Steel Magnolias - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Steel Magnolias Reviews

September 5, 2014
A bittersweet drama with a good cast and obviously made for women to see, and it deserves credit for making you laugh and cry at the same time even in the most melodramatic scenes, but the horrible last seven minutes should have been excised from it without a doubt.
½ May 14, 2013
Moving film. This is Olympia Dukakis' best role. I love it more than my luggage!
April 26, 2009
"The movie has an even balance of humor and tragedy. I think it's one of the best casts in a film. The ladies just play the roles so raw and honest you go on this roller coaster of emotions. The characters feel so real. Many women can relate to this film. The movie is about motherhood, friendship, family, loss, and love. This film will always be a huge favorite of mine. My niece is even named after one of the characters. I cry every single time I watch this movie.
Olympia Dukakis, Shirley MacLaine and Sally Field are my favorite ladies in the cast. It's a complete chick flick. If you enjoy a good story that might make you shed some tears, then see this one. If not for the story then for the great cast and acting."
August 8, 2007
"Oh, I wish I was in Dixie!" for the middle class suburban wife set. Obvious to a fault, its implied "girls are in this all together" message subverted by the constant backbiting gossip sessions in the beauty parlor where they make themselves "pretty", a girl power flag raiser pretender.
June 23, 2011
Heartwarming! A must see!
September 6, 2010
A beautiful drama, based on a play which is based on a true story. Plus I got to be in the play in high school! I love this movie, it has great actors, and I highly recommend it.
December 9, 2008
The 80's craze with strong Southern women was exemplified by this schmooze fest with some of the biggest Southern stars of the day. It's beautiful to witness female friendship along with a strand or streak of reality.
July 19, 2010
I had no idea what this movie was about, it had been quoted and talked about so much in front of me that i never thought i would have to see it. But i watched it.. heart warming and heart breaking all at the same time. Funny and charming. All star cast and I couldn't love Dolly Parton any more if i tried!
September 14, 2009
"Steel Magnolias" is about a group of southern women (Sally Field, Dolly Parton, Shirley McLaine, Daryl Hannah, Olympia Dukakis, and Julia Roberts) who develop strong friendships in a hair salon and in each others' lives. It might sound bland by that one-sentence summary I just attached to it, but believe me, it's far from being bland in any sense.
Without a doubt, "Steel Magnolias" is one of the best movies of the late 80's, if not one of the best movies of all time. The film follows the great actresses I mentioned in the last paragraph around the entire movie, while showing how they live their lives, their many ups and downs, and how they stand by each others' sides in both good times and bad.

Each of the women have their own personality. M'Lynn (Sally Field) is easy to get along with, Truvy (Dolly Parton) is almost always smiling and showing off her southern accent, Ouiser (Shirley MacLaine) seems to always be in a bad mood no matter what the situation, and I'll let you find out the other personalities for yourself.

"Steel Magnolias" is a VERY versatile movie, and aside from the extraordinary acting (especially by Sally Field and Shirley MacLaine), that's mainly what makes it such a great movie. Parts of the movie are downright hilarious, parts such as a bunch of birds being stuck in a certain tree are unforgettable, and parts will probably be tear-jerkers to many people. Best of all, all of these different elements and genres all successfully mix into one package and work tremendously together to create a classic movie called "Steel Magnolias."

To be honest, at first, I wasn't really expecting to like "Steel Magnolias" a whole lot after reading what it was about. But, as soon as I saw the stellar cast that was included, I knew it couldn't be that bad of a movie, so I gave it a shot. And I'm glad I gave in and did watch it because I got to see a GREAT all-around movie.

If you can handle a hilarious comedy movie that can be realistic and have a few sad parts, I recommend not just watching, but purchasing "Steel Magnolias." It will probably be one of your favorites. Oh yeah, did I mention that it never gets old? NOTE: That was my Amazon reviwe from the year 2001.
September 13, 2008
Steel Magnolias is such a very good movie all about a very good ensemble cast. There is no leading ladies or men but just very good plots and characters. Leading the pact of actors are: Sally Field, Julia Roberts, Daryl Hannah, Shirley Maclaine, Olympia Dukakis, Dolly Parton, Sam Shepard, and Dylan McDermott.

I truly love this movie that has many heart felt moments all throughout. If you have not as of yet seen this gem from 1989..what are you freak'n waiting for??!!!!
½ February 15, 2008
Fast forward through any scene that doesn't have Dolly, Olympia or Shirley in it and it's worth a rental. The rest of it is mind numbingly trite.
December 31, 2007
Said to be the ultimate chick flick this is a good story that is filled with laughs and tears that are expected. The cast is huge and as they go through the years all of the characters grow and become whole people.
½ June 22, 2007
I liked Shirley Maclaine and the armadillo cake. That's it. As a chick flick, this fails miserably. I didn't care at all what happened to the characters, especially not Julia Roberts.
May 31, 2007
Hilarious, sad, covers every emotion.
February 18, 2007
Pretty good movie, but pretty sad as well.
½ December 5, 2006
Fantastic film. Have the tissues ready.
February 9, 2008
Women measure their power together. But individually, they can stand alone.
March 1, 2007
It's okay. Not a masterpiece.
August 24, 2009
So sad! It was such a cute movie though. The cast was great, and the relationships between all of the women were touching and convincing.
½ November 17, 2010
As delightful as the female ensemble is, this movie uses a dramatic trick that cheapens it somewhat at the end. However, there are enough comic one-liners to make up for this. Olympia Dukakis and Shirley MacLaine are superb, and Dolly Parton is a natural. This is definitely a chick flick. It will make you cry, but it's not Terms of Endearment.