whole. Protect your love of star wars. Don't see this.
July 14, 2007
Slow and long in parts. It should've been edited down half length to be more exciting. It had a tacky variety show feeling, with lame jokes and show-songs over action, which is what all the kids would've preferred. Most of the humour is groan-worthy. I liked the little acrobats on the chess board. Some of the musical numbers were torture to sit through. I guess the 70's television viewers were used to variety shows all the time. Chewbacca's Wookie family was hilarious. The sets looked very cardboard. The inserted footage of Darth Vader looked inserted. Harrison, Mark and Carrie really weren't into this thing, were they? We appreciate that Mark Hamill sexied himself up with eye makeup for the occassion. Harrison Ford looked almost as bored as he did in Return of the Jedi. Carrie Fisher was really into her song at the end; we thank her for that. Oh, awesome cartoon in the middle with a preview of Boba Fett; better than the Clone Wars cartoon.
½ May 7, 2007
I'd rather gouge my eyes out with a spork...or take a lot of shrooms first!
garyX
½ April 4, 2007
I feel I must clear something up right now. This is not so bad it's good. It has NOT got kitsch entertainment value. Even for the biggest Star Wars fans in the world. It IS the worst thing you are EVER going to see. Really. It has Carrie Fischer singing an unbelievably cheeseball song while people dressed as teddy bears float around with candles. Wookies cooking their dinner for a solid 15 minutes while NOTHING goes on. Imagine the WORST TV christmas special you've ever seen. Except 100 times worse than that; it makes the Star Wars episode of The Muppet Show look like Dostoyevsky. Just DON'T DO IT.
nuheart
December 26, 2006
MY EYES!! MY EYES!!
December 20, 2015
I love Star Wars, but this was the weirdest thing I've ever seen.
½ March 2, 2007
After the original Star Wars in 1977 (which I am also interested in watching with RiffTrax), Mark Hamill played Luke Skywalker on a Bob Hope Christmas Comedy Special and an episode of The Muppet Show, as well as on this never re-aired televised Holiday Special. Can you imagine if this had been the extent of the Star Wars franchise??

A friend's parents recorded this on VHS along with all the commercial breaks. The guys from Mystery Science Theater 3000 recorded RiffTrax with the prime time commercials included, as well. I watched this with RiffTrax, which made it slightly better, however it was the old 70s commercials that had the most entertainment value. Several of the central cast members from the movie make appearances for the celebration of Life Day, the Wookie X-Mas holiday that Chewie's family celebrates. Even with comedians Bea Arthur, Art Carney, and Harvey Korman, and a batch of comic writers, the humor is all unintentional. The original cast tries to maintain a level of seriousness, but the script is just plain awful.
December 22, 2013
Happy Life Day. Worse than you could ever imagine, The Star Wars Holiday Special lives up to its reputation. Unbearable to watch, it's just amazing how atrocious Star Wars can be in the wrong hands. George Lucas tried to wipe The Star Wars Holiday Special off of the face of the earth, but the power of the Dark Side was too strong.
December 15, 2015
This is the only thing Star Wars creator; George Lucas has since distanced himself from, in the entire history of the Star Wars franchise. This awful television Christmas/Holiday special has hardly any sense of a complete plot, neither does it reflect the true vision, ingenuity, technicality or story world depth of the Star Wars Universe. In fact it almost feels like a parody of the franchise overall, mostly due to it's shoddy and camp production value, weird mind-fucking skits and downright terrible scripting that was bad enough for the main cast of the original film to return to. I might give it some credit for the skits and clips having their moments of almost sparse ironic entertainment mostly associated with the para-cinematic value of Star Wars, eg. Boba Fett cartoon and Cantina musical scene. Everything else is just downright terrible, it makes the Prequel Trilogy look like "The Godfather", you really just have to see this thing to believe it, and No!!! I don't encourage it on any level (just stay away from it).
June 18, 2007
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!
½ September 5, 2010
In serious competition for worst movie I've ever seen. At least you'll be in stitches.
Double.Dubs
December 27, 2011
Why
shitfaced8
½ March 1, 2009
My quest for the shittiest movie ever made has led me to some smelly places indeed, but very vew of those places come close to the stench that this little known, made for TV pile exhibits. Seriously this is truly awful. Substantial portions of this movie involve a family of Wookie's grunting at each other. While this might sound so bizarre that it has to be good, trust me, it's just bad. The only positive thing I really have to say about this movie is the Bobo Fett cartoon, which looked cool but was underdeveloped. The general story of Chewbacca going home to visit his family for "Life Day" on the other hand is both underdeveloped and unintresting. Stay away from this one at all costs unless your a Star Wars fanatic, who needs to see this, just so your able to say you've seen it.