67% The Maze Runner Sep 19

Stargate Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

November 3, 2013
Stargate is the second Roland Emmerich feature, and is a flawed, but somewhat enjoyable effort from a director who is very hit and miss. Stargate is a fun, entertaining picture that is visually stunning and boasts some pretty good performances. Although far from perfect, this film isn't as bad as it seems, but it does have a few weak moments. I feel that that if the script would have been better thought out, this film really could have been a highly engaging, thrilling and memorable sci fi adventure. As it is, it's a good film that unfortunately has a few elements missing to really make it a standout feature. Nonetheless, the film doers boast good action to make up for the weak moments that are found throughout. I really liked the film, and considering it was directed by Roland Emmerich, it's a pretty good effort. There are enough effective moments to keep you interested, but like I said, you are left wanting more as the scripts limitations do show up. The story should be reworked, but overall, film buffs who enjoy mindless action films, should give this film a chance. Even with all its imperfections, Stargate is an underrated film, one that doesn't deserve the flack it has received. There are far worst films out there, and Emmerich has directed far worst movies than this. Stargate, along with Independence Day are his finest works, and display a certain element from a director that most of the time, can't seem to craft a good film. This is good fun with all its flaws, and it's not as bad as what the mainstream critics have said about. Yes, the script should have been better written, with a few revisions here and there, but there's still effective entertainment to be had here.
Al S

March 14, 2013
A spectacular and tremendously enjoyable sci-fi epic. An instant classic in it's own right. A wickedly entertaining and explosive action-adventure that's loaded with eye-popping special effects, great humor and non-stop thrills from start to finish. A heart-pounding and mind-blowing action-packed thrill-ride that hits alll the right notes. A full-throttle roller-coaster ride that dose not let up for an instant. James Spader and Kurt Russell are terrific. Director, Ronald Emmerich crafts one of his finest and most incredible movies ever.
michael e.
michael e.

January 8, 2011
Its really random plot is a little awkward for a sci fi movie and some of the parts but it is fairly decent for a sci fi movie
ScoopOnline
ScoopOnline

February 19, 2008
The Original one was watchable and I like James Spader.
Conner R

November 18, 2009
No, it's not the best movie ever, but it's a near perfect popcorn movie. One of the few times that Roland Emmerich didn't try to become too self important. Kurt Russell and James Spader were great together and really made the movie enjoyable. The plot was also really well done and brought something new to the sci-fi genre. The conspiracy theory aspect in this worked (unlike Emmerich's other films) because it wasn't trying to be taken seriously, it's just pure sci-fi adventure. The effects were great for the look they were going for (very similar to Dune).
Anthony L

September 21, 2009
I've caught the series a couple of times on TV and it doesn't look that bad, so I guess this film wasn?t such a waste of time after all, because when it came out it really did feel like a wasted idea.
Phil H

September 4, 2007
When this came out it was huge, and its not bad. There are alot of rips from other films..Star Wars springs to mind, but this is quite original and looks good. The Egyptian ideas are nice and they work well but the plot was abit all over the place. Cast is ok, not bad, wish they could have made the aliens abit more less human looking. Its average fun, nothing special, the effects are good but there's nothing to write home about. Unfortunatley it started another 'Star Trek' type TV series which goes on and on and on, boring.
Red L

April 28, 2009
It is weird seeing the movie after you have seen the series. We've seen the premise a hundred times already. Also I find it difficult to understand how Ra can build things like spaceships and StarGates when he can't repel a measly rabble of locals.

But the movie is for entertainment, right? No point on dwelling on logic.
skactopus
skactopus

October 16, 2008
Director, Roland Emmerich is no stranger when it comes to science fiction. His resume shows impressive films (Independence Day) and not so impressive films (Godzilla). Stargate is an impressive film.When I say impressive, I don't mean it in the way of flashy CG and futuristic cities. In fact, this film takes place in the modern day, albeit it is on another planet with a historical setting. What really makes this film stick out so much is the story, which is a great science fiction tale with a lot of potential. There is nothing like the fact of being able to transport instantly to another world.Stargate isn't about the action, but the run time is just over 2 hours and it goes by pretty quickly. You become engrossed in the story that even the slow parts actually mean something.The CG is great, especially for an early 90s film. It doesn't overdue it either. David Arnold does a wonderful job with the score, leaving a memorable theme, and the sound effects are also a strong part of this movie. The sound of the teleportation devices are really enjoyable and it is a shame they don't use them more.There is a good cast of characters. James Spader fits the role of Daniel Jackson, while Kurt Russell, sporting the flat top, delivers as Colonel Jack O' Neil. It is also interesting to see French Stewart in a serious military role. As for the villain, Jaye Davidson is a good Ra.It is true that Stargate may not be for everyone, but we do owe it to this movie for paving way for a great television series in Stargate: SG-1.
CloudStrife84
CloudStrife84

April 10, 2007
Cool and original concept-wise, but the script as a whole leaves much to desire. What still makes it into an above average sci-fi film though is its appealing sense of wonder and excitement (an attribute which also later came to permeate through the tie-in series, Stargate SG-1, which I've personally grown to become quite a big fan of).
Aaron N

June 21, 2006
Lt. General W.O. West: So you think you've solved in fourteen days what they couldn't solve in two years?

Aliens have mastered interstellar travel, but still need slave labor to build their pyramids. It's an Egyptian/Sci-Fi/Adventure, that is mostly dumb fun. I used to give this movie a bad wrap, but watching it again made me realize that it is a fun movie for the most part, and that's what counts.

The story is fairly neat. It involves a device that can transport people millions of light years away, found in Egypt.

James Spader is an Egyptologyst sent to figure this thing out. Soon he does, and so he joins a team headed up by none other than Kurt Russel (always in cool mode) to check things out.

Upon getting their, they arrive in a desert environment, also containing pyramids, learning of an alien race responsible for pyramids.

The movie then becomes a question of how to stop the bad guys, the aliens, and how to make it back through the stargate to home.

It uses a whole bunch of cliches, and drags before getting to the final epic battles, but its an entertaining film due to three things: Spader and Russel are good in their roles, things about ancient Egypt are cool, and the scoring is epic.

This was the big launch for Roland Emmerich who went on to do Independence Day among other big blockbusters, and while they have proven to show how to get a lot of bang for their buck, they also usually prove to be entertaining rides, save for the recent 10,000 BC.

Colonel Jonathan "Jack" O'Neil: Give my regards to King Tut, asshole.
puffchunk
puffchunk

January 26, 2007
Classic adventure stroy with lots of sand.
Summer W

September 3, 2007
I didn't go as bonkers for it as a lot of people I know, and there is better sci-fi, but it was pretty good.
thmtsang
thmtsang

July 21, 2007
Good movie about time travel.
Lafe F

July 6, 2007
What starts out as a small expedition, turns into a huge fantasy space epic. It's got an amazing Egyptian-style world, ruled by a wicked pharoah (Jaye Davidson) with his array of alien guards. It looks great on a big screen. There are huge battles to be won to free the people of the desert from the masters of the pyramids.
Apeneck F

July 5, 2007
how did they squeeze a teevee series out of this? completely supported on the square shoulders of mr. russell
Cindy I

May 16, 2007
OK, but I was jarred by the ending that seemed to say "Oh no. We're running out of film. Wrap it up!"
Dean !

April 29, 2007
A cool action film with good special effects.
garyX
garyX

February 26, 2007
A great idea is wasted in an overblown and underwritten sci-fi full of stereotypes and bog-obvious plot devices. Even the brief and infrequent action sequences are dull. The TV series it spawned, Stargate SG-1, was actually rather better than the film...
sainttom93