Movies Like The Statement

—— Sleepy Hollow: Season 2
62% Under the Dome: Season 2

The Statement Reviews

May 25, 2008
A film that doesn't know what point it wants to make. It flaunts great actors, but never delves into the region of "Why?" Everything in the film has happened, but should I care, should I watch? There is no sustaining hold, possibly making for the most awkward Jewison feature-- and awkward is a trend in his line.
January 11, 2013
Great performance by Tilda Swinton. It's important that stories like this one come to light and not be forgotten.
December 13, 2012
A good criminal-political suspense film with a wonderful cast and shining performance by Michael Caine, playing a French Nazi collaborator whose obsession with religion and absolution by priests doesn't really make the audience feel sorry for him, because he's not really sorry. The character is merely trying to get out of paying the ultimate penally for his crimes--damnation, but that doesn't stop him from committing further murder or really repenting. It's a fine line to play successfully for an actor, and Michael Caine plays it brilliantly. Again I disagree with many critics, because I found this film very intriguing.
August 26, 2007
Unfortunately unsatisfying film with a good cast & premise that simply falls short.
3568 C.
August 29, 2012
Slow-paced and deliberate, Michael Caine's performance reminds us of how he gained his legendary status.
August 23, 2012
Wow... all the 'top critics' seemed to pan it. The times, Vichy France, issues of ideology and the war (of course) rather negate true moralizing about this singular subject but I thought it was well done and properly acted. Certainly not a rotten tomato.
March 5, 2012
Una gran interpretación de Michael Caine no basta para que esta película no sea una completa garcha. Lamentable última película del ya octogenario Norman Jewison (Violinista en el tejado, Jesucristo Superestrella).
December 24, 2011
Intriguing historical thriller, Michael Caine shines in the lead role
Sophie B

October 22, 2011
I really liked the narrative behind this film, however I was slightly confused as to who I should be rooting for. Opening with (and following) Pierre Brossard we can see he is truly sorry for his actions. Is that just to calm his own nerves and make himself feel better? Maybe, but he still pained himself over what he has done which led me to believe we should be on his side and want him to escape. Certainly casting Michael Caine in this role does that. But at the end the filmmakers professed this film to the 7 Jews who were killed all those years ago, so why make their murderer so human and so compassionate? I also found it slightly slow at times when nothing to progress the narrative happened. This is a good film and whilst I won't be watching it for a long while it's something I'll definitely revisit. Thanks in part to Caine's brilliant performance!
July 23, 2011
Should have been ŕ French spooken movie, has a vague plot.
xobabygreekox
February 12, 2011
this makes me think alittle about Apt Pupil
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

August 4, 2010
Cast: Michael Caine, Tilda Swinton, Charlotte Rampling, Alan Bates, Jeremy Northam, Ciarán Hinds, John Neville, Matt Craven, Edward Petherbridge

Director: Norman Jewison

Summary: The buried sins of the past almost always find a way to surface in the present, as Frenchman Pierre Brossard (Michael Caine) discovers in this drama directed by Norman Jewison. Pierre's quiet life in southern France is disrupted as he's haunted by his betrayals. During World War II, his Nazi sympathizing led to the deaths of 14 Jews. With a Nazi hunter (Tilda Swinton), the police and hired killers on his trail, it's his turn to be the hunted.

My Thoughts: "The movie grabbed me right from the start with it's brilliant opening, but unfortunately it doesn't keep with that brilliance the entire film. In about thirty minutes in, it gets quite boring. Not one of Caine's best performances, but a movie he did carry on his own. It's basically him going from church to church in hiding. Not very interesting, but the story is. I wish they would have elaborated on it more then just showing Caine's character on the run. Also, what happened to this film being of french characters, they all sounded pretty british to me. Just not well made."
moviebuff18cab
January 11, 2005
THE STATEMENT (2003)
singforsupper
June 6, 2010
This movie is based on a compelling story but it is very poorly directed. First off, the convention of setting a movie in France with French characters and having them speak with British accents to make the movie seem "foreign" is outdated. It never really worked, but it did have commercial benefit in the mid to late 20th century. Today, with indie and Foreign film moving into the mainstream, it is almost laughable. This movie would have done better commercially and artistically if it had been in French with subtitles. Secondly, the director has created caricatures for the roles of the female judge, the detectives, priests and the rotund local politician. Michael Cain rises above this in spite of a vacuous mind of the director. This is a good example how dumbing down a movie for the masses doesn't always make for commercial success. Sometimes you just ruin the entire film.
siewmaywah
August 3, 2009
Woeful. It's stiff, it's clunky, it's mechanical, it never builds up urgency or tension. No matter how much leeway you want to give certain movies, it just isn't enough, and you will end up disliking them no matter how much you don't want to. Statement is one of them.
pinnakvinna
August 19, 2009
A former Nazi executioner who has never been brought to trial is being followed by hitmen and police investigators. He keeps outsmarting them and tries to find out who these people are.
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

April 24, 2009
Not one of michael caines best of films its a bit boring really just following him around with his life and it just was very exciting!
Pierluigi P

July 16, 2008
Michael Caine plays the only interesting part , but even he can't help the sinking feeling of this flat, slow, superficial, unsympathetic tv movie with big aspirations. Too bad to know also that this may be Norman Jewison's last movie.