Starship Troopers 2: Hero of the Federation Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
February 14, 2012
Starship Troopers 2 is an awful sequel to a great film. Though the first Starship Troopers wasn't a masterpiece, the film was still a memorable, action packed sci-fi horror flick with plenty of effective action and gore. This direct to DVD title really doesn't hold up. This is a poorly written film with an awful cast. Director Phil Tippett clearly can't direct an effective sci-fi horror adventure. Starship Troopers is a missed opportunity to create a good film to a fun, entertaining film. This film is a slap in the face to Verhoeven's film. This has no substance, relies on poor effects that rally look cheap. Like I said before, the cast is horrible here. The films budget doesn't help this film one bit. I hated the fact that the film was treated as a direct to DVD film, and because of it, no effort was made to try and create something watchable or entertaining. But Starship Troopers suffers the same fate as so many other direct to DVD sequels, it's a poorly constructed film with no redeeming qualities. This film had the potential in being a great flick, but it was not to be. Starship Troopers 2 is an awful film that never should have been made. The film should have been much better than this. Unfortunately, the filmmakers delivered a film that is horrible. If you've enjoyed the first Starship Troopers, then skip this film.
May 25, 2011
Someone decided to take SST and try to turn it into "Alien/Aliens3", a SciFi thriller/suspense/horror.

Not exactly a bad idea, but the fact that the story almost feels parallel to an already existing film calls for some pretty remarkable execution to make itself credible.

Unfortunately, it doesn't meet those requirements either. (maybe due to the fact that this was straight-to-DVD) Atmospheric tension? I wish. Compelling characters? Not a chance. Good special effects? Hardly.
April 13, 2010
Not the best second film. But its not that bad at the same time. Its good some good effects and a quick script and some twists and turns, unfortunately most of it seems too familuar with a whole bunch of other sci fi films. But watch it , Kelly Carlson naked is entertaining!
January 13, 2007
A run of the mill low budget straight to DVD sequel. Considering the budget it isn't really bad but it's not good either. It borrows a lot of ideas from other films bit of a mix of Aliens, The Thing, Body snatchers. For a film that has a made for TV feel about it could have been a lot worse.
garyX
½ May 17, 2007
The remains of a Federation unit hole up in an abandoned outpost awaiting evacuation when it becomes apparent that they have a new bug threat in their midst. Starship Troopers is one of my favourite guilty pleasures. On the surface, it's just a dim-witted and militaristic sci-fi action movie, but underneath it's actually a very funny black comedy and social satire in a similar vein to Verhoeven's other darkly comic sci-fi actioner Robocop. But as with Robocop's sequel, the streak of black humour is removed for ST2, and what we have is a much more run of the mill affair. Aliens meets Invasion Of The Bodysnatchers in this no frills straight to DVD release that's executed efficiently enough and has some pretty decent effects; in fact it's rather reminiscent of the Resident Evil movies in feel and quality. It's done with little imagination and the ending is weak as it tries in a very half-hearted way to ape the political satire of the first film, but it's an inoffensive diversion that'll satisfy anyone with a couple of hours to kill and low expectations.
skactopus
½ October 12, 2008
I don't know what happened here, but somebody really dropped the ball with this one. The first Starship Troopers deserves a better sequel than this and I don't think there is any question as to why this is a straight to DVD movie.The plot surrounding this flick strays off from Starship Troopers. I'm not saying that this is a bad thing, but this is "Starship Troopers 2" for heaven's sake. In fact, other than the first and final 2 minutes, where the film employs the marketing theme from the first film, this does not feel like Starship Troopers. It feels like any typical science fiction creature movie.The setting is bland. The whole film takes place at a single military outpost. There is no daylight, so the entire film is dark. I guess we can thank the low budget for that. I give props to the writers for trying to make something different creature wise, but it just isn't anything spectacular.The CG does take a dive and that is not surprising. I think that is why you don't get a bunch of creature shots. The original arachnid creatures are the only returnees from the first film and they are not the major threat here.Richard Burgsi and Brenda Strong are the only 2 decent characters. Well, a nude Kelly Carlson is memorable too, but she does feel out of place in this picture. Going back to Brenda Strong, she is also in the first installment and she plays a totally different character. It's funny how that works out. She does kick some butt in here though.Ladies and gentlemen, feel free to leave this film on the shelf, especially if you like Starship Troopers. The only people that may get a kick out of this are low budget science fiction lovers.
½ July 15, 2008
A very low-budget, straight to dvd sequel to Paul Verhoevens masterpiece. It's bad in so many ways that it would be pointless to even start to write them down. Avoid it like a date invitation from Britney Spears!
puffchunk
December 2, 2007
Glad I saw this one for free. Still, lots of good gore and stuff that made the first one bearable.
December 31, 2012
Horrendous piece of garage would be too kind a description of Starship Troopers 2: Hero of the Federation. The tone of the film is all wrong; taking itself way too seriously and trying for a dark and terrifying motif. The acting is atrociously bad, as is the story. Starship Troopers 2: Hero of the Federation is a pathetic and poorly made film that just recycles old horror movie tropes.
April 18, 2008
The first one is more better than this. The movie was just stuck in the same location for the whole film, with most of the story going towards dialogue. But the actors were good.
iLeo
½ January 1, 2008
This was not so good, somewhere along the way the direction was lost.
chadroesti
½ February 24, 2007
Loved the book, liked the first movie - this sucked balls
½ December 14, 2013
Stupid and utter crap! Phil Tippett should stick to working on visual effects. The story and premise is idiotic and not even like the original film. All that this film has is nudity, violence, and bug splatter. Plus, I hate the fact that this film was direct to DVD and the camerawork was generic and stupid. Horrible, just horrible.
March 12, 2013
Chalk this one up as a horrible, cheesy, low budget, groan worthy sequel to the wonderful Paul Verhoeven original. Once you hit the halfway point though, it is worth it just for the "so-bad-it's-good" factor. Can't say I wasn't bored.
December 4, 2007
This movie I thought was better at least story mystery wise than the first. The second movie serves as more a freakish thriller than the first. Once again the acting seems a little cheesy but other than that it was a decent good film nontheless. 9 out of 10.
July 31, 2008
very different from the first one film but very cool quite the concept on the second film parasitic bugs that could control us from the inside sounds like a better and smarter brain Bug Overall i quite enjoyed this film kudos to the cast and director
½ January 26, 2012
Better shot and acted than you'd expect, but the inclusion of every war movie and scifi-horror stereotype does this film no favors. Watch it for the bad, including an awesome/terrible ending.
June 27, 2011
I think people are being harsh on Starship Troopers 2. While it's no question that it's not as good as the first film, it's a hell of a lot better than Starship Troopers 3: Marauder. It had the lowest budget of all 3 films but the budget was a decent amount, so the effects in this movie looked almost as good as the effects in the first one. That's probably due to the movie being produced and directed by Phil Tippett. Phil Tippet's studio was responsible for the effects in the first film. The cast also has some recognizble faces in it. This movie is notable for straying away from the Starship Troopers forumla and the complete absence of Johnny Rico's character. He is not even mentioned in this one. This movie was more of a straight-foward action/horror when you compare it to the first and third. There's one location, and all of it takes place in a single night with a small group of troopers. There wasn't much humor in this movie although there were parts that made me laugh. I don't know if they were intended for laughs or not though. There are only two kinds of bugs shown in the film. The regular warrior arachnids, and the new control bugs which take over human's beings bodies. The arachnids take a backseat to these new bugs. They are only shown in the beginning and the end of the movie. The rest of it focuses on these control bugs. While it's been done before, I liked the idea of the humans suddenly becoming a threat to each other and not knowing who to trust in the end. Honestly, it's a decent movie. The special effects are good and there's a pretty good amount of gore and action. What brings it down is that the acting isn't too great, the dialouge is corny at parts, the plot is nothing new or spectacular, and none of the original cast and characters come back from the first film. The only original cast member to return is Brenda Strong, although she plays a different character since her character from the first film was killed. It sounds like a longshot, but I'd recommend this movie to Starship Trooper fans or people who are just fans of sci-fi horror. If you don't like it, that's okay. But I would say at least give it a shot. Sci-fi horror fans who never saw the first film might enjoy this one more, since they will not be used to the big budget Hollywood film that was Starship Troopers 1.
½ July 7, 2010
"Starship Troopers 2" is an unnecessary sequel that should have been given more thought and money. Sure it features the same gore and fun as the first film, but the limited budget was definitely noticeable this time. The film switches to a horror flick in the second and third act... not a good move. Not recommended.
terris85017
September 16, 2009
(2004 Director: Phil Tippett) FOUND this sequel at Blockbusters one day....just crusing for something new or original to see. Had simply LOVED the original movie! This sequel was 'CAMPY" so that made it kind of fun in a nostalgic way! Just found out there was a third Troopers movie released in 2008!!

WORTH SEE! Follows storyline...just so many characters are bumped off by the bugs... Ahh..little Doogie Howzer!!