Stay Cool Reviews

½ January 7, 2012
This film had it's moments. The characters were enjoyable and the juxtaposation of the audio-book and the situations happening on the screen helped bring a third dimension to the story. The film has it's glitches and problems (such as a 37 year old being so easily manipulated by an 18 year old.) but it makes up with the connection you have with the lead character. This is my first polish brothers film and it makes me want to look into their films more so Mike & Michael, you got a new fan. P.S.- Wynona Ryder, hottest actress EVER!!!
July 19, 2010
If you girls really like prom nights , graduations ,highschool ...etc check it out! As for you guys still can watch it because it is not annoying at all.Well ,I watched it because Josh Holloway was in the cast :) Although he always reminds me of Sawyer (if you have watched Lost you know what I mean!),this was like a sweet version of him!!!
½ December 31, 2010
I purchased this one as an ex-rental before seeing it. Reading some of the reviews here, was a bit concerned I had picked up a crap one, but actually I found this not bad.
It is definitely not perfect, and has it's faults, the main one to me being the ending. (I am not a person who always needs a happy ending or a neatly tied up one, but it just felt that this was the type of movie that called for one). It's maybe pretending to be a little deeper than it really is.
To me, this is just a fun movie about a man, Henry, who goes back to his hometown years later, after having written a book about his high school years and the one who got away (Winona Ryder - lovely here - the best film I have seen her do for years). Some of it is a little far fetched, as others have complained. For reasons to silly to go into, he winds up back in high school, where an attractive young student played by Hillary Duff takes a shine to him and asks him to her prom. It doesn't all make sense totally (then again, I was on 3 days of insomnia when I watched this, so perhaps I was just missing bits. Highly possible), but I think what it was trying to do was draw parallels to his life as it was back then, and how it is now (as it also has a voiceover of bits of his book, and the fictional character of Lauren who is, of course, Winona Ryder's character, Scarlet, thinly disguised). So he does find himself in silly situations, such as Scarlet's boyfriend, (the bully), beating him up.
The movie itself is quite colourful to look at, kind of reminded me of Romy & Michele in parts (especially the funny scenes with Scarlet and her sarcastic best friend), Sean Astin also plays a funny over the top part as Henry's gay best friend who is a hairdresser. (Yes, stereotype). And Jon Cryer as Henry's sleazy agent. (Another 80's flashback!). Hillary is plastered all over the cover of the DVD (for the Australian release, anyhow), but its not really "her" movie. she doesn't appear in it a lot until around 45 minutes in. I think where this one will fail it is marketed to appeal to the present teen audience when really it is the 80's kids who will get a kick out of this.
I would say give it a go. Could have been better, but definitely not a fail..
Harlequin68
September 7, 2014
After graduating high school and getting as far away from his small home town as possible, Henry McCarthy(Mark Polish, who also wrote the screenplay while his brother Michael directed) made it big by writing a best selling novel about his high school experiences. That entitles him to give one high school commencement speach. But somehow the airline is not so impressed when they lose his luggage. At least Henry has friends(Sean Astin & Josh Holloway) who are still there to give him a ride from the airport. And then Henry starts immediately obsessing over Scarlet(Winona Ryder) who barely knew he existed in high school and has problems of her own currently with her ex-husband Brad(Marc Blucas).

"Stay Cool" is an uneven comedy with some great moments in amusingly detailing how high school never really ends. One can simply try to move on as best as one can. Just as much as Mark Polish's awkwardness in the lead works both for and against the movie, the movie's main strength comes from its supporting cast, namely Winona Ryder who definitely needs to be in more movies. Otherwise, there are a couple of odd references and product placement.
½ April 19, 2012
Stay Cool is a romantic comedy that has some fun, but doesn't quite know where it's going. The story involves a writer who returns to his hometown to deliver the commencement address at his former high school, and along the way he visits some old friends, including his former high school crush. The film has an interesting cast, which includes Mark Polish, Winona Ryder, Sean Astin and Hilary Duff. And while they all play some pretty fun characters, they don't always seem like they're in the same film. Still, a lot of the film works and it has some interesting things to say about the high school experience and how it affects our lives. Stay Cool has its moments, but has trouble delivering a satisfying story.
½ March 18, 2012
With a big cast and Mark Polish taking the writing and acting roles, Stay Cool lands mostly on its feet. About an author who returns to his hometown and revisits old relationships from high school, Stay Cool is slightly above any straight-to-DVD releases in its class, but still lacks that something special that sells it on the big screen.
September 5, 2009
Stay Cool-Comedy with Sean Astin, Josh Holloway (aka Lost‚(TM)s Sawyer) Winona Ryder Hilary Duff, John Cryer, Marc Blucas & Chevy Chase, Michael Gross (Family Ties) & Mark Polish. Author Henry McCarthy returns home as the honoree to give the commencement speech at his alma matter to the graduating class. Along with this, its like a high school reunion everywhere he goes as he comes across like his feelings for an old crush, his other class mates and then there‚(TM)s the current student who‚(TM)s making moves on him. This was a funny movie and well I have to add a few points for the Lost Boys poster in ‚~Henry‚(TM)s‚(TM) bedroom! However I have to say I LOVED Sean Astin‚(TM)s ‚Big Girl‚(TM) character. He just cracked me up, and Josh Holloway‚(TM)s ‚~Wino‚(TM) was cool too. B
½ February 10, 2015
If you have anything that wasn't finished at high school, you can do it sometime, just step in and stay cool with the consequences!
Harlequin68
September 7, 2014

½ July 1, 2013
An unexpectedly smart high school light comedy/drama. I'm writing this recently out of high school and enjoyed this movie to a decent extent because of how much I could relate to it. I don't know if I will feel the same way in twenty years or so but for now I still liked this film.

With a pretty impressive cast, this movie was pretty fun. The main character could have a lot better, but saying that I thought he did well with the more impressive cast around him. I mean you had Jon cryer Chevy chase and Winona Ryder to work with. Chase was one of the characters that did not work for me. He was really the main character of that one story line that was really unrealistic and irrelevant.

While I will say that obsessing with your high school for twenty years is ridiculous, being months out of high school I found the plot to be very interesting and creative. Obviously brining adults into a high school movie like this was not done well, where I was asking they know he's not really in high school, right? There were also a bit too much subplots that seemed to be used to fill in time when they could have done some really good stuff with what the movie is really about. That being said,I did enjoy them no matter how unnecessary they were.

I see how some say that this film is cliched and a ridiculous plot for a high school movie, but for me I found its current, personal relevance very fun to watch and reflect on. It's not something to be taken seriously as a statement on the four years of high school we all have but rather more of a fantasy where your high school thoughts are with you for years. Take it as a reflective work of your high school memories and enjoy!
December 4, 2012
good film in some parts
½ May 28, 2012
Terrible movie, in fact I couldn't finish it.
½ April 19, 2012
March 30, 2012
The curse of Hilary Duff continues. Nothing more to say really. Watch if you like someone in the cast otherwise avoid.
½ March 18, 2012
January 9, 2012
Considering the cast involved, I thought this movie would be better. Memories of crushing on Winona Ryder when I was younger was the only reason I made it through the whole thing.
½ January 7, 2012
February 19, 2011
Very funny movie. Recommend seeing it if you just want a good laugh
September 25, 2010
The more you watched the movie the less it made sense. The quality of the video and audio were also very poor.