Listen: RT and /Film Join Forces on Step Up 2 Commentary Podcast!

Summary

Step Up 2: The Streets is now available on Netflix's Watch Instantly program. Listen along as RT's Jen Yamato joins the /Filmcast crew in a audio commentary sharing the joys and bare midriffs of the smash hit dance sequel. Back to Article

Comments

nogard46

joe smith

I'm a huge fan of this movie, some of the critisms of the movie are so off base, and so groundless, I've heard people say the actors in this film couldn't dance, they couldn't be more wrong, all the actors in this film have had extensive dance training especially Briana, Adam, Robert, and even the director Jon, this fact gives this film an incredible amount of street cred.

The background to this film is so facinating, how Jon chose the dancers, etc, etc.

The movies was well directed and very original, Jon did a great job considering how saturated the market is, seems like a dance movie/musical is made every month, (ie, HSM, Mama Mia, hairspray)

if I had to make a list of my top 5 fav movies of 2008, for sure Step Up 2 would be in the there, I would say number 5 atleast.

The last dance scene just absolutely blew my mind, its how every movie should reach its climax. I just can't praise this film enough.

Jan 8 - 01:53 PM

Jen Yamato

Jen Yamato

Listen to the commentary and watch it again, I think I was the only one of the four of us who liked Step Up 2 to begin with, but I don't think I was alone by the end of the movie...

Jan 8 - 02:15 PM

Hamboner

Brian Lorenzen

... Jen... you really like this movie?

Seriously?

Jan 8 - 02:26 PM

Hamboner

Brian Lorenzen

Well then I guess I do to!!!! Yeah!!!

Jan 8 - 02:26 PM

Jen Yamato

Jen Yamato

Step up, Hamboner! STEP UP!!!!!!!!!

Jan 8 - 02:41 PM

nogard46

joe smith

yeah I rented it on DVD and I had some serious doubts, I thought it was just going to be another copy cat movie, another wannabe. But when I started watching it I can tell Jon Chu took the subject seriously (upon researching I found out he has his own street dance crew) the movie just really drawn me in the music, the choreography, the settings.

I come off really angry on here because lately seems like everyone only cares about TDK, TDK was decent, but the fanboys really drowned out some movie gems in 2008. Step Up 2 is one, some of the others I really enjoyed in 2008 inclueds The Fall and Quarantine.

Jan 8 - 02:43 PM

Jen Yamato

Jen Yamato

Nogard - it's nice to hear that Step Up 2 The Streets has softened any TDK overload-induced ire. Seriously, Step Up 2 is some good watchable entertainment!

Jan 8 - 02:59 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

lol I listened to this earlier today on /film. Step Up 2 is a step up in Classics, ooh that Chase Collins guys!

Jan 8 - 03:26 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Also Jen, The Newsies is awesome and REAL men like it!\

Jan 8 - 04:12 PM

Jen Yamato

Jen Yamato

Jokerboy, you know just what to say to make a girl smile. NEWSIES FTW!

Jan 8 - 05:44 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Thats what I do Jen, thats what I do.

Jan 8 - 07:12 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Thats what I do Jen, thats what I do.

Jan 8 - 07:12 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Well, Jen... at least you're not afraid to say what you really think... I really mean that as a compliment. You know, it might be a fun B-movie... AMAZING! I actually wanna see it now! Hopefully, I'll know what the hell Flo Rida means.

Jan 8 - 08:57 PM

CaptainSiberia

Raymond Ogilvie

Um, why?

Jan 8 - 09:08 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Can it hurt? Hopefully not. If it is horrible, I'm blamin' Jen.

Jan 8 - 09:23 PM

mtgilchrist

Todd Gilchrist

Hey, if you think it's horrible the color commentary can only help...win-win situation, no?

Jan 8 - 10:29 PM

CaptainSiberia

Raymond Ogilvie

We would have to be suckers for punishment to watch this horrible movie. There's nothing win-win about it.

Jan 9 - 02:40 AM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Its actuallly not that bad but just mediocre but actuallymildly entertaining at times- its just a big old cliche.

Jan 9 - 06:22 AM

CaptainSiberia

Raymond Ogilvie

Jan 9 - 02:40 AM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Jan 9 - 06:22 AM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Jan 9 - 06:22 AM

inactive user

Jared King

Hey, I saw Step Up 2 last night on Netflix, and... well,... I just hatin' on it because it dope... okay, it was lousy. As DJ said "This ain't High School Musical". And that's a good thing. But I think jokerboy summed it up quite nicely... big cliche. Nevertheless, I did laugh at times during the some of the dialouge. But I mostly cringed. I can't recommend it. 4/10. At least I saw it. Well, everyone has a guilty pleasure. Ooh, and I know who Flo Rida is! It's about time I knew what you crazy kids were talking about.

Jan 9 - 09:35 AM

nogard46

joe smith

I think whats happening here is probably some of you arent experiencing this movie the way its meant to be, trust me if you watch Step up 2 on a crappy mono audio single 2 watt speaker, and a 10 inch old school tube TV, you won't get this film.

I saw it on my lcd flat with decent sound and the movie was just breath taking, the perfect mix of hip hop music and street style dance moves. There is no doubt elements of the story is cliche the class warfare, the akward dance audition, yes we seen those millions of times, but trust me what Jon Chu did especially with the last dance has never been seen before.

Jan 9 - 12:53 PM

CaptainSiberia

Raymond Ogilvie

No no no no no. Don't start telling us we're not appreciating this movie because of our equipment. That's an insult to everybody's intelligence.

Jan 9 - 04:13 PM

CaptainSiberia

Raymond Ogilvie

Jan 9 - 04:13 PM

New on DVD & Blu-Ray
New on DVD & Blu-Ray

Transcendence, Sabotage, Shōgun...

Pictures of classic movie pairs

Annabelle Trailer
Annabelle Trailer

Horror spin-off of The Conjuring

Laggies Trailer
Laggies Trailer

Keira Knightley is a responsible rebel