Star Wars Trilogy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Star Wars Trilogy Reviews

July 3, 2011
Just got all six on Blu-ray, and they look spectacular.
DreamExtractor
August 4, 2011
I won this in a costume contest when I was 10, haha.
May 27, 2010
This is THE Trilogy.

A New Hope:

The sci-fi fantasy. There is nothing else that even comes close to being as epic and visually stunning as Star Wars. It takes the classic stories about adventure and throws them into space. Some of the most iconic characters of all time. I don't know what to say other than it is one of the most precious things to me, I don't know where i'd be if it didn't exist.

The Empire Strikes Back:

If I had to pick out my favorite Star Wars, this would definitely be it. This is when they got to the center of the plot and you got to know exactly what is inside the mask of the greatest villain of all time. It's not the fairy tale that A New Hope was, which was one of the best improvements. It shows you what happens after you become the hero and what it takes to become a legend.

Return of the Jedi:

It was a great finish to the Star Wars saga and a conclusion to Darth Vader's story. The Emperor was a nice representation of pure evil and complimented Luke's goodness quite well. It had some great effects sequences even by today's standards. It had a few campy elements here and there, but overall, it's still a great movie.
December 2, 2011
I won this in a costume contest when I was 10, haha.
January 24, 2012
First time or one hundreth time I still love the series starting with IV thru VI then I thru III.
In which order do you watch them?
September 13, 2011
The best trilogy ever except for back to the future. I don't care for the new ones. I like the origional.
July 29, 2011
There is no way this series can receive a bad review. It will get nothing less than 100% from myself.
July 29, 2011
Im not going to lie... I fairly enjoyed all the Star Wars movies. But I really dont see whats so special about them. I know the effects were good for their time and all, and i think thats why these movies got so popular. The story isnt all the different and great. And people who say there can only be one trilogy and this is it.... You are greatly mistaken. That would be the Lord of the Rings Trilogy.
July 13, 2010
With ground-breaking special effects that paved the way for today's most successful special effects company, ILM, as well as numerous other film-industry-related companies, as well as so many of today's greatest films. The Star Wars Trilogy has all that a film trilogy could ever need. Perfect special effects for it's time, outstanding acting, and unbeatable action, including lightsaber duels, and massive space battles, Star Wars is really a show that makes you think, and lets you appreciate how much one person can achieve with a simple dream of space-fantasy.
May 26, 2010
All 3 of these films deserve a 10/10.

Fantastic Trilogy. I believe I got it on the day it came out.

Stars: *****
Score: 10/10
½ May 21, 2010
This will be a review of the newer versions of the old classics. Back in the 90s, Lucas decided to use the technology he had access to and make further enhancements. In 1997, he re-released the films with the enhancements in theaters in honor of the 20th anniversary. In 2004, he released a special DVD box set with even further enhancements. The reactions these newer versions got had mixed results. Some were able to ignore the fact that they added CGI, and some felt that the artificial look just felt out of place. But you're not here to listen to me talk about other people. What are my initial thoughts?

Allow me to break it down and review each movie one at a time.

Episode IV: Unless there's a side-by-side comparison, I don't really notice the small changes they made to the ships and such. What I can see are some entirely redone scenes, such as the scene in Mos Eisely, and the scene where the X-Wings are going past Yavin to the Death Star. The CGI in those scenes do look pretty artificial, but there are a few select scenes that actually feel more exciting and less repetitive than the original scenes. As for Greedo shooting first, I do feel that the 1997 version of that scene was pretty stupid, but in the 2004 version, it almost looks like both Greedo and Han shoot at the same time, which makes perfect sense. Why would Greedo wait to shoot? It's a little ironic that people complain about Han letting Greedo shoot first when Greedo shouldn't have waited for Han to shoot in the first place. I also thought the deleted scene with Jabba was completely unnecessary, and I would've preferred that Jabba looked as big as he did in Episode VI. I know Han was supposed to make eye contact, but it made Jabba seem less powerful for him to be that short.

Episode V: The only addition I have to complain about was the addition of the ice monster in his cave when Luke was reaching for his lightsaber. It just feels out of place, comes off as unnecessary, and..... I don't know...... I felt the original version of that scene where they only showed close-ups gave him sort of a mysterious personality. Apart from that, however, all the additions either go unnoticed in my eyes or come off as beneficial. The scenes where Han is fighting Tie Fighters in the asteroid fields were a lot more exciting this time around. Furthermore, the scene where Darth Vader talks with the Emperor seems to fill a big gap that really confused me when I was younger. In the original version, he's totally different from the Emperor in Episode VI. They fix that in this newer version, and it works quite well.

Episode VI: A lot of people agree that the worst addition Lucas brought in was the new song scene in Jabba's palace. But to be fair, was the original version any better? The original version was dull and boring, not having a whole lot of energy. What Lucas shot for in this newer version was allowing these characters to express themselves a bit more. It's more energetic than the original version, but both versions pretty much suck. The only other notable thing they added in off the top of my head was an alternate ending. I absolutely loved the new ending to Episode VI. It gave a better sense of both peace and accomplishment, galaxy wide. The only problem I have with the ending is that Hayden Christensen was added in for consistency. Nice try, but he still doesn't fit the role.

The bottom line is that these new additions don't really distract from the golden feel of these films. They're still incredible sci-fi classics worth coming back to as often as possible. Some of these additions actually benefit the franchise, just as Lucas planned. So, don't worry about those other scenes. Just sit back and enjoy the campy sci-fi adventures while they're still around.
January 22, 2010
for my 150th review. i decided to review the entire original Star Wars trilogy for a celebration. Also, since I'm reviewing a collection of movies, i decided to be more constructive in my reviewing, by telling you the top 5 reasons why Star Wars (in general)is so great.

reason #1: imagination

This reason is self explanatory. After all, how does he come up with a British robot(C-3PO).

reason #2: Memorable moments

whether it's Luke Skywalker staring off into the sunset with the two sun's, or even the first time the lightsaber was seen in action.

reason #3: These movies are awesome!

reason #4: The action

George Lucas was able to make the audience sit at the edge of there seats in many ways, and the action in these movies were one of them.

reason #5: the story

The story for the trilogy is perfect in every way. Even though it's hard to explain, the story can make you fall in love with this movie every time you watch it.

So in short, Star Wars gave us a whole new world that gave us great memories that us fans will never forget.
September 5, 2008
Star Wars was the seminal space opera, a Bachelor of Science in Space Opera (BSSO.) No alien bar scene will ever even equal that Star Wars first one. Everything about this movie cried block buster from act 1 scene 1: a) the casting was perfect, b) the set design was perfect, c) the costume design was perfect, d) hell, everything was perfect.

The Empire Strikes Back was a step up from Star Wars, a Master of Science in Space Opera (MSSO.) The scene where thsy survive using the body heat of their beast of burden is another classic. Everything was perfect again.

Return of the Jedi completed the trilogy to perfection, a Doctor of Science in Space Opera (DSSO.) Yoda, "Luke, I am your father," happy ever after!
May 14, 2008
[color=darkorange]These are some of the movies that inspired the people of America and the World.[/color]
½ September 28, 2007
[font=arial][size=-1] [/size][/font][font=arial][size=-1]Star Wars.

Arguably one of the most important film franchises in all of the history of Hollywood.
The creation of the blockbuster-mega epic movie trilogy and catalyst to countless spoofs, homage's and directly-inspired stories for years to come.
While Episode IV: A New Hope started it all, many feel it is the weaker visually but by all other standard superb. I do feel that without the first (the only one directed by Lucas)there would be no measuring stick with which to compare the rest, however for myself The Return of the Jedi was the most enjoyable of all. The Ewoks, Jabba, Boba Fett, The Second Death Star, Lando Calrizian, The Moon of Endor, the Slave Barge and Renkor Pit, Darth Vader's final confrontation as well as the Emperor's defeat and the triumph of the Rebellion.

Meanwhile, most will say that The Empire Strikes Back is their favorite with the trainging of Luke by Yoda, Han and Lea's burgeoning romance and the impending doom of the Rebels situation and apparent defeat at the end of the film!
Not to mention "The Revelation" of Darth Vader as Luke's father.

Although Empire's story arc is incomplete, it is the darkest of the trilogy, and therefore stands alone.
But, I have to go with the epic scale and climatic nature of Jedi's frenetic fast-paced action as my favorite film of the series.
Farleydave3[/size][/font]
January 10, 2007
It gets all zeroes from me. "Eragon" gets only a one. It like Star Wars was a waste of my time and money.
January 10, 2007
[font=Arial Black][color=red][b]Yes not that great certainly not what Star Wars geeks make them out to be.[/b][/color][/font]
January 8, 2007
hi movie goers! i liked the presitge a lot and also wanted to add my opinion on the star wars franchise. there are a lot of us who thought it was horrible despite harrison ford's cuteness and i don't think its all just women although i happen to be one of them.
½ January 3, 2007
Star Wars. Nah uh [b]not for me[/b] and not for many others as I see. What would I recommend to you instead for a really good movie? Go see [b]Blood Diamond.[/b]
January 2, 2007
I seeing that others than SW fans are posting here. Good to see. These movies are the most overrated movies ever in Hollywood. Thin plots, cartoon like characters. A big zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz from me.