The Station Agent - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Station Agent Reviews

October 28, 2015
The psychologically acute and truthful story about grief, loss, and friendship. It is not sentimental but deeply moving. The performance is outstanding in all characters.
October 11, 2015
A charming, honest and nice story, Peter Dinklage's breakout performance....
½ February 20, 2015
A masterpiece from Tom McCarthy about loneliness, friendship, and to be oneself.
This particular bunch a friends, Fin, Joe and Olivia give us some lessons of what life is and what to care for the others too.
½ August 22, 2015
Such a wonderfully strange mix of characters that works on every level
August 9, 2015
Very well cast, acted and well developed characters. There'sn't much happening, I still watched it until the end.
½ July 12, 2015
very well cast and well acted character study. Fun to see Peter Dinklage before he was Tyrion. Not much happens, but the people are well developed.
½ July 5, 2015
An odd film that fits somewhere on the border of heartfelt drama and quirky comedy. I liked the film, but I also got the feeling that it didn't know what to do with itself.
June 29, 2015
A decent amount more charming and interesting than your average "feel good movie that your mom will think is deep".
June 15, 2015
An hypnotic movie that is simple but with huge feelings and remarkable performance by the cast.
June 5, 2015
Manic Pixie Dream Dwarf anyone? Tom MCCarthy's Station agent is a particular type of early 2000s movie, coming out about the same time as Garden State, Elisabethtown or Lost in Translation. Yet it surpasses all the above. Full of precise, simple visual cues and a milquetoast indies soundtrack it manages to create a fascinating atmosphere around its central character, a mysanthropic dwarf named Finn, played by the now world famous Peter Dinklage. Two hard working actors that never made the big leagues round off the central cast, Patricia Clarkson (recently of the Maze Runner) and Bobby Cannavale (of Boardwalk Empire and Chef, off the top of my head) and acquit themselves spectacularly of the task. Michelle WIllams (My week with Marilyn's titular character) provides a manic pixie dream girlish love interest.

The movie is fascinating in a dream-like way. The world director McCarthy builds, with abandoned rural Jersey stations, strange train model stores and trackside saloons seems like a world that exist in a fairytale but this is, in a way, a fairytale. It is a story about misanthropy and healing, and one that is both endearing and captivating without going in the obvious places that, say Garden State does.

A good overall watch, especially for people who want to see Peter Dinklage's true range.
May 30, 2015
Loved it!! Peter Dinklage and Bobby Cannavele where a perfect combination. I could watch a Two hour plus movie with just them...
May 14, 2015
good lil indy com-dram.
April 26, 2015
A brilliant telling of a character whose fallen into an unknown void. If loneliness, relationships, passion and mortality were railroad spikes, this film would be driving them into your heart.
April 23, 2015
Watched it last night, mostly for Peter Dinklage. A good quirky little film.
April 20, 2015
After Game of Thrones and Elf I started to look for films with Dinklage and so far this is the best one by far, not saying the others were bad. His role in this film is unlike any you have seen before and it looks to be some of his early work. The film has a bit of a dark aide to it yet heartwarming at the same time. If you can dig this one up please check it out.
April 16, 2015
A sweet, intelligent, funny film.
April 7, 2015
Such a charming movie. Peter Dinklage shows off his ability in this movie. A very charming movie filled with genuinely funny and sad moments. Well worth checking out.
February 17, 2015
This film is one I really enjoy. The performances are fine and the subject matter - the move of an isolated man from solitude into friendship under some pretty unlikely circumstances - moves me.
January 29, 2015
A unique film which revels in restraint and the performances of its great cast. Full review later.
January 25, 2015