63% Hercules Jul 25

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Starship Troopers Reviews

Miles K.
July 20, 2014
A great satire/action horror film, with awesome effects and enough witty predictions of the future to keep you interested.
February 15, 2007
Really fun satire. Humans vs. giant space bugs... how could you not love this.

"M.I. does the dying. Fleet just does the flying."
February 15, 2014
fucking awesome, this is the epiphany of the wretched, trapped in the eternal nightmare of the american dream, stupid kids, bad politicians all wrapped in fuzzy army lingo, this is how it begins, the end of culture, cynical reviewers please go, fuck, yourselves; in the face.
peace out, tune out, fart.
Face of Canada
November 10, 2012
Unexpectedly entertaining, Starship Troopers is a gory, violent B-movie that rises above the usual dross.
June 7, 2014
Starship Troopers is a dazzling Sci-Fi action picture directed by Paul Verhoeven (RoboCop). It is an ultra violent, repulsively thrilling and fun movie that in my opinion is highly underrated. Starship Troopers has the coolest battle sequences, the warfare is brutal and intense.The film has graphics way ahead of its time, thanks to a huge budget of $100 million. Sadly the film suffers from wooden acting, the unknown actors do a passable job, apart from a really annoying actress!
Starship Troopers is so over the top that its a film you just can't take seriously, however this makes it even more enjoyable. The film is based in a fascistic, militaristic future and the storyline is actually very intelligent underneath the gore and humour.
The music by Poledouris is magnificent and helps the film give off a sense of terror.
It is a well crafted, cheesy action Sci-fi flick and is definitely a film worth seeing.
April 6, 2012
Very enjoyable sci-fi satire on war propaganda which has some really intense moments of gore. The futuristic football scene is a personal favourite in showcasing the outlandish future the filmmakers created! It's a guilty pleasure in the best of ways and the special effects surprisingly still hold up! The acting is definitely not oscar worthy, but you gotta love the B-movie cheese and I personally find the movie awesome!
Namor X.
May 28, 2014
a feel good sci-fi movie for those who love crushing space bugs
October 3, 2007
When seeing initial previews for this movie I expected this to be a cheesy and low budget sci film that would not be good at all. I was pleasantly proven wrong as this movie had some of the best action and characters that I have seen in many sci-fci movies. The characters are real, and the interactions they experience between war and training felt genuine. The action was violent and gory, and unpredictable and I never felt like knew who would be killed at any point. The alien/bug design was fantastic, and it was great seeing the different variations of the bugs and what they could do. Starship Troopers is a must watch for any sci-fci fan.
May 18, 2014
In Paul Verhoeven's ludicrous film, young American Johnny Rico must fight to avenge his home town of Buenos Aires, Argentina, after its destruction by an asteroid, propelled through space by a colony of killer insects.

If you are still with me after the above sentence, then Starship Troopers is a film for you. Despite terrible delivery from its cast, the script is funny and clever and the visuals surprisingly good. The movie makes for great entertainment, if you're not out to see Citizen Kane.
April 28, 2014
A far cry from the smart satire of its source material, "Starship Troopers" is cheesy, dumb and cartoonishly entertaining, but the impressive special effects aren't enough to compensate for the hollowness of its characters and plot.
William C.
April 21, 2014
Starship Troopers is a Sci-Fi film that borders on the utterly crazy, but it actually turns out well and with some good old 90's action scenes, makes for a cool feeling film too. The whole thing could be criticised much more but Ii didn't feel it deserved much at all and with the film having humorous parts as well as serious, it makes for fun and thriller all the same. I felt the film was safely kind of good, near being just OK than good but here is why I thought that about this movie.

The story is fast when fighting and slow when not as it should be obviously, but sometimes the film can be maybe just a little slow and ruins any thrills we might get from the characters. I liked the action scenes and the fighting is interesting to say they face such strange creatures throughout, they seem to never know how to kill them properly though. The plot gets better as it goes on, I could feel it was slightly unreasonable as a film but nevertheless it is entertaining and fun all round.

The cast are not the part of the film I would call anywhere good, most seem to falter in battle with wooden acting in the face of possible death, and over the top screaming when injured, the cast don't do such a great job. The main actor and hero Casper Van Dien try's his hardest to get it started but with so much bad acting around it is only a matter of time until it fails in this department. Not all the blame can go on them as I felt acting in such a crazy plot but being serious also must be hard.

I enjoyed the effects a lot and when they are in space not only are the sets for the place extremely good, the entire effects system for the spaceships are fantastic to say it is in the 90's. Scripted averagely and directed the same they never pick up and although not bad, they don't help the film to it's final rating much at all. The creatures are also well done and better effects are known now but still you see the aliens in this and believe they are real(to say that if you are engrossed in the story).

It's criticism comes from what I have already said, wooden acting, but also the film never gages your interest and although by the end you feel you have seen a Pretty Good movie, the movie fails to leave a legacy with you, but that was just me, certain some will love it more. I don't think anything else is wrong but I know some will find this ridiculous and stupidly made, form your own opinion on this, it's worth a watch.

People who like Sci-Fi should enjoy this but it never takes that much of a dark tone to say it is a 15, much worse is around now and only at a 12 but Starship Troopers still manages to entertain and bring violence and gore that isn't fake. On that note if you don't like violence and gore don't watch it, it contains a lot and especially near the end, not loads of blood is seen but Alien guts don't make for a lovely sight.

Overall a 6.7/10 from me and it was Safely a Kind of Good film that pleased me but not so much as to say it straight good. I know some will like this and I think it may have a cult audience already, it's the kind of movie you can love to hate or hate to love and divides opinion because of it's cheesy like themes and not great acting, nevertheless see it and see what you think, calling all you Sci-Fi fans especially.
March 28, 2010
Great special effects for its time and has aged well.
J M.
April 19, 2014
"Will appeal to sci-fi buffs..."

***1/2

A super silly sci-fi that will appeal to sci-fi buffs, everyone else a one timer at best on a good day.

~

I give this film a C (Common)
April 1, 2014
One of the worst of the adaptations. Such lack of respect for the origin unforgivable. The temple of thought of a great writer was desecrated. Fascism has no relation to the story, why did the military in the form of Nazi-style is not clear. In the film there is no diversity. Just a fight with a giant beetles, no robots, no tanks, no military technology of the future. What invested 100 million dollars, is not clear.
November 5, 2007
Starship Troopers, upon re-watching it just recently, has all the marks of a great satirical film.
VIRGIL H.
March 19, 2014
Very entertaining. Verhoeven made another good one.
February 20, 2011
Super satirical, hilarious and ultra violent - Paul Verhoeven brings us a war-saturated vision of the future, a feast for the eyes and a refreshing idea. It is top class. The Human race is at war with a race of "bugs"? intent on wiping out everything in their path. The ongoing commentary and propaganda reports are pitched perfectly and whether you want to zone out to a great action romp or chew on the fatty political caricature of the western world, either way - it never disappoints. MEDIC!!!
March 11, 2008
One of the greatest science fiction movies of recent decades.
March 2, 2014
I love this movie and the special effects still hold up some how!